Used 2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

Headache!
By april

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This Jeep has been a headache since I got it. My Jeep Patriot came to me from the factory with a faulty crank and sensor, so, every morning I get to hold my breath as I listen to the thing crank for 10-15 seconds before finally turning over. I think to myself, is this the day it is not going to start, every morning! It will be going to see a certified Chrysler dealer for the third time to fix this issue! wish me luck! On top of that, there is something wrong with the gas gauge and i ran out of gas on the highway because I got about 5 miles after the fuel light went on. One headache after the next with this Jeep Patriot and I had such high hopes. buyers beware!

space

It works
By Justin

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because most of my driving is the Urban Jungle, but my weekends often involve kayaks on the roof. This is a great for driving around town scoring around 25 mpg. Load her down for a trip and highway miles drop to about 19mpg (maintaining speed even on hills) Say about 22 mpg if you don't mind dropping about 10 mph climbing hills or not using cruise control. The gearing of the CVT pushes my last nerve anytime I leave the city. If you have a lead foot or drive aggressively, this isn't the car for you. Off the pavement (long shot from "off-road") this little guy handles well, minus the rattling in the steering column. Would be the perfect vehicle for me with a V6 and no CVT.

Moon roof, fold flat seats, plastic cargo floor (nice for wet gear and deer carcasses), seat fabric.

Option for non-upholstered floors, V6, lower highway RPM, thicker sound barrier between engine and passenger compartment.

Just Right
By speaktrue

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After 33,000 miles, I traded in my '07 Caliber for this '08 Patriot, so I was used to the interior layout (though the Jeep is a little roomier) and the CVT. I agree that you sacrifice some "get up and go" for the gas mileage, but in these days of $4.00 a gallon gas, I think the trade off is well worth it. Prior to the Caliber, I had an '05 Equinox. The Equinox was a little too large for my needs, and the Caliber was a little too small, but the Patriot is just right! I feel like the Patriot fills a niche that no other compact SUV does - it's an SUV, just smaller; not a "cute 'ute" like everything else in its class.

Textured leather; drop-down tailgate speakers (AWESOME for football season); audio controls mounted out of sight on the BACK of the steering wheel; CD changer; satellite radio; sunroof

This whole group of cars (Caliber, Compass, Patriot) has BY FAR the least useful map pockets on the doors of any car I have EVER been in. Especially the ones in the back doors of the Patriot - what exactly are they designed to hold?

first new car great choice
By mike l

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I live in the suburbs but I routinely go hiking, so a suv was a must. This is my first new car to buy so I wanted something inexpensive but capable. First off for a v-4 its more powerful than any v-6 Ive owned, the pick up is surprisingly good. The handling is also superb, especially for a suv. The tank is small but the mpg is as good as some cars, let alone a suv. I am very pleased with all performance aspects of this Jeep. Yes the interior is sparse and the electronics not good at all. But that's not why I got a Jeep. I got it for its performance on and off road. Compared to other suvs which are mainly for suburbs, the patriot blows them away (comparing to my sisters escape on a dirt road)

performance, surprisingly powerful, handling and mpg

interior and electronic systems

Affordable, Reliable, Efficient
By Pete

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the Patriot for a few months and absolutely love it. I bartered down big time, so they gave me a very BASIC package but I'm not looking for luxury. I drive 80 miles round trip to work, daily, and couldn't be happier. My AVERAGE mileage has been 30+ MPG. Throw in the lifetime FULL warranty, I'm comforted by the fact if anything busts, it's covered (well worth the exta few bucks a month). Rides great, TONS of room (I'm 6'1 and don't even have the seat all the way back easily can handle someone even taller). Plan on easily adding on features later DIY transmission cooler and hitch, can tow 2000 lbs.

4WD, can handle rough WI winters. Roomy, efficient, Manual Transmission, ability to upgrade later. Very zippy, great handling, fun to drive. Rugged styling.

I didn't realize they made vehicles without powerlocks and Windows nowadays. But hey I'll take it, less to break. Tailgate window should open separate from tailgate. Put spare under the vehicle. Ditch the tire pressure sensors. I don't even have it on my patriot, but console goes off anyway.