Used 2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

Good little SUV until it hit 100,000 miles
By Aaron Kelts

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car brand new and have meticulously maintained it. We have been happy with it for many years and is a comfortable daily driver. We have had problems with the transmission overheating throughout the years. It seems that the filter and fluid needs changed every year instead of the dealer recommended 60-80k miles.

It gets better fuel economy around town than the highway as at high speeds the little 4 cylinder works pretty hard to keep it moving at over 70 mph.

Recently though, we had the check engine light come on (even though the car still runs and drives fine?) and I replaced what should have been the faulty part and the old code cleared but a new code came up. We took it to a shop who again replaced the part and they could not get the new code to clear for them either. They diagnosed it as a fault in the computer and recommended a new one. I installed a new computer and the code will still not clear. We are dreading taking it to the dealership as the local Jeep dealer is a con artist and it may cost a quarter of what we could sell the car for to get it fixed. Depending on what the dealer quotes us for repairs we may be looking for a new vehicle instead, but it won't be a Jeep SUV that is for sure.

Piece of Junk
By Mike

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a new 2009 Jeep Patriot . The dealership replaced the transmission after 3 years due to overheating and noise. After I reached the 50k mileage mark, I have replaced most of the front suspension i.e. (Upper/lower control arms, etc.) a few times every 15k miles. I have heard from various mechanics that all low priced Jeeps are constantly in the shop with issues. I will NEVER purchase another JEEP or Chrysler product.

versitle car
By Rick

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Jeep new in 2010. It now has 76k on it. The tires lasted 60k miles. Mostly routine maintenance. I still enjoy driving this vehicle and take it on long trips in comfort. Because of the miles ,year and good resale value I will probably get a new one.. I think this car has the best bang for the buck in its class.

From Wonderful to Nightmare to Wonderful
By jeepers21

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

It drove great until about 4 months ago & that's when things started going down hill. It started cutting out every time I would go to drive (started w/ 2-3x before it would drive & increased to 4-6x, even cut out while driving down the road). Talk about stress! Took it to a mechanic who fixed everything he could (throttle body, cam sensor) but it turned out to be a computer issue, which he could not fix it with out Chrysler's permission. Jeep, who after I told them what I already had fixed, was able to replace the computer (PCM) with ease. Also, Thank God for the Federal Admissions warranty that's out there bc this turned out to be a common problem with this model & would of cost $$$$$$$$

I bought an '09 Jeep Patriot in 2012 because it had everything I was looking for, its not to big but not to small either. It is a Perfect size for living in the city ( w/ off road options as well) & has capabilities to carry a lot of stuff which is what I needed. I am able to carry my huge tennis hopper, tennis bag and other tennis accessories with no problem (i even fit a 7 ft rug in there one day). It also a perfect road trip car ( It has been to NYC & NC); it has great gas mileage, & I was able to load my girlfriend, dogs, dog bed & all of our bags/necessities with ease. Honestly, I love everything about this car because of the simplicity of it & it ran great until the computer issues.

If your patriot keeps cutting out/ stalling (completely dying over and over) it is a computer problem and common mechanic cannot fix it. If it starts cutting out on on you Take it to Jeep/Chrysler immediately bc they will be able to fix it immediately. It is a computer problem (PCM) & only they have the capabilities to fix it. So, There is hope! Now that the PCM is fixed my patriot drives wonderful again, its like a whole new Jeep! I sure did miss my jeep for the 4 months it was having trouble and the 1 month is was in the mechanic shop. For the record, Jeep/Chrysler fixed this problem in 1 day! Which is amazing! Also, if you are buying a patriot, get the warranty the dealer offers!

BUYERS BEWARE!!!!!
By xerxes27

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new. It has been very gently driven, never off road, never in an accident and well maintained. I was very happy with it until it recently began making creaking noises. The dealer has informed me my 4 1/2 year old car with 72,000 miles needs struts, mounts, sway bar links, lower control arms, ball joints, rear toe links, and a front end alignment. Their estimate is $2090!!! The suspension should have lasted longer than this. I am heartbroken. This will be the last American made vehicle I own.

None anymore.

Service manager stated these are common issues for this year model. Upon doing internet research, this is indeed true. He stated his wife had a Patriot that needed this work done at 50,000 miles so I should be grateful mine lasted longer. He even had the audacity to suggest I take a look at the 2011 or newer models as they had addressed the problems that my vehicle has!!! Why would I ever consider buying another Jeep when this one has let me down so severely? He could not come up with an answer to that question.