Used 2008 Jeep Patriot Sport SUV Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

WORST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED!!
By caitlin

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Do not ever get a jeep patriot, especially a 2008. I have had nothing but problems with this car since day 1. The dealership isnt helping me at all. I would rather walk miles everyday than have to drive this piece of junk one more day.

WORST DECISION EVER!
By Claudia Pina

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Do not buy a jeep patriot have had so many problems with my patriot its crazy, and worst part ever is that jeep wont do anything to fix your issues, take your money elsewhere, not worth a penny I bought my jeep in 2007, and bought me a 2008 jeep patriot with 2 miles on it well 2 years later every time it rained it was as if I had my sunroof open water leaked from all over the place it is insane, and of course jeep didn't find anything wrong with it, please take your hard earned money and buy you a vehicle that's worth buying not Chrysler / Jeep products!

130k and going strong!
By Brian C

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Reading some other reviews on here I felt inclined to share my story.

I bought my 08 Patriot Limited through a friend who worked at Chrysler. It was an employee lessee vehicle and had just under 20k miles on it. It was my first vehicle and I wanted something 4WD as I lived in MI at the time and wanted something that could handle the snow. I feel this SUV delivers on points that a small SUV should, it handles well and gets good gas mileage(I average 22 on any day). It is not the prettiest Jeep ever made when it comes to in interior, its cheap plastic dash and instrument panels leave something to be desired, but as for the drive train it has not disappointed.

Other than keeping up with the Breaks and Oil changes not much has been needed as far as maintenance on my Jeep. I did front breaks at 60k and then did all 4 breaks and rotors at 105k. At around 90k I heard some clunking in the front end and my neighbor was a mechanic at a dealer who said that the Lower control Arm/Ball Joints tend to wear in the Patriot and I should have it looked at. I did, and he was correct, they were wearing and needed to be replaced, my mechanic (not a dealer) quoted me ~$750 to do it, I decided to give it a shot myself and finished both sides in a few hours after getting the parts at Advanced.

Other than the listed items above my Jeep Patriot has been everything I wanted from a first Jeep. The old adage is true, you get what you pay for, this is a lower cost Jeep when it comes to the Jeep family so they kept costs low on some luxury feature, but kept the money in the critical components. It handles GREAT in the snow and I recently moved from Michigan to Texas and had to pull 5x8 trailer for the first time, and other than killing the gas mileage it got the job done without any issues (and she was at 120K at the time).

I would buy this car again if I needed another good running, affordable, 4wd, small SUV for my daily life. My next one will most likely be a Grand Cherokee (unless Ford brings back the Bronco...)

huge mistake!
By bridges114

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2008 jeep patriot in 2012 and ever since I have had issues. I've had to replace the battery, alternator, plugs(which isn't a huge deal i understand that happens) but now my transmission has went out!!! Its completely ridiculous. I don't have 2000 plus labor to fix it so I am now screwed. I have no idea how I'm gonna get my kids to school, Dr appointments or me to work. I will never but anything made by Chrysler again nor do I reccomend it.

New 2014 Patriot and problems already
By frankie57

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My husband went golfing today in his NEW Jeep Patriot and when he started to come back home (less than 200 miles total on the car) the Jeep would not shift into first or second gears!
Already we have had it into the dealership for repairs!
Not at all what we expected when we bought a NEW vehicle from Jeep!
It appears that the clutch cable 'came loose' and had to be reattached!
HOW can that happen???
I hope this is NOT a pattern or we will be extremely unhappy - and since we are Jeep lovers, this would NOT be good!
My son has 2 Grand Cherokees - VERY happy with them, and we also have a Jeep Liberty - which I drive and dearly love!
PLEASE JEEP - keep our faith in your company!
FIX IT!

It is a JEEP!

What ever problems you have had with the Patriot should be FIXED without COST to the consumer!