Used 2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

Stay away from the cheap jeep
By alanhatesjeep

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The most expensive car to maintain I have ever owned in 34 years. Like everyone, I have replaced tie rods, and ball joints continuously since I bought this jeep new in 2008. I also replaced the engine in 2012, due to a broken connecting rod, at 118,000 kilometers. Chrysler refused to warrant, as it was past 100,000 km. Thought I would just run it into the ground after I paid over $6,000 to have a used engine installed. Guess what? At a 130,000, a pin in the driver door snapped off and now the door will not close. Probably not a big repair, but enough is a enough. It is no longer insured.

It did handle well in the snow, when it was running

Ask Chrysler to repay their bailouts immediately, so they can no longer build the lowest quality vehicles in the world

JUNK CAR JUNK COMPANY
By kh0864

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I would like to add to my previous review... We went to the dealership and got our transmission looked at, and they confirmed at 100,000Km on a FIVE yr old car the transmission needs to be replaced... The best part.. the factory warranty is expired by TWO MONTHS and Jeep/Chrysler head office will NOT warranty it.. 2 [non-permissible content removed] MONTHS!!!!! Oh and the BEST part... They tell us it will be $5300.00 to replace...What a joke!!!! First and LAST time we ever buy an American car. Very disappointed, I really loved the looks of this car, too bad they can't get the CVT right.

CVT TRANSMISSION
By kh0864

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I just bought a 2008 Patriot, fell in love with it right away!! Loved the rugged looking exterior of an SUV/Truck with the gas mileage of a car! Unfortunately the love was short lived. ONE day after buying this Jeep it started to make a whinning noise which was coming from the front end.. We had a bad feeling it was the CVT transmission so we took it into the Chrysler/Jeep dealership and our suspisions were right.. It needs a new CVT Transmission!! a 5 year old car with 100,000KM on it should NOT need a new transmission!!! So to anyone looking to get a Patriot don't fall in love with the Exterior/Interior when what's under the hood doesnt stand up to par!!!

Rugged Exterior, Roomy interior, Radio and speakers are the best factory sound system I've ever heard!

GET A BETTER TRANSMISSION!!!!! Doesn't matter how nice the Jeep looks if it wont run and your transmission dies after 5 years when Honda's, Toyotas and many other Japanese vehicles go well over 300,000KM

Loving it still.... 5 years in
By dbt1979

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2008 Jeep Patriot in August 2008. It was a daily rental return that just under 20,000 km on it. Almost 5 years later and I've had next to no problems with this vehicle besides wear parts. I got the extended warranty to 5 years / 100,000 km and the only warranty work that I needed was the fuel evap cannister that was hanging off (I probably ran over something) and there was minor work needed to be back end (sway bars and such) that was causing crunching noises when I went over bumps. Less than $600 warranty work in 5 years. I replaced the front brakes at 60 K and the back brakes (drums and all) at 95 K. 4 new tires at 60 K and I'll 4 new ones at 110K

The inside isn't the best but I'm not somebody who looks for a lot of options on a car. I got the North Edition so nothing fancy, but it suits my needs. Favourite option is the fold down front seat because I can get full 8 foot 2 X4 in the Riot and get the trunk closed.

I am done with Jeep
By suzib1

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have replaced too many things on this vehicle to keep track. Ball joints (and I think they are bad again), transmission, tie rods, calipers, and assortment of belts, etc. I was hoping to have this vehicle for many years but it is becoming such an expense to upkeep that I may end up trading it in and dealing with a car payment again. I was looking for better gas mileage with 4-wheel drive than my Jeep Liberty, but the Patriot feels very cheap and apparently is made to break bit by bit. Even the dealership is stumped by the myriad of warning lights that turn on and won't turn off or simply stop working all together. Piece of garbage and don't waste your money and patience.

I like my sunroof...that's about it at this point

The middle seat in the back is really not functional as there is zero legroom.

• SUV