Used 2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jeep Patriot - Consumer Reviews

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

From Wonderful to Nightmare to Wonderful
By jeepers21

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

It drove great until about 4 months ago & that's when things started going down hill. It started cutting out every time I would go to drive (started w/ 2-3x before it would drive & increased to 4-6x, even cut out while driving down the road). Talk about stress! Took it to a mechanic who fixed everything he could (throttle body, cam sensor) but it turned out to be a computer issue, which he could not fix it with out Chrysler's permission. Jeep, who after I told them what I already had fixed, was able to replace the computer (PCM) with ease. Also, Thank God for the Federal Admissions warranty that's out there bc this turned out to be a common problem with this model & would of cost $$$$$$$$

Favorite Features

I bought an '09 Jeep Patriot in 2012 because it had everything I was looking for, its not to big but not to small either. It is a Perfect size for living in the city ( w/ off road options as well) & has capabilities to carry a lot of stuff which is what I needed. I am able to carry my huge tennis hopper, tennis bag and other tennis accessories with no problem (i even fit a 7 ft rug in there one day). It also a perfect road trip car ( It has been to NYC & NC); it has great gas mileage, & I was able to load my girlfriend, dogs, dog bed & all of our bags/necessities with ease. Honestly, I love everything about this car because of the simplicity of it & it ran great until the computer issues.

Suggested Improvements

If your patriot keeps cutting out/ stalling (completely dying over and over) it is a computer problem and common mechanic cannot fix it. If it starts cutting out on on you Take it to Jeep/Chrysler immediately bc they will be able to fix it immediately. It is a computer problem (PCM) & only they have the capabilities to fix it. So, There is hope! Now that the PCM is fixed my patriot drives wonderful again, its like a whole new Jeep! I sure did miss my jeep for the 4 months it was having trouble and the 1 month is was in the mechanic shop. For the record, Jeep/Chrysler fixed this problem in 1 day! Which is amazing! Also, if you are buying a patriot, get the warranty the dealer offers!

BUYERS BEWARE!!!!!
By xerxes27

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new. It has been very gently driven, never off road, never in an accident and well maintained. I was very happy with it until it recently began making creaking noises. The dealer has informed me my 4 1/2 year old car with 72,000 miles needs struts, mounts, sway bar links, lower control arms, ball joints, rear toe links, and a front end alignment. Their estimate is $2090!!! The suspension should have lasted longer than this. I am heartbroken. This will be the last American made vehicle I own.

Favorite Features

None anymore.

Suggested Improvements

Service manager stated these are common issues for this year model. Upon doing internet research, this is indeed true. He stated his wife had a Patriot that needed this work done at 50,000 miles so I should be grateful mine lasted longer. He even had the audacity to suggest I take a look at the 2011 or newer models as they had addressed the problems that my vehicle has!!! Why would I ever consider buying another Jeep when this one has let me down so severely? He could not come up with an answer to that question.

WORST JEEP EVER
By iichukid

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Worst car EVER.. I traded in my 2007 Sonata Limited V6 bought it brand new(which never gave me any type of problems @ 130,981miles besides oil/filter change and 4 new tires) for the 2009 Patriot needed a 4WD vehicle and it SUCKS. I got the Jeep a month ago and due to CVT trans problems I had to take it back to dealer and it been in the dealer since then only had for a week and gotta take it back this week cause now is the CVT trans plus shocks absorbers, axels, and struts....... I'm going to make the last 5 payments in August just to get read of it...... Worst Jeep EVER....... And BTW the Jeep only have 60,451 miles.....

Favorite Features

4WD, Heated seats, premium wheels...

I'm tired of its bugginess.
By jeepgirl123

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love Jeep products and was excited to buy this car. I've had it for 3 years but the little things wrong are getting annoying. 1. Leaky moonroof. I've been to the dealer 5 times, but stopped going after the warranty ran out. Water pours from the dome light after it rains. They told me it is because I park under trees and the drain pipe is plugged. I gave up and now just keep a towel handy. 2. Stalls when its cold. I'll drive down the road and get to the stop sign. I'll try to go and the engine is completely shut off. It quietly shuts down. 3. Temperature display is stuck on 73 degrees. 4. Radio is completely dead when it gets really hot out. (No display at all)

Favorite Features

I love how comfortable and roomy the car is. I've taken it camping and across country on a road trip. The car is fun to drive! I got the high end sound system and music sounds amazing! I do LOVE this car (except for the few bugs).

Suggested Improvements

Fix the issues. I see the other reviews and I know that this is a design flaw or factory build issue. Can I expect a recall? Please?

Wear a raincoat.
By cwing54

2009 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I originally bought the vehicle because of the interior space. It had more backseat leg room than even the Commander. Like everything about the vehicle except the leaking sunroof. Had it to the dealer 8 times and they have not been able to provide a permanent fix. Dealers been fair but can't get anywhere with Chrysler

Favorite Features

Economy, comfort, excellent snow vehicle, excellent sound system.

Suggested Improvements

With all the complaints I read the sunroof is a factory defect. Fix it!!! Make the front ends look like the 2012 Compass. Add a diesel with manual shift