2008 Jeep Patriot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:
Tight fit for infant seats
By Justin on 10/05/09 20:18 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven this car for 18 months. I have had no problems to date. It handles very well in snow, rain, and muddy dirt roads. Fuel economy is around 24-25, but decreases significantly with anything on the roof. I just installed two infant seats and barely fit them in. I am 5'10" and had to pull the seat 1 click forward from my usual position to fit them in. If you have long legs and plan on adding a car seat, buy different car.

could be better, could be worse.
By Warren on 10/04/09 16:46 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Rear view mirror positioned too low causing visibility problems. Plastic door finish vibrates. Lots of road noise. Water leaks in front dome light (could be front window seal?). Impossible to utilize indicator switch at night without flipping to high beam. Great gas mileage (45 imperial mpg @ 60 mph on flat highway, 30 mpg in town). Mechanical no problems whatsoever after 12,000 miles. Tremendous traction in snow.

better than rav-4 & crv
By Pam in LA on 09/29/09 20:52 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My first time writing a review, but had to let everyone know how well the Jeep Patriot drives. I had mine almost two years and haven't had one issue to repair or replace. Love the plastic interior as I have two big dogs. Seats are comfortable and easily cleaned. The performance is great. I do a lot of city driving and still average 24 mpg. I couldn't beat the price of less than $13,000! Well done Jeep. With the money I saved not buying a Rav-4 or CRV, I had a great cross country trip in my Patriot.

Fun to Drive
By Wolfgang on 08/19/09 15:15 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We have owned this Patriot since February 2008. We are glad that we chose and were able to get the manual transmission with the 2.4L engine. You need to plan to accelerate and be in the right gear when passing or other. Yes, it would be nice to have more power (or maybe a small turbo), but it has been a great vehicle. For the price and options we have, it has delivered all we expected and more. The only "glitch" has been on rare occasions where we have experienced some type of "unbalance" when driving and using the 4 x 4. It is not a wheel or tire issue, possibly something with the transfer case. We plan to replace it with an identical model, if we can find one on a dealer lot someday

A Keeper!
By Honey on 08/17/09 09:33 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After driving a van for so many years, I wanted something smaller and more gas efficient. In the city I get 20-21 mpg. I don't touch the "stick shift" and I'm fine with that. On the highway it "a dream" I thought that the small engine would sputter, but it's "smooth as silk", no hesitation in front of any vehicle!! Once friends and family see the style and learn about the package they are impressed, and want to drive my " Flaming Red Beauty"!

Just mine?
By special k on 08/04/09 07:22 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Well - I'm a die-hard jeep fan....of Wranglers!! Had a Sahara and then a Rubicon...but the mileage was killing me - so I downgraded to a better MPG model. This car is no fun and I had the engine REPLACED at 13,000 miles and as of today - the entire A/C unit is being replaced as I key. As soon as this lease is up - I'm going back to the Wrangler!

Better Than Expected
By Tom R on 07/09/09 10:10 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A pleasant surprise. After being locked into Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans for 25 years I am very happy with my Patriot. It is a Jeep so the creature comforts are prioritized a hair lower - fine by me. Love the look, the practicality and the affordabilty. Great size for commuting- rides higher than a sedan and fits in any parking space with ease. This 4 cylinder has plenty of power (see favorite features). I question anyone complaining about the power - this from a man who learned to drive in a '73 Malibu with a 350 V8. If the long term reliability is any good this will be my best new car purchase ever.

Pat's Performance Passes
By choco on 07/05/09 08:03 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Acceleration is gradual, but will be good enough for merging in the freeway. It handles like a car. The back pillar does create a blind spot, but the large side mirrors help slightly with the issue. Overall, I love driving my Patriot...maybe a little too much.

Much More Than You Pay For
By zulu45 on 06/29/09 20:51 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2008 Patriot 4WD. It is not the trail-rated version, but has the CVT2. Since purchasing it, I have had it during two ice storms, one in early 2008, and the horrific one here in Kentucky in 2009. And during both storms, there was one constant: this Jeep just can't get stuck! No matter where I was driving, even without being the trail-rated version, it handled everything, including hills that full-sized trucks with off-road packages couldn't even come close to handling. The fuel economy is great, but it's not sluggish. Acceleration is great, and the auto-stick is a lot of fun, and helps with city MPGs. The interior isn't luxurious, but it's a great utility interior.

a predicatable 4 Cylinder Jeep
By Matt K on 06/27/09 21:15 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Overall a very nice car. I enjoy driving it around places and it is very rugged. Gone over some medians in some midnight runs and it handles them like a jeep should. (haha) Gas mileage is around 19MPG for me in the city with the AC always on frozen. I really hate the small 13.5 gallon tank for gas, the Honda CRV's tank is 2 gallons bigger! The CVT makes some noise during hard acceleration but overall fairly quiet. The car pulls pretty well around 4K RPMs (torque curve). I don't drive like a grandma which could also point to the less than standard gas mileage.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Jeep Patriot Suv in NJ is:

$201 per month*