2008 Jeep Patriot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:
I am done with Jeep
By suzib1 on 03/06/13 11:30 AM (PST)

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have replaced too many things on this vehicle to keep track. Ball joints (and I think they are bad again), transmission, tie rods, calipers, and assortment of belts, etc. I was hoping to have this vehicle for many years but it is becoming such an expense to upkeep that I may end up trading it in and dealing with a car payment again. I was looking for better gas mileage with 4-wheel drive than my Jeep Liberty, but the Patriot feels very cheap and apparently is made to break bit by bit. Even the dealership is stumped by the myriad of warning lights that turn on and won't turn off or simply stop working all together. Piece of garbage and don't waste your money and patience.

Poor Quality, Worse Company
By amricnsoldr on 12/21/12 09:51 AM (PST)

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the 2008 Patriot Sport 4x4 2.4L CVT automatic brand new. About a month into owning it we noticed water coming in and collecting in the front courtesy light lens after it had rained the night before. We realized this when we hit the brakes to stop and water poured out onto dash and soaked us both. Took it to the dealer and of course the dealer could not duplicate the problem. This was the first of 4 trips to the dealer for this problem. The 2nd time they said it was the sunroof leaking so they replaced it. The 3rd time it had to go back they FINALLY dropped the headliner and let a hose run on it all day to find the leak. still leaks to this day and now its out of warranty..

Issues
By danbreslin on 11/13/12 09:44 AM (PST)

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Just found out, like others, my ball joints are totally shot at 40k miles, way before they should have failed. Have had other common problems on this Patriot as well such as leaking ventalation system causing interior corrosion and musty smell.

Nothing like the Wrangler
By jagnag on 10/08/12 18:39 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the Patriot because we loved the Wrangler, but have had many problems: Overheats at 65 MPH so we don't take it on many family trips which is why we bought it in the first place. We have taken it to dealers and they can't figure out why...........Currently A/C isn't working well and the back passenger window will not close. Issues with Ball Bearings and just the ways it slurps gas gives this a failing grade.

afraid to drive because its always cost me money in breakdowns
By gary86 on 09/13/12 07:52 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

my 2008 jeep patriot I thought was going to be a great car at a great price but oh boy was I WRONG.we only drive it when going to dinner or someplace nice. the car only has 15000 miles on it and we have had the tie rods replaced the transmissionm replaced and now the ball joint assembly replaced. it also leaked until they figured out how to fix it. trying to get them to fix it now is a problem it only had a 3 year 36000 mile warranty whichever came first. if we would had driven it more during the first 3 years these problems would had been discovered but we were trying to keep the vechile like new what a mistake. I"m also a toledo jeep retiree but that makes 0 difference to them.

2008 Jeep Patriot - Fail!
By disappointed71 on 08/04/12 06:37 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2008. Within the first year, dome light would fill with water during a hard rain and would dump all over dash and me! Three years in, the lower ball joints/control arm had to be replaced with under 60,000 mi. Brakes and tires also had to be replace around the same time due to extra strain from the bad control arm. One year later, the ball joints are going bad again! Transmission is also acting up - anytime I travel on the highway for 2 hours or so, the transmission temperature light goes on and the car compensates by slowing me down to 45 mph, forcing me to pull over. Dealership says nothing is wrong with the tranny. I beg to differ!! Hate this car and will trade ASAP!!!

This is NOT a Jeep
By cayoung85 on 06/22/12 21:30 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this CAR a year ago. I have put 12k miles on it taking it to 54k. Hesitates on take-off. Most of the time I don't feel comfortable pulling in to traffic. Recently I started getting the creaking sound from the front end. Ended up having to replace both ball joints and control arms (since they are not sold separately) and a tie rod. $780. Looking for something else. Went from a Mustang Convertible to this. Just goes to show, don't marry the rebound girl. If you're looking for a Jeep, this is not it. This is a crappy old Dodge in knockoff Jeep clothing. So disappointed.

Stay Away from the 2008 Jeep Patriot
By autumnrose on 05/11/12 08:51 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have replaced everything in the front end of this vehicle. I have owned it 6 months and in that 6 months, stab links, barrings, ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, struts (twice), the spark plugs and it needs coils but there 40$ a piece have not got there yet. Now after the front end problems it still creaks and squeaks it makes crazy sounds. it likes to hesitate when you push the gas. It just wont go and it stutters like it wants to stall but it does not YET. i dont get it and no garages do either. One said it was a misfire in the piston. GREAT! i would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. it makes so many sounds and even after it is all "fixed" it still remains making unknown sounds

2008 Patriot Automatic
By highlander25 on 05/07/12 14:32 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought new in 2008, 25 miles on it. Since then, 77K miles and I have gone had 2 transmission replacements and it sounds like a third is coming soon. I can't get the car to stop whining. The car overheats 30 minutes into a family trip, have to stop to cool down before going on. Any slight incline and the tranny overheats. This is a problem since we like in Colorado now. Dealerships here had the car once for a month fighting with Corporate over who will pay to replace the tranny. Will never own a jeep again. My eight year old makes fun of jeeps we see parked.

Love this car, just not the cheap interior
By wbouma on 03/12/12 09:46 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Patriot is actually a FWD automatic, there just wasn't an option for it. I bought this car with 100,000 km on it and have had no problems in the two years since, and am now at 154,000 km two years later. Gas mileage is alright, if I drive 110 everywhere I get 500 km on a tank (when the gas light comes on). It's awesome for trips as it can hold four people and all their luggage easily, but the seats are a little hard. Despite all this, its been a good vehicle and I plan on keeping it till it dies.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.