Used 2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Consumer Reviews - 214 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

WORST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED!!
By caitlin

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Do not ever get a jeep patriot, especially a 2008. I have had nothing but problems with this car since day 1. The dealership isnt helping me at all. I would rather walk miles everyday than have to drive this piece of junk one more day.

WORST DECISION EVER!
By Claudia Pina

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Do not buy a jeep patriot have had so many problems with my patriot its crazy, and worst part ever is that jeep wont do anything to fix your issues, take your money elsewhere, not worth a penny I bought my jeep in 2007, and bought me a 2008 jeep patriot with 2 miles on it well 2 years later every time it rained it was as if I had my sunroof open water leaked from all over the place it is insane, and of course jeep didn't find anything wrong with it, please take your hard earned money and buy you a vehicle that's worth buying not Chrysler / Jeep products!

The little Jeep That Could
By RWFORD

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2008 when they offered the lifetime warranty. I also purchased an extended lifetime warranty to cover the non powertrain components. 1st brake job at 95,000 miles. 2nd brake job at 179,000 miles. Runs great nd is a little work horse. 80 foot tree fell on house and this little jeep pulled it off the roof and down the driveway to be cut up. Gas mileage has been as high as 30 mpg in summer months on the highway but always in the 25 mpg combined unless towing. Right now the issue is who's lifetime is going to be the longest the Jeep or mine. The only complaint that I have ever had is the noise during acceleration. As far a being sluggish, I think being able to hit 90 + mph on a freeway entrance is more than acceptable. The real problem is the driver's that think you should enter at 45mph. At this writing I have185,000 + miles and does not use any between oil changes. I have used synthetic since the 1st 1000 miles.

130k and going strong!
By Brian C

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Reading some other reviews on here I felt inclined to share my story.

I bought my 08 Patriot Limited through a friend who worked at Chrysler. It was an employee lessee vehicle and had just under 20k miles on it. It was my first vehicle and I wanted something 4WD as I lived in MI at the time and wanted something that could handle the snow. I feel this SUV delivers on points that a small SUV should, it handles well and gets good gas mileage(I average 22 on any day). It is not the prettiest Jeep ever made when it comes to in interior, its cheap plastic dash and instrument panels leave something to be desired, but as for the drive train it has not disappointed.

Other than keeping up with the Breaks and Oil changes not much has been needed as far as maintenance on my Jeep. I did front breaks at 60k and then did all 4 breaks and rotors at 105k. At around 90k I heard some clunking in the front end and my neighbor was a mechanic at a dealer who said that the Lower control Arm/Ball Joints tend to wear in the Patriot and I should have it looked at. I did, and he was correct, they were wearing and needed to be replaced, my mechanic (not a dealer) quoted me ~$750 to do it, I decided to give it a shot myself and finished both sides in a few hours after getting the parts at Advanced.

Other than the listed items above my Jeep Patriot has been everything I wanted from a first Jeep. The old adage is true, you get what you pay for, this is a lower cost Jeep when it comes to the Jeep family so they kept costs low on some luxury feature, but kept the money in the critical components. It handles GREAT in the snow and I recently moved from Michigan to Texas and had to pull 5x8 trailer for the first time, and other than killing the gas mileage it got the job done without any issues (and she was at 120K at the time).

I would buy this car again if I needed another good running, affordable, 4wd, small SUV for my daily life. My next one will most likely be a Grand Cherokee (unless Ford brings back the Bronco...)

What a nightmare!
By redskins78

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

What a piece of crap.
1. My dome lights leak water when it rains -- dripped and shorted out my stereo.
2. When the AC is on, it leaks into my drivers floorboards.
3. Real Calibers out at 90k miles
4. ALL ball joints needed replaced at 95k
5. Alternator dead at 100k
6. Two engine pullies replaced at 100k (major rattle)
7. Front struts replaced at 100k
8. Rotors at 100k
9. I get about 17 MPG city, and 20 MPG highway

NOW... after putting $3500 into it over the past 9 months, it's riding better than ever... and what happens? My transmission oil overheats and I lose all acceleration while going 80mph on the the highway. I don't know how much that is going to cost, but I'm getting rid of it before I put another DOLLAR into it.

Get on the Jeep Patriot message boards and see how common the dome light and AC leaking are. Same with the ball joints and the transmission oil issue. HUNK OF JUNK. Great exterior and interior... but total crap everywhere else.