Used 2008 Jeep Patriot Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

130k and going strong!
By Brian C

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Reading some other reviews on here I felt inclined to share my story. I bought my 08 Patriot Limited through a friend who worked at Chrysler. It was an employee lessee vehicle and had just under 20k miles on it. It was my first vehicle and I wanted something 4WD as I lived in MI at the time and wanted something that could handle the snow. I feel this SUV delivers on points that a small SUV should, it handles well and gets good gas mileage(I average 22 on any day). It is not the prettiest Jeep ever made when it comes to in interior, its cheap plastic dash and instrument panels leave something to be desired, but as for the drive train it has not disappointed. Other than keeping up with the Breaks and Oil changes not much has been needed as far as maintenance on my Jeep. I did front breaks at 60k and then did all 4 breaks and rotors at 105k. At around 90k I heard some clunking in the front end and my neighbor was a mechanic at a dealer who said that the Lower control Arm/Ball Joints tend to wear in the Patriot and I should have it looked at. I did, and he was correct, they were wearing and needed to be replaced, my mechanic (not a dealer) quoted me ~$750 to do it, I decided to give it a shot myself and finished both sides in a few hours after getting the parts at Advanced. Other than the listed items above my Jeep Patriot has been everything I wanted from a first Jeep. The old adage is true, you get what you pay for, this is a lower cost Jeep when it comes to the Jeep family so they kept costs low on some luxury feature, but kept the money in the critical components. It handles GREAT in the snow and I recently moved from Michigan to Texas and had to pull 5x8 trailer for the first time, and other than killing the gas mileage it got the job done without any issues (and she was at 120K at the time). I would buy this car again if I needed another good running, affordable, 4wd, small SUV for my daily life. My next one will most likely be a Grand Cherokee (unless Ford brings back the Bronco...)

huge mistake!
By bridges114

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2008 jeep patriot in 2012 and ever since I have had issues. I've had to replace the battery, alternator, plugs(which isn't a huge deal i understand that happens) but now my transmission has went out!!! Its completely ridiculous. I don't have 2000 plus labor to fix it so I am now screwed. I have no idea how I'm gonna get my kids to school, Dr appointments or me to work. I will never but anything made by Chrysler again nor do I reccomend it.

New 2014 Patriot and problems already
By frankie57

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My husband went golfing today in his NEW Jeep Patriot and when he started to come back home (less than 200 miles total on the car) the Jeep would not shift into first or second gears! Already we have had it into the dealership for repairs! Not at all what we expected when we bought a NEW vehicle from Jeep! It appears that the clutch cable 'came loose' and had to be reattached! HOW can that happen??? I hope this is NOT a pattern or we will be extremely unhappy - and since we are Jeep lovers, this would NOT be good! My son has 2 Grand Cherokees - VERY happy with them, and we also have a Jeep Liberty - which I drive and dearly love! PLEASE JEEP - keep our faith in your company! FIX IT!

It is a JEEP!

What ever problems you have had with the Patriot should be FIXED without COST to the consumer!

Highly Defective Substandard Suv
By truth1hurts

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the 2008 Patriot new for $25k and within a few months endured unjustifiable anxiety for unrelenting warranty repairs on an inferior made cheap product. First and last time Jeep buyers, the 5-speed manual transmission went through 4+ major warranty repairs: clutch, transmission, defects, gear box, ball bearings, etc. It had to be towed a few times to the car lot. We lost value and money in a headache suv that was highly defective and unreliable and dismissed trips too. Very poor car, dealership, head office and managers. Stacks of warranty repair files amplifies our deserved poor rating of the car and all involved.

The only positive things was the government rebate. Otherwise, it fell short of meeting our needs and expections with poor value. If you examine ratings of former owners and experts you'll see many unhappy folks. The negatives far exceed the positives. This driver would not recommend the 2008 Patriot. The manager wrote a letter on our behalf; years later and too late, and HQ rubber stamped everything the franchise did as following warranty protocols. They tried to get more money from us to buy another off their lot. I wouldn't buy from them if you paid me! The best day was when we traded it off and now are trouble-free for 2.5 years with a superior Suv in our view, a Ford Escape...

This car was cheaply made and the company spent about $13,000.00 on labour, parts and warranty repairs for years; a band-aid on a deep wound - we both lost money but us more! The transmission needs overhauling because it was shameful and indefensible. The back rear window is a poor for tall drivers who have to slouch to see behind them and the engine's power is sluggish on hills and good logging roads. Overall poor quality and deserved low ratings. The vehicle should be higher like a Ford Escape and better power, quality of tires and visibility. Maybe Jeep owners with automatics were lucky but others echoed the same stress. The whole design needs to be revamped and better training for all.

Loving it still.... 5 years in
By dbt1979

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2008 Jeep Patriot in August 2008. It was a daily rental return that just under 20,000 km on it. Almost 5 years later and I've had next to no problems with this vehicle besides wear parts. I got the extended warranty to 5 years / 100,000 km and the only warranty work that I needed was the fuel evap cannister that was hanging off (I probably ran over something) and there was minor work needed to be back end (sway bars and such) that was causing crunching noises when I went over bumps. Less than $600 warranty work in 5 years. I replaced the front brakes at 60 K and the back brakes (drums and all) at 95 K. 4 new tires at 60 K and I'll 4 new ones at 110K

The inside isn't the best but I'm not somebody who looks for a lot of options on a car. I got the North Edition so nothing fancy, but it suits my needs. Favourite option is the fold down front seat because I can get full 8 foot 2 X4 in the Riot and get the trunk closed.

• SUV