Used 2008 Jeep Patriot Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Patriot - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Patriot

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

Nothing like the Wrangler
By jagnag

2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the Patriot because we loved the Wrangler, but have had many problems: Overheats at 65 MPH so we don't take it on many family trips which is why we bought it in the first place. We have taken it to dealers and they can't figure out why...........Currently A/C isn't working well and the back passenger window will not close. Issues with Ball Bearings and just the ways it slurps gas gives this a failing grade.

afraid to drive because its always cost me money in breakdowns
By gary86

2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

my 2008 jeep patriot I thought was going to be a great car at a great price but oh boy was I WRONG.we only drive it when going to dinner or someplace nice. the car only has 15000 miles on it and we have had the tie rods replaced the transmissionm replaced and now the ball joint assembly replaced. it also leaked until they figured out how to fix it. trying to get them to fix it now is a problem it only had a 3 year 36000 mile warranty whichever came first. if we would had driven it more during the first 3 years these problems would had been discovered but we were trying to keep the vechile like new what a mistake. I"m also a toledo jeep retiree but that makes 0 difference to them.

Favorite Features

nothing this car is a 2 wheel drive 6 speed automatic limited but that choice was not listed on the form

Suggested Improvements

take care of their customers. I won"t buy another jeep because of this I"ll probably not ever buy another chrysler product even though I get the employee discount. WHY, it"s costing me moer money now

Bought with 60k on it
By aaronyrf

2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Well Ive had my Riot for about a half of a year now and no problems to report. Previous owner did regular maintenance on it and Im sure that helped extend the life of the factory parts. Just did a CVT tranny fluid change as indicated by the manual. I was nervous that I would have to take it to the Jeep dealer and sell my soul to pay for the fluid but instead I just asked my neighborhood oil change center and they had all the necessary tools and fluid and it only cost me a hundred dollars. (Just out of curiosity I checked the Jeep dealer in my town and they quoted me 755 dollars!!!!!!! for the 60k servicing.) My advice is ask around. It cant hurt.

Favorite Features

Love the Jeep so far. Its not a race car by any means but Ive never had problems merging or passing or going up hills. CVT performs satisfactory for my needs. Love the great gas mileage! Storage is above average.

Suggested Improvements

The exhaust configuration in the rear of the vehicle gives it a squat appearance. Merely an aesthetic complaint as it doesn't seem to affect the ground clearance.

I love my jeep, for the most part....
By aurora182011

2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my jeep and I plan on keeping I will say it runs great and its comfortable, and good on gas but this water leak thing has got to be fixed i was on my way to work today and water started pouring out of my map light and all over my stereo and into my shifter housing......not happy, dealer ship said its not their problem..... not happy, auto body shop said they had no clue but pressure tested it for 50 dollars and found out nothing.....not happy. I still dont know how to fix it without spending all my money....not happy

Favorite Features

looks, way it handles(even in snow) its peppy and the seats are heated and comfy its over all a great vehicle

Suggested Improvements

Fix the water leaks, and make it easier to get them fixed, 5 trips to the repair shop before anyone gets it fixed is kinda ridiculous, to be honest im very disappointed in jeep due to the vast number of people with this problem

Overall very good, despite some problems
By DR Wilson

2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We are very happy with our Patriot, overall. Have had a few problems, such as manual trans synchros (recall) as it was grinding while shifting gears. This was done before the first oil change- 2000 Miles! Otherwise, a great vehicle; great fuel economy, comfortable, peppy for a 2.4l. Also had check engine light on, dealer replaced the O2 sensor and has a rad leak when very cold; will take it in for a new rad next week. The windows are narrow, leaving for blind spots. Overall good quality for the price; small problems easily fixed under warranty. For the record, I am a Journeyman mechanic of 20+ years & a former automotive instructor at a technical school so my technical knowledge is strong.

Favorite Features

Excellent fuel economy, in the range of 40 MPG HWY. Comfortable ride considering the suspension system (4X4). Fairly roomy, decent acceleration (manual trans), great stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Some quality issues(listed above) although the dealer has been very good in fixing them. Blind spots are a problem due to the narrow windows. Has no power door lock control on the passenger side. (That's pretty cheap, Jeep!) The rear view mirror is too far away due to large dash; hard to adjust.