Great CARS Deal (-8000)
By Rick on
2009 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)
My (Not) Clunker was a 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo that I hated to part with. A Dealer found a 4X4 Patriot Sport D with CVT1 two weeks into the program and I was able to get $8000 of the price. A no brainer. They had 55 before, but were all gone. It is not trail rated and my first 1000 miles has seen 5% on dirt roads in the hills. Does the ESP eat up gas mileage? Since it is a Sport D I had to install skid plates, hitch package, roof rack for kayaks/bikes. Planing next year for lift kit, 17" wheels and AT tires, front bumper with winch. It is a Jeep and will be treated as one. It has been a Jeep so far, but more off road tests yet to come. I expect good performance from this Patriot.
Favorite Features
Had to install cruise control. Still testing the CVT to find its capabilities and limits. So far good on power but there is a delay. Is the delay from the CVT or the electronic throttle? Room for me, the Patriot is small but not compact, it is about the same size as the my old Cherokee. Nice.
Suggested Improvements
Pad the arm rests and drivers door or offer elbow pads. ESP off at start up. Standard on all models: roof rack cross bars, tow hooks, fog lamps. Door pockets need to be longer to hold maps. Eliminate delay when accelerating. (Press throttle 1.2.3 accelerate ... let off 1.2.3 decelerate.) Cheers.