2008 Jeep Patriot Consumer Review: 40K miles and looking to sell

2008 Jeep Patriot - Consumer Review

Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual)

40K miles and looking to sell
By justin53 on

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have written 2 previous revies on the patriot, both positive. The last report was around 20k miles. At 38K miles I had to replace the font end lower control arms (ball joints) and the mechanic told me this was not uncommon for this model lately. The repair plus the tires I burned through before I realizes the problem cost $1400! Now I am at 40K and believe by starter is burnt out. When used car shopping I usually consider 40K the break in period. I bought the Patriot new and now think 40K is the life span.

Favorite Features

cost to buy

Suggested Improvements

gas milage, pick up, reliability
By albert30
on 10/18/11 16:23 PM (PDT)

That should have been noticed by the mechanic far before the 36k end of the warranty. I would find a better person to look over the car for me and my money, I have not had the ball joint problems but I have traveled other cities for business and the roads are sucking pretty badly in them I had a Camry rental with 27000 miles that had a pretty bad clunk when driving down the street. I did not blame the Toy for that it is the city pothole authority to blame.

By luvmyxterra
on 12/11/11 19:35 PM (PST)

I just had both of my lower control arms replaced at 47K - a friend of mine owns a caliber and needed the same work done. It's a known problem with the caliber chassis. My sunroof leaks, so I don't dare bring it through an automatic car wash. The dealer says there's nothing they can do about it, and that it's an inherent problem with power sunroofs. If they're so problematic, why are they in so many cars? I'll never buy a car with a sunroof again. Looking to replace my Patriot with a different SUV. I'm disappointed because overall I liked the vehicle. Wish it had better build quality.