2008 Jeep Patriot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:
Money Pit... Eats tires!
By ginahweenah on 01/10/12 16:38 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Patriot new off the lot with 28 miles on it. We've put a new set of tires on it yearly as it tears up the inside of the front tires despite getting them rotated every two months. We have had to replace something for the rack and pinion steering on the passenger side and a tie rod twice on the passenger side. Looking to trade in and go back to Toyota. Will NEVER buy a Jeep again!

Used to love mine but...
By luvmyxterra on 12/11/11 19:31 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '08 Patriot new, and loved it. It was one of the only 5 speed 4x4s available and it was a great value, coming equipped with a moonroof, cruise, power windows, and a built in inverter, among my favorite accessories. I loved the ingenious little spare flashlight that doubled as the rear dome light. What happened? First, the moonroof leaks at random, and will dump up to 1/2 a cup of water on my dash (and me) at will. The ball joints failed at 45K, making it feel like I was driving on marbles, making horrible clunking sounds when I drove over bumps. Luckily bumper to bumper covered it, but now rust bubbles are the deal breaker. Looking to trade for a Mitsu Outlander.

Bought with 60k on it
By aaronyrf on 09/26/11 15:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Well Ive had my Riot for about a half of a year now and no problems to report. Previous owner did regular maintenance on it and Im sure that helped extend the life of the factory parts. Just did a CVT tranny fluid change as indicated by the manual. I was nervous that I would have to take it to the Jeep dealer and sell my soul to pay for the fluid but instead I just asked my neighborhood oil change center and they had all the necessary tools and fluid and it only cost me a hundred dollars. (Just out of curiosity I checked the Jeep dealer in my town and they quoted me 755 dollars!!!!!!! for the 60k servicing.) My advice is ask around. It cant hurt.

Cheap Jeep! Beware of Money Pit.
By newellio on 08/23/11 05:59 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased vehicle with only 13,000 miles. Within first year needed new brakes, then when around 57,000 miles the rattling and clunking noises began. We discovered both tie rods and ball joints were bad. Estimated repairs were over $1000. Then a ringing noise in the transmission began to get louder. So we decided to trade in. Dealers were not willing to give us a decent trade because the CVT transmission was starting to go bad. Apparently this is a major issue in the Jeeps especially when it reaches around 60,000 miles. Jeep is not willing to warranty this issue. Our mechanic said newer jeeps are the most serviced vehicle he works on and encouraged us to trade it!

Update- 122k, still no non wear repairs
By jeepking on 08/07/11 05:39 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I wrote a review about my Patriot at 60k, only repair then was a light bulb. Since then I have 122k and have only had to replace wear items. Just did a new clutch at 122k, did rear brakes at 110k and front at 120k. My hope is the next clutch goes longer, I live in Minnesota and when I replaced the stock Goodyears with Michelins my snow performance went to ****, I have two wheel drive and did put some snow tires on (Kumhos), and that has worked out well. Point is I think I did a lot of damage to my clutch trying to get out of stuff without snow tires.

UNBELIEVABLE VALUE
By janetjrm on 07/03/11 14:17 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car off the lot with 31 miles on it. Just got rid of it with 137000. Only repair was new tires. I drove this car into the ground. Terrific for small SUV. 4WD is awesome made it up my huge hill of a driveway every time. Never had a repair bill. put on more than 30000 a year and it never failed me. My favorite car!!! Only let it go as I needed larger SUV for my german shepherd. It is small, but 4 cyl gas mileage 18 in town and 25+ on Hwy. Highly recommend this vehicle, very fun to drive, easy to park. I miss it already!

143,143 miles to date
By west_lawn_mark on 06/20/11 10:32 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased our Patriot new in 2008 and I have put on quite a few miles in that time. I enjoy the car. It is fun to drive, and good in snow. I have heard people complain about FWD Compasses in the snow but I have no similar complaints. I do not worry about driving in the snow at all (except for other drivers). With the electronic traction control I rarely need 4 x 4. I have even taken the Patriot off road on the beach in Corolla, NC and it performed pretty well. I that situation it benefited from being light and not getting bogged down in the sand. The adjustable seat works from my 5' 2" wife and my 6' 4" son in law.

40K miles and looking to sell
By justin53 on 06/13/11 06:10 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have written 2 previous revies on the patriot, both positive. The last report was around 20k miles. At 38K miles I had to replace the font end lower control arms (ball joints) and the mechanic told me this was not uncommon for this model lately. The repair plus the tires I burned through before I realizes the problem cost $1400! Now I am at 40K and believe by starter is burnt out. When used car shopping I usually consider 40K the break in period. I bought the Patriot new and now think 40K is the life span.

Transmission / Leaks / 60K Buying a Patriot Read this...
By lipjunkiee on 01/14/11 18:19 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x4. I bought it two years ago with only 5K miles. One month after I bought the car the back light dome and flash light filled up with water. They stripped my interior out and gave me new interior and had to weld the problem. Two months ago 200 miles after my warranty expired the leak came back - but worse! I took it in for a diagnostic. They told me a stick had plugged my drainage tube for my sunroof. WOW! I never use my sunroof. THEN after I get my transmission serviced - fluid changed etc 500.00 dollars later... and two months later my TRANSMISSION goes out.... It's going to cost me $ 5,150.00 dollars to replace it. CVT TRANSMISSIONS ARE NOT RELIABLE!

2008 Jeep Patriot 4WD 2.4 Engine CVT
By gbrehmer on 01/04/11 19:27 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Pat 2 1/2 years and have been very satisfied. I have since reached 40K miles with out any issues worth mentioning (with exception of sqeaky brakes for the first couple of brake applications, and this should be considered a minor issue). True Cost of Ownership for buying anything is very important to me and anyone on a tight budget would probably feel likewise. For all those on board since 2008 Edmunds has listed this vehicle for the least expensive SUV to own when considering Depreciation, Taxes & Fees, Financing, Fuel costs, Insurance, and associated Maintenance expenses. For those in question please go to http://www.edmunds.com/tco.html and see for you self. Please note thos

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.