Used 2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Patriot - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

Most Helpful|
a predicatable 4 Cylinder Jeep
By Matt K

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Overall a very nice car. I enjoy driving it around places and it is very rugged. Gone over some medians in some midnight runs and it handles them like a jeep should. (haha) Gas mileage is around 19MPG for me in the city with the AC always on frozen. I really hate the small 13.5 gallon tank for gas, the Honda CRV's tank is 2 gallons bigger! The CVT makes some noise during hard acceleration but overall fairly quiet. The car pulls pretty well around 4K RPMs (torque curve). I don't drive like a grandma which could also point to the less than standard gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, Ipod jack, 17" wheels, boxy design and small size.

Suggested Improvements

well they fixed the interior on the 09's. I didn't like all of the plastic that scratches really easy. Maybe an SRT4 version, (the caliber is on the same platform) obviously the CVT would explode so maybe a 5 speed auto option for the SRT4. Some people like power and convenience put together.

Patriot
By Dan

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Have had nothing but problems. Will never buy another Jeep or Chrysler product. Trans went out at 60k. Ball joints and control arms are shot at 65k. ESP module went out along with the cruise at 50k. Back window leaks slightly. Don't know what is next?

Favorite Features

Not much at this point.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are horrible. Can't go more than a 100 miles. Gas tank too small. More power and Better quality!

afraid to drive because its always cost me money in breakdowns
By gary86

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

my 2008 jeep patriot I thought was going to be a great car at a great price but oh boy was I WRONG.we only drive it when going to dinner or someplace nice. the car only has 15000 miles on it and we have had the tie rods replaced the transmissionm replaced and now the ball joint assembly replaced. it also leaked until they figured out how to fix it. trying to get them to fix it now is a problem it only had a 3 year 36000 mile warranty whichever came first. if we would had driven it more during the first 3 years these problems would had been discovered but we were trying to keep the vechile like new what a mistake. I"m also a toledo jeep retiree but that makes 0 difference to them.

Favorite Features

nothing this car is a 2 wheel drive 6 speed automatic limited but that choice was not listed on the form

Suggested Improvements

take care of their customers. I won"t buy another jeep because of this I"ll probably not ever buy another chrysler product even though I get the employee discount. WHY, it"s costing me moer money now

Stay away from the cheap jeep
By alanhatesjeep

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The most expensive car to maintain I have ever owned in 34 years. Like everyone, I have replaced tie rods, and ball joints continuously since I bought this jeep new in 2008. I also replaced the engine in 2012, due to a broken connecting rod, at 118,000 kilometers. Chrysler refused to warrant, as it was past 100,000 km. Thought I would just run it into the ground after I paid over $6,000 to have a used engine installed. Guess what? At a 130,000, a pin in the driver door snapped off and now the door will not close. Probably not a big repair, but enough is a enough. It is no longer insured.

Favorite Features

It did handle well in the snow, when it was running

Suggested Improvements

Ask Chrysler to repay their bailouts immediately, so they can no longer build the lowest quality vehicles in the world

New 2014 Patriot and problems already
By frankie57

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My husband went golfing today in his NEW Jeep Patriot and when he started to come back home (less than 200 miles total on the car) the Jeep would not shift into first or second gears! Already we have had it into the dealership for repairs! Not at all what we expected when we bought a NEW vehicle from Jeep! It appears that the clutch cable 'came loose' and had to be reattached! HOW can that happen??? I hope this is NOT a pattern or we will be extremely unhappy - and since we are Jeep lovers, this would NOT be good! My son has 2 Grand Cherokees - VERY happy with them, and we also have a Jeep Liberty - which I drive and dearly love! PLEASE JEEP - keep our faith in your company! FIX IT!

Favorite Features

It is a JEEP!

Suggested Improvements

What ever problems you have had with the Patriot should be FIXED without COST to the consumer!