Used 2009 Jeep Patriot Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jeep Patriot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

From Wonderful to Nightmare to Wonderful
By jeepers21

2009 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

It drove great until about 4 months ago & that's when things started going down hill. It started cutting out every time I would go to drive (started w/ 2-3x before it would drive & increased to 4-6x, even cut out while driving down the road). Talk about stress! Took it to a mechanic who fixed everything he could (throttle body, cam sensor) but it turned out to be a computer issue, which he could not fix it with out Chrysler's permission. Jeep, who after I told them what I already had fixed, was able to replace the computer (PCM) with ease. Also, Thank God for the Federal Admissions warranty that's out there bc this turned out to be a common problem with this model & would of cost $$$$$$$$

I bought an '09 Jeep Patriot in 2012 because it had everything I was looking for, its not to big but not to small either. It is a Perfect size for living in the city ( w/ off road options as well) & has capabilities to carry a lot of stuff which is what I needed. I am able to carry my huge tennis hopper, tennis bag and other tennis accessories with no problem (i even fit a 7 ft rug in there one day). It also a perfect road trip car ( It has been to NYC & NC); it has great gas mileage, & I was able to load my girlfriend, dogs, dog bed & all of our bags/necessities with ease. Honestly, I love everything about this car because of the simplicity of it & it ran great until the computer issues.

If your patriot keeps cutting out/ stalling (completely dying over and over) it is a computer problem and common mechanic cannot fix it. If it starts cutting out on on you Take it to Jeep/Chrysler immediately bc they will be able to fix it immediately. It is a computer problem (PCM) & only they have the capabilities to fix it. So, There is hope! Now that the PCM is fixed my patriot drives wonderful again, its like a whole new Jeep! I sure did miss my jeep for the 4 months it was having trouble and the 1 month is was in the mechanic shop. For the record, Jeep/Chrysler fixed this problem in 1 day! Which is amazing! Also, if you are buying a patriot, get the warranty the dealer offers!

BUYERS BEWARE!!!!!
By xerxes27

2009 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new. It has been very gently driven, never off road, never in an accident and well maintained. I was very happy with it until it recently began making creaking noises. The dealer has informed me my 4 1/2 year old car with 72,000 miles needs struts, mounts, sway bar links, lower control arms, ball joints, rear toe links, and a front end alignment. Their estimate is $2090!!! The suspension should have lasted longer than this. I am heartbroken. This will be the last American made vehicle I own.

None anymore.

Service manager stated these are common issues for this year model. Upon doing internet research, this is indeed true. He stated his wife had a Patriot that needed this work done at 50,000 miles so I should be grateful mine lasted longer. He even had the audacity to suggest I take a look at the 2011 or newer models as they had addressed the problems that my vehicle has!!! Why would I ever consider buying another Jeep when this one has let me down so severely? He could not come up with an answer to that question.

Frustrated!!!
By jstacy0320

2009 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Patriot for almost two years and am extremely aggravated. After having it for three months I started to experience trouble. I would be sitting at a stoplight waiting for it to change green and the car would start to sputter and act like it was going to die. Several times it did actually die. I took it to the dealership and was told that I had trash in the gas tank and it wasn't covered under warranty. Paid close to $300 for that and continue to have the same problem. I also have problems with the sunroof leaking. I've had it in the shop three times for that problem and continue to have issues. Probably going to file Lemon law because of all the issues.

Look and feel of vehicle. Comfortable and fun to drive.

Fix whatever issue is going on in the motor causing it to stall and die and redesign the sunroof so that it doesn't leak every time it rains hard.

A nice go anywhere Jeep Patriot
By springbranch

2009 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 2.4 L 5-speed manual 4x4 Jeep Patriot is the most fun that I have had with any vehicle. Mine has 25,000 miles on it now, and they have been very fun miles. I had it up to its floorboards in both mud and sand, and it pulled itself out every time. I haul a 16.5 foot Lowe bass boat with it, and the four wheel drive does such a nice job on boat ramps. It is funny to see larger vehicles having trouble pulling up the ramps when my little jeep does it right now! This is a best buy vehicle, you cannot get a 4x4 with the capabilty of the Patriot unless you pay many thousands of dollars more. The Patriot is easy on the environment with its impressive gasoline mileage, I get 25 to 30 mpg.

Innovative 4x4 system puts the power where you need it Good off road ability, mine has been through water, sand and mud and has never needed to be pulled out Good towing ability for its size Impressive room inside - Bigger on the inside than on the outside The back seats lean back, really nice for passengers during long rides. Gasoline Mileage!!! The Patriot saves me money and saves the planet. On flat land and staying below 65 mpg, mine can do 30 mpg. It always does 25 to 30 mpg except in extreme city driving.

Would like a low-low first gear for the manual transmission for really tough off road environments. The current 5-speed has a 16:1 first gear ratio, which does the job but with more clutching than I would like. Can we have a 30:1 low-low gear? That would really be sweet.

Excellent Value, Safe, and Reliable
By Frank

2009 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

GREAT buy. Very safe, great MPG (28 Hwy with the stick), good looking, very inexpensive. Have had for 3 years, 35K miles, absolutely no issues. Even the tires are still in great shape!

reliability, gas mileage, low sticker price, lifetime powertrain warranty,safety, great in Wisconsin winter weather

wish the back seats folded down in sections, that's about it