Used to love mine but...
By luvmyxterra on
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)
I bought my '08 Patriot new, and loved it. It was one of the only 5 speed 4x4s available and it was a great value, coming equipped with a moonroof, cruise, power windows, and a built in inverter, among my favorite accessories. I loved the ingenious little spare flashlight that doubled as the rear dome light. What happened? First, the moonroof leaks at random, and will dump up to 1/2 a cup of water on my dash (and me) at will. The ball joints failed at 45K, making it feel like I was driving on marbles, making horrible clunking sounds when I drove over bumps. Luckily bumper to bumper covered it, but now rust bubbles are the deal breaker. Looking to trade for a Mitsu Outlander.
Favorite Features
Many extras added in, including auxillary inverter that will allow you to plug in a 110 plug - has helped when the 12 volt plug was in use for something else (like rear DVD players) and I needed to charge my phone. It's relatively fun to drive, and great in the snow/ice. The mileage is good on long trips due to the 5 speed.
Suggested Improvements
Build quality is very disappointing. While I love my sunroof in good weather, I curse it after a strong downpour - I'm sick of getting rained on. Rust bubbling through the paint at 45k is unacceptable. Not happy about that. Faulty ball joints that required complete replacement of both lower control arms is ridiculous at such low milage - tie rod ends were changed just to be safe, but come on, really? That shouldn't be either - Jeep should have put a recall on this because it's a known design flaw with the caliber chassis. I love Jeeps, but I have to part with mine. It has a querky throttle which consistently gets stuck when the engine is cold, causing the car to buck.
By borjas85
on 03/29/12 13:53 PM (PDT)

I also have a jeep patriot and i sued the chrysler and won the case because i had just about the same sh** going on with my patriot and i had just enough of the issues. i would only buy a ford or chev or VW. do not buy a Mist! i also had got a Mist at car max and i just had to many issues with it and that is why i traded it in for my brand new jeep patriot, YEA i said it patriot that was also a big F**** up, well that being said if any one needs a lawyer for any issues on a jeep patriot please fill free to post a comment and i will be more than happy to help out .