Used 2010 Jeep Patriot Sport Fleet SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Jeep Patriot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY a Jeep Patriot
By B Means

2010 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport Fleet 4dr SUV w/Prod. End 04/10 (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I usually buy cars/SUVs/pickups and drive them into until the wheels fall off. I like having at least 2 years without a car payment to really get my money's worth. I bought my Jeep Patriot with 15,000 miles on it and ran well for a year. From then on it has been mechanically unreliable. When I began having trouble with it, I looked up problems and found many other owners of Jeep Patriots with the same issues I was having. We live out away from any large city, so we drive a lot of highway miles. Very little stop and go traffic. COMMON MECHANICAL ISSUES: 1) Alternator will break down at 90K to 95K 2) Transmission will start to overheat (that's right, I said Transmission) at around 45K. Talking to the Jeep/Chrysler mechanics, the recommended transmission service for the Jeep Patriot is every 30k. To service a Jeep Patriot transmission, the mechanic has to drop the transmission. There are no drain plugs and no transmission dip sticks. INSANE! 3) Even if you do your transmission service every 30K, it makes a whining sound when it gets over 45K. Fortunately I was under warranty when my transmission went out and got a new one. The new one still whines. By the way, the transmission went out while I was away on work and my wife and two kids were driving. 4) To change any of the front lights, you have to remove the wheels on the front. Then remove the wheel well covers. Even then, it is a tight fit for medium hands. 5) To get to any moving part in the engine you have to have a lift and have professional tools to work on it. Pros 1) Cost of the vehicle 2) The sound system is very good. You can listen to great music quality while you are broke down on the side of the road waiting for a wrecker.

Greatest little SUV that'll save your life
By desi_o

2010 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport Fleet 4dr SUV w/Prod. End 04/10 (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Beautiful modern design in & out but quality of materials very cheap & features very basic, the bumpers can't take a hit for nothing. As a teen I shoved multiple friends in this car & took many road trips racking up 65k miles in 2 yrs still it performed amazingly, the seats are pretty comfortable especially the back seats & it has an amazing standard sound system! I ultimately had a tire blowout, due to negligence, at 60mph on a slippery, empty highway & crashed 3 times very hard totaling my baby but noone in the car even had whiplash due to the active head-restraints that activate during a crash. Besides a rust problem with the driver door & trunk door hinge this car was a great first!

Sound system quality, AUX input, Good MPG, Light-up cup holders, Ability to roll over random things with confidence, Cargo space, No prob passing cars on highway with 2.4L, Auto-Stick only really useful to make yellow lights before they turn red.

Most of the budget probably went to making it off road capable but music controls on the steering wheel would've been great, had to slam driver side door and trunk door due to rust after only 1 year, and why are the tires $160/tire?? Absolutely no one else but Goodyear makes these "special sized" wheels and it's only one option.

By MountainWoman

2010 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport Fleet 4dr SUV w/Prod. End 04/10 (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This baby hugs the curves well on my mountain highway, with a little boost from the CVT on steep side roads. It's quiet and comfortable; the heater clears all the windows well, and air circulation keeps it all fresh. There's plenty of room (and little nooks) to stash gear, tools, shopping bags. My neighbors all complimented the appearance, too!

Solid feel on the road. Some of the engine compartment is still accessible to the average do-it-herselfer. Lots of creature comforts: height-adjustable driver's seat, regular electical outlet, even lighted cup holders.

If I ate one more piece of chocolate cake, I might not fit so well into the snug seats. A cargo-area cover should be standard for security reasons, not optional.

LOVE IT!!!
By kuhilee721

2010 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport Fleet 4dr SUV w/Prod. End 04/10 (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I got my Jeep for Christmas!! So far has been a wonderful experience! Very fun to drive and extremely comfortable. When I started car shopping, I test drove a 2010 Ford Escape and the 2010 Patriot. The Patriot blew the Escape out of the water!! More giddy up and A LOT more comfortable. Also had a nicer interior and even better, a couple thousand dollars cheaper!!

The exterior design and the wheel and tire package. The chrome accents on the interior. Nice sound system and very comfortable seats. Lighted cup holders and rechargeable LED flashlight. Love that the back seats recline, will make for a comfortable road trip in the future!

Come down in price for 4WD option.

Patriotic about Patriot
By bruncrazy1

2010 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport Fleet 4dr SUV w/Prod. End 04/10 (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I just bought this vehicle with the 2.0 4 Cyl. and so my mileage is 32-34 highway, a drastic improvement from my 2002 Ford E150 Conversion van. Great headroom and interior space plus high safety marks made my decision between a Acion, Chevy HHR, Chrysler PT Cruiser and Jepp Compass. A real blast to drive and very comfy. I was impressed with features with a cheaper price than the Chevy HHR and a ton mor room, including headroom. I folded down the seats and carried two end tables, two 25" t.v. sets, and a small dresser.Good cargo space with seats down. Sun roof and Sirius/XM radio add to joy and the nine speaker system is plenty loud and clear.Lot of little extras make this the winner for me.

Removable l.e.d. recharging flashlight and fold out speakers for picnics or outdoor get togethers. Slap shift 6 speed trans.

Come down a bit for four wheel option. At 2,000 higher, that is a deal breaker for me.