Used 2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

Mid-Term Review (2 yrs) - North Edition
By quattroNORTH

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The Pat can rattle driving on gravel roads or offroad. Esp annoying are rattles coming from inside the steering column & the int. dr panels. Gas mileage can be sensitive, so stick to the manual's instructions. Take-off & passing perf are slow, & you'd have to make your engine scream. But once momentum kicks in, it can be quite quick. Extreme cold weather starts (even plugged-in) can hesitate. Looks are great w/ lift kit & interior is roomy for its class. Pkg & value are superb, and offroad abilities are still good for its class. But too many Dodge Caliber parts. And 4WD LOCK doesn't seem to make much difference. Great looks & handling in snow and otherwise. SIRIUS reception can be spotty.

Exterior looks esp with the 3" RRO lift kit, stain-repel & heated front seats, rear reclining bench, interior storage with seats down, and overall value and package. Light off road abilities are good but interiors can start rattling fairly quick. Winter handling is great. Overall, GREAT little SUV.

More horsepower & torque, quieter engines, better fuel mileage, less rattles/squeaks/clunks, and use less Dodge Caliber parts - this is supposed to be a Jeep!! Stock SIRIUS satellite radio reception can be crap, and no display of artist/song info. Get diesel for N America for improved pwr and mpg.

well I love it but.....
By hmm

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my patriot but, I am disappointed in it's lack of of road ability. Let me explain. I bought my Pat brand new and at 3000 miles took it into the mountains of Colorado to go fishing. My clutch cylinder exploded climbing a steep hill. My faith in Jeeps legendary reliability off road has been shaken. Why even call it a jeep? Don't get me wrong I love my Pat, but calling it a Jeep is huge stretch. It is agile on the highways, gets great mpg, does amazing in snow, sand traction is good too, and it looks great. But low clearance, no crawl gear, and a lack of power cause it to die trying to navigate steep slow moving trails. Buy one, love one, but don't expect to keep up with it's brethren.

A toss up between the gas mileage and the lifetime power train warranty. 30,000 miles and going strong, I will keep it forever or until Jeep buys it back to save on warranty costs. ;)

Follow the retro craze and call it an AMC Eagle as that would prepare the buyer for it's true capabilities or limitations.

Skeptical
By Sarah

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

About two years ago I purchased a 2008 Jeep Patriot brand new and have had an overall good experience until it started making weird noises whenever I accelerated. Well, it turns out at around 30,000 miles I need to replace my CVT. Thank god it is still under warranty! Other minor problems are that the tires constantly squeak whenever I go around turns and it does no handle well at high speeds, especially with the windows down.

The seats are very comfortable and the Jeep is not only easy to drive, but fun.

It is very cheap looking on the inside, too much plastic.

Everyone loves riots
By RiotDan

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had a wrangler for 6 years and loved every minute of it. However, just like everyone else loosing money at the pump, i needed something a little more gpm friendly. Depressed, i looked at sedans and small trucks until i saw the riot. i did cartwheels as the dealer told me i could have the fuel eco i wanted and still parade around in my American build 4 banger with teeth.

I've had a stick vehicle so getting used to an auto is tough. However, i like the fact that i can quickly drop the riot in to a lower gear with the autostick for a quick pick up in speed. The riot is incredibly roomy as well. As unpopular as they are, i think the seats are very comfortable.

the gas tank is actually kinda small. I only had a 14 gal on my wrangler but it seems that the 2 gal difference to the patriot is noticeable. i still get 20 mpg but not for as long as i want.

So far I love it.
By Darren

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the FDII 4x4. We wanted a 4x4 that was good on fuel. The Toyota FJ was the only other that looked like it could handle off road but it was way too expensive.

A comfortable interior, so far reliable, side air bags, reasonable price

Slightly underpowered for off road.