Used 2009 Jeep Patriot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jeep Patriot - Consumer Reviews

2009 Jeep Patriot

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

my 4th Patriot
By tom polcari phd

2009 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'm on my 52nd Chrysler product and of those, 4 were Jeep Patriots. Good gas mileage, even in the city. Ride is good, with plenty of interior space. Patriots went thru numerous improvements for 2009- interior design, noise levels, ride upgrades, etc. this year alone, I've had the orange and the black- one of. my favorite recent Chrysler products. Today. I may buy a Jeep Compass which is the Patriot's upscale cousin.

Favorite Features

Ride, fuel economy, seamless transmission, build quality, looks....

Suggested Improvements

One of Fiat's great new engines with even greater performance and economy...

I love my Patriot
By Michael in MT

2009 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland on this Patriot. I love the old Jeep but, the gas mileage was killing me so I was looking for a smaller SUV. I get 27mpg reliably on the highway and I occasionally get as high as 30mpg on the highway. My Patriot is fun to drive and feels solid on and off road. Wintery drivng is a pleasure with this Jeep - it actually is more effective in snow than my Grand Cherokee. I love the looks of my Jeep, I feel like I am driving a Jeep and not a minivan - like some of the other smaller SUV's in the same class. I only with that the interior was a bit more refined, though, it is a Jeep afterall and the interior suits the vehicle's heritage and purpose.

Favorite Features

The many safety features, I like the CVT now that I am used to it and the excellent gas mileage. The Patriot has plenty of pickup - it will climb all of the MT mountain passes 80mph with little effort.

Suggested Improvements

A more refined interior would be preferred. Some additional sound insulation would also be beneficial. The engine runs great and has plenty of pep but it can be a bit noisy when it is laboring .

9 month update
By Luganathan

2009 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Have now owned my Patriot for nine months. This vehicle is better than expected. Drives much better than my previous vehicle with was a Forester. The new interior design on the 09 really makes you feel like your driving a luxury crossover. Once you learn how to drive the CVT is becomes very smooth and a joy to drive. I did have the dreaded front dome light leak in April, i brought it in, they replaced a seal and after a record breaking amount of rainfall over the summer I have not had any other problems with it. Once the CVT gets broken in a little, gas mileage improves. I now average about 25.5 on the highway (on long trips) and 22+ city. Pretty good for a 4x4.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, 17" wheels, new interior, amazing stereo, very good gas mileage. I highly recommend upgrading to a limited. The leather/heated seats are great, stereo is amazing and sunroof is nice.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had a bigger gas tank. Would be nice if the original tires were better. The firestone affinity tires are light on thread and won't last long.

Great so far
By Greg

2009 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Had it since it for about 9 months now and so far love it, got it with sunroof and speed control. Is very fun to drive and very stable. I read some of the other reviews and agree with some but some others do not agree. The gas tank is too small (I agree), Roomy is yes, there is a delay when you put in gear before it engages. It being to low to the ground, No, it is prefect. The sounds system is great. Have not really noticed the seat adjustment be to far in or out. The 17" wheels have very good traction even with a 2 wheel drive.

Favorite Features

Most everything.

Suggested Improvements

Needs to be able to mix and match add- in's, like I wanted to get the built- in GPS and not the leather seats.

Great car..... So far
By Fred

2009 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We have 5500 miles on it and it averages about 25mpg all around. We bought the Limited FWD with the sun roof... and yep it leaked. We took it back to the dealer and they replaced it. Hope that fixed it. Drives great, fun to drive and looks good. We got the extended warranty (Max) thought it a good deal. All in all its been a great car.. gets down the road great.

Favorite Features

The tranny works great (CVT), color (Red) is really pretty. Good MPG, and handles good..

Suggested Improvements

Needs a full time 12V out let for Cell Phones, Maybe electric seats.