2008 Jeep Patriot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:
huge mistake!
By bridges114 on 10/03/14 14:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2008 jeep patriot in 2012 and ever since I have had issues. I've had to replace the battery, alternator, plugs(which isn't a huge deal i understand that happens) but now my transmission has went out!!! Its completely ridiculous. I don't have 2000 plus labor to fix it so I am now screwed. I have no idea how I'm gonna get my kids to school, Dr appointments or me to work. I will never but anything made by Chrysler again nor do I reccomend it.

Got Lucky I Guess
By dandt1 on 08/18/14 18:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Why won't Edmunds let me select a Patriot Sport 4x4 CVT? After reading all the bad reviews on this car I thought I'd share my experience with our 2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 CVT. My wife purchased this car by herself brand new in December of 2007 and it currently has 93,000 miles. She wanted AWD and decent gas milage and liked that the Jeep Patriot came with a lifetime power-train warrantee. When I met my future wife, the car was a little over a year old so I've had a lot of experience driving it and dealing with the problems.

Maybe I got the only good one?
By minetrainer on 08/13/14 12:33 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have read a number of negative reviews on this car. I bought mine new, in December of 2008. I have been driving it exclusively since then. I log about 25,000 miles a year. They gave me a first owner only lifetime or 1,000,000 mile warranty and I have often wondered why. This car is like the energizer bunny and I love it!

New 2014 Patriot and problems already
By frankie57 on 07/02/14 17:07 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My husband went golfing today in his NEW Jeep Patriot and when he started to come back home (less than 200 miles total on the car) the Jeep would not shift into first or second gears! Already we have had it into the dealership for repairs! Not at all what we expected when we bought a NEW vehicle from Jeep! It appears that the clutch cable 'came loose' and had to be reattached! HOW can that happen??? I hope this is NOT a pattern or we will be extremely unhappy - and since we are Jeep lovers, this would NOT be good! My son has 2 Grand Cherokees - VERY happy with them, and we also have a Jeep Liberty - which I drive and dearly love! PLEASE JEEP - keep our faith in your company! FIX IT!

Highly Defective Substandard Suv
By truth1hurts on 03/07/14 09:47 AM (PST)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the 2008 Patriot new for $25k and within a few months endured unjustifiable anxiety for unrelenting warranty repairs on an inferior made cheap product. First and last time Jeep buyers, the 5-speed manual transmission went through 4+ major warranty repairs: clutch, transmission, defects, gear box, ball bearings, etc. It had to be towed a few times to the car lot. We lost value and money in a headache suv that was highly defective and unreliable and dismissed trips too. Very poor car, dealership, head office and managers. Stacks of warranty repair files amplifies our deserved poor rating of the car and all involved.

Terrible with a dash of confusion
By buckleyjohn on 02/19/14 13:31 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

First off, I have to agree with everyone here that this is a terrible Jeep. Now, I bought my 2008 Patriot 4x4 Sport with the automatic CVT and 2.4L in New Mexico used in 2010 with about 40k on it. Two days after I bought it, the transmission overheated. They tried to blame it on the fact that the tires didnt match. The front and rear were different profile sized. So, I called them retarded and made them service the transmission by changing the fluid and filter and give me a set of new tires. About 3 months went by. Same thing transmission overheated at 70mph on the highway in the middle of no where. Had to sit in the hot sun for about 3 hours for it to cool down.

do not buy
By jt9813 on 01/05/14 08:36 AM (PST)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2008 Jeep Patriot with 58,000 miles. I have to replace the transmission and ball joints for total cost of $4700. The 2000 Jeep Patriot has a 5 year or 100,000 mile warranty but it is not transferable to this 2nd owner. I have talked to Jeep but with no success. If you check out the internet you will see that is a typical problem with the Jeep Patriot and Compass. Save yourself a lot of money and aggravation do not buy this vehicle.

Stay away from the cheap jeep
By alanhatesjeep on 01/02/14 17:11 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The most expensive car to maintain I have ever owned in 34 years. Like everyone, I have replaced tie rods, and ball joints continuously since I bought this jeep new in 2008. I also replaced the engine in 2012, due to a broken connecting rod, at 118,000 kilometers. Chrysler refused to warrant, as it was past 100,000 km. Thought I would just run it into the ground after I paid over $6,000 to have a used engine installed. Guess what? At a 130,000, a pin in the driver door snapped off and now the door will not close. Probably not a big repair, but enough is a enough. It is no longer insured.

JUNK CAR JUNK COMPANY
By kh0864 on 07/05/13 09:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I would like to add to my previous review... We went to the dealership and got our transmission looked at, and they confirmed at 100,000Km on a FIVE yr old car the transmission needs to be replaced... The best part.. the factory warranty is expired by TWO MONTHS and Jeep/Chrysler head office will NOT warranty it.. 2 [non-permissible content removed] MONTHS!!!!! Oh and the BEST part... They tell us it will be $5300.00 to replace...What a joke!!!! First and LAST time we ever buy an American car. Very disappointed, I really loved the looks of this car, too bad they can't get the CVT right.

CVT TRANSMISSION
By kh0864 on 07/04/13 15:39 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I just bought a 2008 Patriot, fell in love with it right away!! Loved the rugged looking exterior of an SUV/Truck with the gas mileage of a car! Unfortunately the love was short lived. ONE day after buying this Jeep it started to make a whinning noise which was coming from the front end.. We had a bad feeling it was the CVT transmission so we took it into the Chrysler/Jeep dealership and our suspisions were right.. It needs a new CVT Transmission!! a 5 year old car with 100,000KM on it should NOT need a new transmission!!! So to anyone looking to get a Patriot don't fall in love with the Exterior/Interior when what's under the hood doesnt stand up to par!!!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.