Used 2009 Jeep Patriot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jeep Patriot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

patroit sunroof leaks even after 4 visits to the dealer
By trlist77

2009 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 2009 Partoit has a sunroof and leaks all the time. had it to the dealer 4 times prior to today and they said to stop parking by trees. Very poor customer service and the quality of this factory installed sunroof is unacceptable. Ours is a 2 wheel drive automatic model, but edmunds only thinks this model comes with a manual tranny.

very nice fair weather vehicle. keep it out of the rain and out of the snow.

get one without the sunroof.

Bought as a cheap ride, but it's much better
By arlobigwater

2009 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Traded under Cash for Clunkers and got one of the few Sport models with the 22 package and the Trail Rated Freedom Drive II. That's the upgraded CVT. This vehicle is MUCH better thought out than I expected. I have dragged boulders for landscaping, taken it off road, towed a small cargo trailer, and commuted in all weather conditions. I am in CO, and we have had some ferocious snow. This thing is better in snow in some ways than my LR3. It bombs up and down fire roads and climbs obstacles like a champ. It gets about 24 MPG. No rattles, leaks, thumps or whistles. If you need a cheap small SUV with decent off road ability and MPG, but still is smooth enough to commute in, this is the de

FD II off road capability, snow handling, cargo capacity.

Gas tank is too small. Really too small.

Frustrated!!!
By jstacy0320

2009 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Patriot for almost two years and am extremely aggravated. After having it for three months I started to experience trouble. I would be sitting at a stoplight waiting for it to change green and the car would start to sputter and act like it was going to die. Several times it did actually die. I took it to the dealership and was told that I had trash in the gas tank and it wasn't covered under warranty. Paid close to $300 for that and continue to have the same problem. I also have problems with the sunroof leaking. I've had it in the shop three times for that problem and continue to have issues. Probably going to file Lemon law because of all the issues.

Look and feel of vehicle. Comfortable and fun to drive.

Fix whatever issue is going on in the motor causing it to stall and die and redesign the sunroof so that it doesn't leak every time it rains hard.

Aggravated and disappointed!
By patty0011

2009 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Jeep Patriot for 7 months and had an occuring problem. It only happens occasionally, and of course never when I take into the dealership. Often while waiting at a traffic light for the green light, my motor has a hesitation. "Meaning when I am at the light, foot on the break, the motor makes a noise and jumps like it is cutting off." I have to literally put the vehicle in park and wait for the light to turn, then put it in drive to go. Has anyone had this problem or know what it can be?

Better gas mileage, and power seats.

A nice go anywhere Jeep Patriot
By springbranch

2009 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 2.4 L 5-speed manual 4x4 Jeep Patriot is the most fun that I have had with any vehicle. Mine has 25,000 miles on it now, and they have been very fun miles. I had it up to its floorboards in both mud and sand, and it pulled itself out every time. I haul a 16.5 foot Lowe bass boat with it, and the four wheel drive does such a nice job on boat ramps. It is funny to see larger vehicles having trouble pulling up the ramps when my little jeep does it right now! This is a best buy vehicle, you cannot get a 4x4 with the capabilty of the Patriot unless you pay many thousands of dollars more. The Patriot is easy on the environment with its impressive gasoline mileage, I get 25 to 30 mpg.

Innovative 4x4 system puts the power where you need it Good off road ability, mine has been through water, sand and mud and has never needed to be pulled out Good towing ability for its size Impressive room inside - Bigger on the inside than on the outside The back seats lean back, really nice for passengers during long rides. Gasoline Mileage!!! The Patriot saves me money and saves the planet. On flat land and staying below 65 mpg, mine can do 30 mpg. It always does 25 to 30 mpg except in extreme city driving.

Would like a low-low first gear for the manual transmission for really tough off road environments. The current 5-speed has a 16:1 first gear ratio, which does the job but with more clutching than I would like. Can we have a 30:1 low-low gear? That would really be sweet.