Used 2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Consumer Reviews - 214 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

2008 Jeep Patriot 4WD 2.4 Engine CVT
By gbrehmer

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Pat 2 1/2 years and have been very satisfied. I have since reached 40K miles with out any issues worth mentioning (with exception of sqeaky brakes for the first couple of brake applications, and this should be considered a minor issue).
True Cost of Ownership for buying anything is very important to me and anyone on a tight budget would probably feel likewise. For all those on board since 2008 Edmunds has listed this vehicle for the least expensive SUV to own when considering Depreciation, Taxes & Fees, Financing, Fuel costs, Insurance, and associated Maintenance expenses. For those in question please go to http://www.edmunds.com/tco.html and see for you self. Please note thos

Patriot
By Dan

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Have had nothing but problems. Will never buy another Jeep or Chrysler product. Trans went out at 60k. Ball joints and control arms are shot at 65k. ESP module went out along with the cruise at 50k. Back window leaks slightly. Don't know what is next?

Not much at this point.

Seats are horrible. Can't go more than a 100 miles. Gas tank too small. More power and Better quality!

Transmission
By jeep owner

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We have one of the groaning, rattly and very noisy transmission patriots. We were very happy with the jeep until we hit 45,000 km. The noise started, took jeep in several times received all sorts of different comments from the service dept. At one point we were told we would require a new tranny, but it is still road worthy. Chrysler Canada test drove and said no to transmission. Biggest problem, we turn heads when driving at slow speeds and the jeep vibrates. How can we sell a vehicle in good faith when it talks that loud? Not happy

Mid-Term Review (2 yrs) - North Edition
By quattroNORTH

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The Pat can rattle driving on gravel roads or offroad. Esp annoying are rattles coming from inside the steering column & the int. dr panels. Gas mileage can be sensitive, so stick to the manual's instructions. Take-off & passing perf are slow, & you'd have to make your engine scream. But once momentum kicks in, it can be quite quick. Extreme cold weather starts (even plugged-in) can hesitate. Looks are great w/ lift kit & interior is roomy for its class. Pkg & value are superb, and offroad abilities are still good for its class. But too many Dodge Caliber parts. And 4WD LOCK doesn't seem to make much difference. Great looks & handling in snow and otherwise. SIRIUS reception can be spotty.

Exterior looks esp with the 3" RRO lift kit, stain-repel & heated front seats, rear reclining bench, interior storage with seats down, and overall value and package. Light off road abilities are good but interiors can start rattling fairly quick. Winter handling is great. Overall, GREAT little SUV.

More horsepower & torque, quieter engines, better fuel mileage, less rattles/squeaks/clunks, and use less Dodge Caliber parts - this is supposed to be a Jeep!! Stock SIRIUS satellite radio reception can be crap, and no display of artist/song info. Get diesel for N America for improved pwr and mpg.

well I love it but.....
By hmm

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my patriot but, I am disappointed in it's lack of of road ability. Let me explain. I bought my Pat brand new and at 3000 miles took it into the mountains of Colorado to go fishing. My clutch cylinder exploded climbing a steep hill. My faith in Jeeps legendary reliability off road has been shaken. Why even call it a jeep? Don't get me wrong I love my Pat, but calling it a Jeep is huge stretch. It is agile on the highways, gets great mpg, does amazing in snow, sand traction is good too, and it looks great. But low clearance, no crawl gear, and a lack of power cause it to die trying to navigate steep slow moving trails. Buy one, love one, but don't expect to keep up with it's brethren.

A toss up between the gas mileage and the lifetime power train warranty. 30,000 miles and going strong, I will keep it forever or until Jeep buys it back to save on warranty costs. ;)

Follow the retro craze and call it an AMC Eagle as that would prepare the buyer for it's true capabilities or limitations.