Used 2008 Jeep Patriot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Patriot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

40K miles and looking to sell
By justin53

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have written 2 previous revies on the patriot, both positive. The last report was around 20k miles. At 38K miles I had to replace the font end lower control arms (ball joints) and the mechanic told me this was not uncommon for this model lately. The repair plus the tires I burned through before I realizes the problem cost $1400! Now I am at 40K and believe by starter is burnt out. When used car shopping I usually consider 40K the break in period. I bought the Patriot new and now think 40K is the life span.

cost to buy

gas milage, pick up, reliability

Transmission / Leaks / 60K Buying a Patriot Read this...
By lipjunkiee

2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x4. I bought it two years ago with only 5K miles. One month after I bought the car the back light dome and flash light filled up with water. They stripped my interior out and gave me new interior and had to weld the problem. Two months ago 200 miles after my warranty expired the leak came back - but worse! I took it in for a diagnostic. They told me a stick had plugged my drainage tube for my sunroof. WOW! I never use my sunroof. THEN after I get my transmission serviced - fluid changed etc 500.00 dollars later... and two months later my TRANSMISSION goes out.... It's going to cost me $ 5,150.00 dollars to replace it. CVT TRANSMISSIONS ARE NOT RELIABLE!

The interior is nice, but it's what's under the hood that matters.

Dump the CVT - This car will leave you stranded!

2008 Jeep Patriot 4WD 2.4 Engine CVT
By gbrehmer

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Pat 2 1/2 years and have been very satisfied. I have since reached 40K miles with out any issues worth mentioning (with exception of sqeaky brakes for the first couple of brake applications, and this should be considered a minor issue). True Cost of Ownership for buying anything is very important to me and anyone on a tight budget would probably feel likewise. For all those on board since 2008 Edmunds has listed this vehicle for the least expensive SUV to own when considering Depreciation, Taxes & Fees, Financing, Fuel costs, Insurance, and associated Maintenance expenses. For those in question please go to http://www.edmunds.com/tco.html and see for you self. Please note thos

Patriot
By Dan

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Have had nothing but problems. Will never buy another Jeep or Chrysler product. Trans went out at 60k. Ball joints and control arms are shot at 65k. ESP module went out along with the cruise at 50k. Back window leaks slightly. Don't know what is next?

Not much at this point.

Seats are horrible. Can't go more than a 100 miles. Gas tank too small. More power and Better quality!

Transmission
By jeep owner

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We have one of the groaning, rattly and very noisy transmission patriots. We were very happy with the jeep until we hit 45,000 km. The noise started, took jeep in several times received all sorts of different comments from the service dept. At one point we were told we would require a new tranny, but it is still road worthy. Chrysler Canada test drove and said no to transmission. Biggest problem, we turn heads when driving at slow speeds and the jeep vibrates. How can we sell a vehicle in good faith when it talks that loud? Not happy