Used 2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Patriot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

Got Lucky I Guess
By dandt1

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Why won't Edmunds let me select a Patriot Sport 4x4 CVT? After reading all the bad reviews on this car I thought I'd share my experience with our 2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 CVT. My wife purchased this car by herself brand new in December of 2007 and it currently has 93,000 miles. She wanted AWD and decent gas milage and liked that the Jeep Patriot came with a lifetime power-train warrantee. When I met my future wife, the car was a little over a year old so I've had a lot of experience driving it and dealing with the problems.

Favorite Features

Honestly, I had very little expectations for this car. In the past I had bad luck with a 1998 Jeep Cherokee and didn't think the brand or Chrysler were putting out good products at the time. However, we've had very few problems with this car and I have to say that it has been very reliable so far. The exterior styling is probably my favorite feature. It also is comfortable on long trips and has good freeway manners.

Suggested Improvements

Like others have said we had to replace both left and right front lower control arms (ball joints). This was done at the dealer and was $$$$$. (700?) The sunroof leaked a couple times, but I cleaned out the drain tubes and it's been fine since (we live in Seattle). The front right wheel speed sensor failed but was covered under warrantee. (the part is only $25) The ESIM (evaporative system integrity monitor) broke and threw a check engine light code (gas cap) but was an easy fix for me to do. The part was expensive about $$80.00 on ebay. That's it in nearly 100,000 miles. (besides new brakes, battery) So I think it's pretty good.

Maybe I got the only good one?
By minetrainer

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have read a number of negative reviews on this car. I bought mine new, in December of 2008. I have been driving it exclusively since then. I log about 25,000 miles a year. They gave me a first owner only lifetime or 1,000,000 mile warranty and I have often wondered why. This car is like the energizer bunny and I love it!

Favorite Features

It has so much cargo room! And the interior has held up very well. I live in snow country and I love the transmission. Low range 4x4 in snow is the only way to go.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of one.

New 2014 Patriot and problems already
By frankie57

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My husband went golfing today in his NEW Jeep Patriot and when he started to come back home (less than 200 miles total on the car) the Jeep would not shift into first or second gears! Already we have had it into the dealership for repairs! Not at all what we expected when we bought a NEW vehicle from Jeep! It appears that the clutch cable 'came loose' and had to be reattached! HOW can that happen??? I hope this is NOT a pattern or we will be extremely unhappy - and since we are Jeep lovers, this would NOT be good! My son has 2 Grand Cherokees - VERY happy with them, and we also have a Jeep Liberty - which I drive and dearly love! PLEASE JEEP - keep our faith in your company! FIX IT!

Favorite Features

It is a JEEP!

Suggested Improvements

What ever problems you have had with the Patriot should be FIXED without COST to the consumer!

Highly Defective Substandard Suv
By truth1hurts

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the 2008 Patriot new for $25k and within a few months endured unjustifiable anxiety for unrelenting warranty repairs on an inferior made cheap product. First and last time Jeep buyers, the 5-speed manual transmission went through 4+ major warranty repairs: clutch, transmission, defects, gear box, ball bearings, etc. It had to be towed a few times to the car lot. We lost value and money in a headache suv that was highly defective and unreliable and dismissed trips too. Very poor car, dealership, head office and managers. Stacks of warranty repair files amplifies our deserved poor rating of the car and all involved.

Favorite Features

The only positive things was the government rebate. Otherwise, it fell short of meeting our needs and expections with poor value. If you examine ratings of former owners and experts you'll see many unhappy folks. The negatives far exceed the positives. This driver would not recommend the 2008 Patriot. The manager wrote a letter on our behalf; years later and too late, and HQ rubber stamped everything the franchise did as following warranty protocols. They tried to get more money from us to buy another off their lot. I wouldn't buy from them if you paid me! The best day was when we traded it off and now are trouble-free for 2.5 years with a superior Suv in our view, a Ford Escape...

Suggested Improvements

This car was cheaply made and the company spent about $13,000.00 on labour, parts and warranty repairs for years; a band-aid on a deep wound - we both lost money but us more! The transmission needs overhauling because it was shameful and indefensible. The back rear window is a poor for tall drivers who have to slouch to see behind them and the engine's power is sluggish on hills and good logging roads. Overall poor quality and deserved low ratings. The vehicle should be higher like a Ford Escape and better power, quality of tires and visibility. Maybe Jeep owners with automatics were lucky but others echoed the same stress. The whole design needs to be revamped and better training for all.

Terrible with a dash of confusion
By buckleyjohn

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

First off, I have to agree with everyone here that this is a terrible Jeep. Now, I bought my 2008 Patriot 4x4 Sport with the automatic CVT and 2.4L in New Mexico used in 2010 with about 40k on it. Two days after I bought it, the transmission overheated. They tried to blame it on the fact that the tires didnt match. The front and rear were different profile sized. So, I called them retarded and made them service the transmission by changing the fluid and filter and give me a set of new tires. About 3 months went by. Same thing transmission overheated at 70mph on the highway in the middle of no where. Had to sit in the hot sun for about 3 hours for it to cool down.

Favorite Features

No favorite features. 117,000 miles, no body damage, no accidents, minor chips in the paint and minor wear and tear on the inside. I keep my vehicles really nice, have owned a few show cars. Trade in value here in the great state of Alaska. $4000 in 2014. So needless to say, I lost a great deal of money and will never buy another Jeep product again. I traded it in for a Toyota 4 Runner and I am over come with joy.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission: huge issue with overheating and if it does, its about $400 just for a fluid and filter change. Power: Absolutely none, I could feel the difference when I put my two kids in the back seat. Alternator: I am on my fourth one in 4 years. They are hard to swap because of the AC system in the way. They sit way low on the engine, get wet and get fried. Fuel efficiency: Terrible! The best I ever got was 23mpg on the highway doing 40 in a construction zone. Every day driver here in Alaska, 17mpg. Full size V8 trucks do better. With all that said, it is still running. If the maintenance is done, it runs. But it has to be precise to the degree of F1 mechanics.