Used 2008 Jeep Patriot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Patriot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

08 Patriot FWD AUTO-CVT
By gwapo-gorilla

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my patriot used. I wanted a fwd thinking it would get better gas mileage and I needed an automatic for the wife. I am getting about 23 mpg..and the cvt feels weird. When I let off the gas, the trans mission slips into a lower gear slowing the car down. I suppose it helps save on brake pads, but I really don't care for the feel of it. Other than that, it's great car. Plenty of pep for a 4 cyl. but I really wish the wife could drive a stick!

Favorite Features

Hugs the road good. Does not drive like a van.

Suggested Improvements

CVT needs improvements, seat belt are in a bad location...hard to buckle.

jeepers creepers!!!!
By fmjumps

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

From most of the previous reviews owners either rave or rant about their patriot.I have found the vehicle to be trouble free in the 11 months/ 17K of driving i have owned it. The gas mileage is as advertised in 50/50 driving. at 6'3" there is plenty of room in the vehicle. It handles great, has plenty of power for merging without redlining it, the only caveat to this is when it was fully loaded. I have only needed the 4x4 a few times in a record snow fall season in upstate ny. The vehicle is very surefooted and stable in all kinds of weather. the only fit/finish issue i have had is the fan/air direction knobs do not line up with the symbols on dash, small annoyence. Would purchase again

Favorite Features

gas mileage. stereo is very good. plenty of nooks for small items.

Suggested Improvements

Arm rest and doors are rock hard, some padding for elbows would add alot towards comfort. seats may be somewhat short for tall drivers on long rides. the tailgate does not rise high enough to walk under w/o hitting head. door locks should ALL unlock when hitting unlock button ONCE!

Mostly Satisfied
By Jeep Gurl

2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my Jeep.Living in NE CT is great with this 4x4. I won't live without AWD again. Had issues, but that was with the dealership. Smile every time I see my vehicle. Its a little loud on the highway and not the smoothest ride, but its a JEEP, made for off roading, not luxury

Favorite Features

6 cd changer, heated seats, color (surf blue pearl), two toned interior, glad the tire isn't mounted on the rear

Suggested Improvements

Offer a v6, this jeep is pretty slow getting up to speed, and then really loud going at 75mph, more room for storage on doors, more options to choose from

Finally a fuel miser Jeep
By jepstr67

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have logged 21000 miles on this Jeep since March of 2008. Not a single problem. Power and performance are more than adequate for my driving style. My mileage is well within the stated numbers. Often a little better, 30 MPG highway is common for me. The cargo space is good. Lots of room for lumber, dogs, furniture and garage sale finds. This is NOT a Jeep designed for difficult trails and extended off road use. It is excellent for northern climates where snow and ice are common. The car is quiet and comfortable. It is possible to keep the cabin comfortable in temperatures from -20 to 100 degrees. There is some road noise but not excessive. Lets be reasonable, look at the price.

Favorite Features

5 speed manual transmission. 4 wheel drive. Good handling on snowy roads. I like the available vinyl seats, manual locks and windows. The D-package offers real traditional spartan no frills Jeep styling.

Suggested Improvements

It would be really helpful if the tailgate window would open by itself. Fold flat passenger seat on all models. 12 volt outlets in the cargo area, rear of console and in the shelf in front of the passenger would be nice. Computer should allow more tire size options to be programmed.

Great for the price....BUT
By Murph

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Look for the price that you pay, this vehicle is great but there are some drawbacks that you should know about. The first is that the CVT has a serious lag when accelerating from being stopped. The car has great pep when punching it in the 50-70 mph range. I actually like the interior design but I upgraded the seat material etc. The tailgate is low and I crack my head on it like others. The mileage I get is about 24mpg. Even on a full highway trip, I get this b/c the RPS get a little high. Four wheel drive handles great in the snow. All in all a good little car. It isn't great but I would say you get more than what you pay for. The CVT is clearly the thing that needs to be improved.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive, affordability, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Needs higher clearance, CVT improvements