2009 Jeep Patriot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:
From Wonderful to Nightmare to Wonderful
By jeepers21 on 12/13/14 07:43 AM (PST)

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

It drove great until about 4 months ago & that's when things started going down hill. It started cutting out every time I would go to drive (started w/ 2-3x before it would drive & increased to 4-6x, even cut out while driving down the road). Talk about stress! Took it to a mechanic who fixed everything he could (throttle body, cam sensor) but it turned out to be a computer issue, which he could not fix it with out Chrysler's permission. Jeep, who after I told them what I already had fixed, was able to replace the computer (PCM) with ease. Also, Thank God for the Federal Admissions warranty that's out there bc this turned out to be a common problem with this model & would of cost $$$$$$$$

BUYERS BEWARE!!!!!
By xerxes27 on 09/07/13 07:19 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new. It has been very gently driven, never off road, never in an accident and well maintained. I was very happy with it until it recently began making creaking noises. The dealer has informed me my 4 1/2 year old car with 72,000 miles needs struts, mounts, sway bar links, lower control arms, ball joints, rear toe links, and a front end alignment. Their estimate is $2090!!! The suspension should have lasted longer than this. I am heartbroken. This will be the last American made vehicle I own.

WORST JEEP EVER
By iichukid on 07/21/13 00:16 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Worst car EVER.. I traded in my 2007 Sonata Limited V6 bought it brand new(which never gave me any type of problems @ 130,981miles besides oil/filter change and 4 new tires) for the 2009 Patriot needed a 4WD vehicle and it SUCKS. I got the Jeep a month ago and due to CVT trans problems I had to take it back to dealer and it been in the dealer since then only had for a week and gotta take it back this week cause now is the CVT trans plus shocks absorbers, axels, and struts....... I'm going to make the last 5 payments in August just to get read of it...... Worst Jeep EVER....... And BTW the Jeep only have 60,451 miles.....

I'm tired of its bugginess.
By jeepgirl123 on 07/13/12 05:46 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love Jeep products and was excited to buy this car. I've had it for 3 years but the little things wrong are getting annoying. 1. Leaky moonroof. I've been to the dealer 5 times, but stopped going after the warranty ran out. Water pours from the dome light after it rains. They told me it is because I park under trees and the drain pipe is plugged. I gave up and now just keep a towel handy. 2. Stalls when its cold. I'll drive down the road and get to the stop sign. I'll try to go and the engine is completely shut off. It quietly shuts down. 3. Temperature display is stuck on 73 degrees. 4. Radio is completely dead when it gets really hot out. (No display at all)

Wear a raincoat.
By cwing54 on 01/27/12 16:38 PM (PST)

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I originally bought the vehicle because of the interior space. It had more backseat leg room than even the Commander. Like everything about the vehicle except the leaking sunroof. Had it to the dealer 8 times and they have not been able to provide a permanent fix. Dealers been fair but can't get anywhere with Chrysler

patroit sunroof leaks even after 4 visits to the dealer
By trlist77 on 07/11/11 17:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 2009 Partoit has a sunroof and leaks all the time. had it to the dealer 4 times prior to today and they said to stop parking by trees. Very poor customer service and the quality of this factory installed sunroof is unacceptable. Ours is a 2 wheel drive automatic model, but edmunds only thinks this model comes with a manual tranny.

Bought as a cheap ride, but it's much better
By arlobigwater on 05/10/11 12:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Traded under Cash for Clunkers and got one of the few Sport models with the 22 package and the Trail Rated Freedom Drive II. That's the upgraded CVT. This vehicle is MUCH better thought out than I expected. I have dragged boulders for landscaping, taken it off road, towed a small cargo trailer, and commuted in all weather conditions. I am in CO, and we have had some ferocious snow. This thing is better in snow in some ways than my LR3. It bombs up and down fire roads and climbs obstacles like a champ. It gets about 24 MPG. No rattles, leaks, thumps or whistles. If you need a cheap small SUV with decent off road ability and MPG, but still is smooth enough to commute in, this is the de

Frustrated!!!
By jstacy0320 on 03/29/11 07:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Patriot for almost two years and am extremely aggravated. After having it for three months I started to experience trouble. I would be sitting at a stoplight waiting for it to change green and the car would start to sputter and act like it was going to die. Several times it did actually die. I took it to the dealership and was told that I had trash in the gas tank and it wasn't covered under warranty. Paid close to $300 for that and continue to have the same problem. I also have problems with the sunroof leaking. I've had it in the shop three times for that problem and continue to have issues. Probably going to file Lemon law because of all the issues.

Aggravated and disappointed!
By patty0011 on 03/20/11 19:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Jeep Patriot for 7 months and had an occuring problem. It only happens occasionally, and of course never when I take into the dealership. Often while waiting at a traffic light for the green light, my motor has a hesitation. "Meaning when I am at the light, foot on the break, the motor makes a noise and jumps like it is cutting off." I have to literally put the vehicle in park and wait for the light to turn, then put it in drive to go. Has anyone had this problem or know what it can be?

A nice go anywhere Jeep Patriot
By springbranch on 01/08/11 21:06 PM (PST)

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 2.4 L 5-speed manual 4x4 Jeep Patriot is the most fun that I have had with any vehicle. Mine has 25,000 miles on it now, and they have been very fun miles. I had it up to its floorboards in both mud and sand, and it pulled itself out every time. I haul a 16.5 foot Lowe bass boat with it, and the four wheel drive does such a nice job on boat ramps. It is funny to see larger vehicles having trouble pulling up the ramps when my little jeep does it right now! This is a best buy vehicle, you cannot get a 4x4 with the capabilty of the Patriot unless you pay many thousands of dollars more. The Patriot is easy on the environment with its impressive gasoline mileage, I get 25 to 30 mpg.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Jeep Patriot Suv in VA is:

$120 per month*