A nice go anywhere Jeep Patriot
By springbranch on
2009 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)
My 2.4 L 5-speed manual 4x4 Jeep Patriot is the most fun that I have had with any vehicle. Mine has 25,000 miles on it now, and they have been very fun miles. I had it up to its floorboards in both mud and sand, and it pulled itself out every time. I haul a 16.5 foot Lowe bass boat with it, and the four wheel drive does such a nice job on boat ramps. It is funny to see larger vehicles having trouble pulling up the ramps when my little jeep does it right now! This is a best buy vehicle, you cannot get a 4x4 with the capabilty of the Patriot unless you pay many thousands of dollars more. The Patriot is easy on the environment with its impressive gasoline mileage, I get 25 to 30 mpg.
Favorite Features
Innovative 4x4 system puts the power where you need it Good off road ability, mine has been through water, sand and mud and has never needed to be pulled out Good towing ability for its size Impressive room inside - Bigger on the inside than on the outside The back seats lean back, really nice for passengers during long rides. Gasoline Mileage!!! The Patriot saves me money and saves the planet. On flat land and staying below 65 mpg, mine can do 30 mpg. It always does 25 to 30 mpg except in extreme city driving.
Suggested Improvements
Would like a low-low first gear for the manual transmission for really tough off road environments. The current 5-speed has a 16:1 first gear ratio, which does the job but with more clutching than I would like. Can we have a 30:1 low-low gear? That would really be sweet.