Used 2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

Great CARS Deal (-8000)
By Rick

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My (Not) Clunker was a 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo that I hated to part with. A Dealer found a 4X4 Patriot Sport D with CVT1 two weeks into the program and I was able to get $8000 of the price. A no brainer. They had 55 before, but were all gone. It is not trail rated and my first 1000 miles has seen 5% on dirt roads in the hills. Does the ESP eat up gas mileage? Since it is a Sport D I had to install skid plates, hitch package, roof rack for kayaks/bikes. Planing next year for lift kit, 17" wheels and AT tires, front bumper with winch. It is a Jeep and will be treated as one. It has been a Jeep so far, but more off road tests yet to come. I expect good performance from this Patriot.

Had to install cruise control. Still testing the CVT to find its capabilities and limits. So far good on power but there is a delay. Is the delay from the CVT or the electronic throttle? Room for me, the Patriot is small but not compact, it is about the same size as the my old Cherokee. Nice.

Pad the arm rests and drivers door or offer elbow pads. ESP off at start up. Standard on all models: roof rack cross bars, tow hooks, fog lamps. Door pockets need to be longer to hold maps. Eliminate delay when accelerating. (Press throttle 1.2.3 accelerate ... let off 1.2.3 decelerate.) Cheers.

Maybe next time
By Jeepbuyer

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Small interior, blind spots, unheated mirrors that fog up, front seats that heat but aren't power, sliders for seats stick out way too far and could cause injury. Not much pep in the engine. Oh and did I mention the 13 1/2 gallon fuel tank? Way too small. SUV sits way too low to the ground I thought I was in a sports car not an SUV. I am a tall female who half the time cannot reach the controls of the sun roof. Does it sound like I am happy? Should have walked away from the deal. Next time I will buy another make or spend more money on a real Jeep.

My favorite feature is the sound system.

The car needs to sit higher, that's what people expect with an SUV and the tires are too small, yes you could spend more with the options. Also, the spare should be a full spare not a mini- like the car. Heated mirrors are a must especially with the 4x4 limited and it's price range.

ok so far
By gisco48

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have a tendency get into the gas a little. I'm not sure the cvt can take it. After a few quick starts, I could smell rubber burning. Fortunately, guarantee is lifetime. I've backed off the gas lately, afraid to kill this tranny in a few months. I would like to hear from other's that hit the gas a little, and have the Patriot with the cvt.

We'll see how this tranny holds up to a driver that needs fast acceleration for turnpike mergers and getting fast takeoff at red lights.

Beware of interior LEAKS
By spy178

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We just picked up our new patriot 09 limited, sun and sound package on 8/5/09 and noticed our 1st leak (water pouring out of the front Dome Light) about 2 weeks later (1st rain storm). Come to find a Recall was issued by Chrysler on 8/7/09 for the same issue. Everything else is great about the jeep, but i've already had to take it in to have the leak issue looked at. Dealer claims to have resolved the issue by clearing a drain in the sun room. Judging by the many online posts on this issue, the same leak or a new one is likely to return. I would suggest that if you are in the market for a new patriot, to at the very least take it through the car wash a couple times on the test drive.

The auto stick is fun to use and the leater interior is very comfortable.

Get one that doesn't leak.

Better Than Expected
By tfiks

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted an economical SUV that was still comfortable for a 6'3" guy with hip and back problems. The "Clunker" program w/the Chrysler rebate made picking the Patriot a no-brainer. The published reviews made me think I was "settling" for this car; but, after three tanks full, I'm very happy with my choice. I drove all day with three passengers yesterday and the guys in the backseat were comfortable. I'm satisfied with the engine performance and the CV auto too. I attached a small fish-eye mirror to the corner of the passenger side mirror and that helps w/the blind spot. I'm not crazy about the poor angle of upward visibility for a tall driver with the seat up and back.

I love the ability to upload music and the touchscreen controls with UConnect tunes. Comfortable seats; EVIC features (ave mpg, tire pressure, compass, air temp, etc) are nice. Although I'm not getting the MPGs others are touting, I'm very happy with the gas mileage. 110-volt outlet

Poor visibility with the short windows; limited space in the back; not much ground clearance (8 inches) for a SUV.