Used 2008 Jeep Patriot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Patriot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

Update- 122k, still no non wear repairs
By jeepking

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I wrote a review about my Patriot at 60k, only repair then was a light bulb. Since then I have 122k and have only had to replace wear items. Just did a new clutch at 122k, did rear brakes at 110k and front at 120k. My hope is the next clutch goes longer, I live in Minnesota and when I replaced the stock Goodyears with Michelins my snow performance went to ****, I have two wheel drive and did put some snow tires on (Kumhos), and that has worked out well. Point is I think I did a lot of damage to my clutch trying to get out of stuff without snow tires.

Favorite Features

I like my Jeep dealer and suggest you go to a dealer versus Tires Plus, Midas, etc. those sorts of places always seem to find stuff wrong and the dealer confirms the repair is not all that needed. And when I get quotes the dealer is less. I think dealers just have more incentive for you to be happy and keep you coming back. They want you to buy another car. Wheras the Tires Plus of the world just want to make as much as they can on that one visit. My advise, if one of those places says you need new shocks, get a second opinion. Yeah there may have been a slight leak but the dealer told me to wait till I noticed it in my ride. And when I do the dealers quote was half.

Suggested Improvements

They should do a better job of attaching the windshield molding, any strong car wash dryer system has blown mine right off. I did have it all glued down and it has not been a problem since.

UNBELIEVABLE VALUE
By janetjrm

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car off the lot with 31 miles on it. Just got rid of it with 137000. Only repair was new tires. I drove this car into the ground. Terrific for small SUV. 4WD is awesome made it up my huge hill of a driveway every time. Never had a repair bill. put on more than 30000 a year and it never failed me. My favorite car!!! Only let it go as I needed larger SUV for my german shepherd. It is small, but 4 cyl gas mileage 18 in town and 25+ on Hwy. Highly recommend this vehicle, very fun to drive, easy to park. I miss it already!

Favorite Features

gas mileage, looks, no repairs in 137000 miles

Suggested Improvements

absolutely none!

143,143 miles to date
By west_lawn_mark

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased our Patriot new in 2008 and I have put on quite a few miles in that time. I enjoy the car. It is fun to drive, and good in snow. I have heard people complain about FWD Compasses in the snow but I have no similar complaints. I do not worry about driving in the snow at all (except for other drivers). With the electronic traction control I rarely need 4 x 4. I have even taken the Patriot off road on the beach in Corolla, NC and it performed pretty well. I that situation it benefited from being light and not getting bogged down in the sand. The adjustable seat works from my 5' 2" wife and my 6' 4" son in law.

Favorite Features

I like the stability in rain and snow. The gas mileage is good @ 26 mpg. I enjoy driving it. It is stable in the turns, but, not a sports car. The radio, mp3, cd is pretty good, and I love that it has a 110v plug. It is a reliable vehicle. I have over 140k miles and have only suspension repairs to date. I STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL BRAKES!

Suggested Improvements

I have had to replace wheel bearings and tie rods. That was annoying. The engine is a 4 cylinder but it is okay. I was getting hesitation but after cleaning the fuel injectors and replacing the plugs it is running like new.

40K miles and looking to sell
By justin53

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have written 2 previous revies on the patriot, both positive. The last report was around 20k miles. At 38K miles I had to replace the font end lower control arms (ball joints) and the mechanic told me this was not uncommon for this model lately. The repair plus the tires I burned through before I realizes the problem cost $1400! Now I am at 40K and believe by starter is burnt out. When used car shopping I usually consider 40K the break in period. I bought the Patriot new and now think 40K is the life span.

Favorite Features

cost to buy

Suggested Improvements

gas milage, pick up, reliability

Transmission / Leaks / 60K Buying a Patriot Read this...
By lipjunkiee

2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x4. I bought it two years ago with only 5K miles. One month after I bought the car the back light dome and flash light filled up with water. They stripped my interior out and gave me new interior and had to weld the problem. Two months ago 200 miles after my warranty expired the leak came back - but worse! I took it in for a diagnostic. They told me a stick had plugged my drainage tube for my sunroof. WOW! I never use my sunroof. THEN after I get my transmission serviced - fluid changed etc 500.00 dollars later... and two months later my TRANSMISSION goes out.... It's going to cost me $ 5,150.00 dollars to replace it. CVT TRANSMISSIONS ARE NOT RELIABLE!

Favorite Features

The interior is nice, but it's what's under the hood that matters.

Suggested Improvements

Dump the CVT - This car will leave you stranded!