Used 2008 Jeep Patriot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Patriot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

130k and going strong!
By Brian C

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Reading some other reviews on here I felt inclined to share my story. I bought my 08 Patriot Limited through a friend who worked at Chrysler. It was an employee lessee vehicle and had just under 20k miles on it. It was my first vehicle and I wanted something 4WD as I lived in MI at the time and wanted something that could handle the snow. I feel this SUV delivers on points that a small SUV should, it handles well and gets good gas mileage(I average 22 on any day). It is not the prettiest Jeep ever made when it comes to in interior, its cheap plastic dash and instrument panels leave something to be desired, but as for the drive train it has not disappointed. Other than keeping up with the Breaks and Oil changes not much has been needed as far as maintenance on my Jeep. I did front breaks at 60k and then did all 4 breaks and rotors at 105k. At around 90k I heard some clunking in the front end and my neighbor was a mechanic at a dealer who said that the Lower control Arm/Ball Joints tend to wear in the Patriot and I should have it looked at. I did, and he was correct, they were wearing and needed to be replaced, my mechanic (not a dealer) quoted me ~$750 to do it, I decided to give it a shot myself and finished both sides in a few hours after getting the parts at Advanced. Other than the listed items above my Jeep Patriot has been everything I wanted from a first Jeep. The old adage is true, you get what you pay for, this is a lower cost Jeep when it comes to the Jeep family so they kept costs low on some luxury feature, but kept the money in the critical components. It handles GREAT in the snow and I recently moved from Michigan to Texas and had to pull 5x8 trailer for the first time, and other than killing the gas mileage it got the job done without any issues (and she was at 120K at the time). I would buy this car again if I needed another good running, affordable, 4wd, small SUV for my daily life. My next one will most likely be a Grand Cherokee (unless Ford brings back the Bronco...)

What a nightmare!
By redskins78

2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

What a piece of crap. 1. My dome lights leak water when it rains -- dripped and shorted out my stereo. 2. When the AC is on, it leaks into my drivers floorboards. 3. Real Calibers out at 90k miles 4. ALL ball joints needed replaced at 95k 5. Alternator dead at 100k 6. Two engine pullies replaced at 100k (major rattle) 7. Front struts replaced at 100k 8. Rotors at 100k 9. I get about 17 MPG city, and 20 MPG highway NOW... after putting $3500 into it over the past 9 months, it's riding better than ever... and what happens? My transmission oil overheats and I lose all acceleration while going 80mph on the the highway. I don't know how much that is going to cost, but I'm getting rid of it before I put another DOLLAR into it. Get on the Jeep Patriot message boards and see how common the dome light and AC leaking are. Same with the ball joints and the transmission oil issue. HUNK OF JUNK. Great exterior and interior... but total crap everywhere else.

huge mistake!
By bridges114

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2008 jeep patriot in 2012 and ever since I have had issues. I've had to replace the battery, alternator, plugs(which isn't a huge deal i understand that happens) but now my transmission has went out!!! Its completely ridiculous. I don't have 2000 plus labor to fix it so I am now screwed. I have no idea how I'm gonna get my kids to school, Dr appointments or me to work. I will never but anything made by Chrysler again nor do I reccomend it.

Got Lucky I Guess
By dandt1

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Why won't Edmunds let me select a Patriot Sport 4x4 CVT? After reading all the bad reviews on this car I thought I'd share my experience with our 2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 CVT. My wife purchased this car by herself brand new in December of 2007 and it currently has 93,000 miles. She wanted AWD and decent gas milage and liked that the Jeep Patriot came with a lifetime power-train warrantee. When I met my future wife, the car was a little over a year old so I've had a lot of experience driving it and dealing with the problems.

Honestly, I had very little expectations for this car. In the past I had bad luck with a 1998 Jeep Cherokee and didn't think the brand or Chrysler were putting out good products at the time. However, we've had very few problems with this car and I have to say that it has been very reliable so far. The exterior styling is probably my favorite feature. It also is comfortable on long trips and has good freeway manners.

Like others have said we had to replace both left and right front lower control arms (ball joints). This was done at the dealer and was $$$$$. (700?) The sunroof leaked a couple times, but I cleaned out the drain tubes and it's been fine since (we live in Seattle). The front right wheel speed sensor failed but was covered under warrantee. (the part is only $25) The ESIM (evaporative system integrity monitor) broke and threw a check engine light code (gas cap) but was an easy fix for me to do. The part was expensive about $$80.00 on ebay. That's it in nearly 100,000 miles. (besides new brakes, battery) So I think it's pretty good.

Maybe I got the only good one?
By minetrainer

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have read a number of negative reviews on this car. I bought mine new, in December of 2008. I have been driving it exclusively since then. I log about 25,000 miles a year. They gave me a first owner only lifetime or 1,000,000 mile warranty and I have often wondered why. This car is like the energizer bunny and I love it!

It has so much cargo room! And the interior has held up very well. I live in snow country and I love the transmission. Low range 4x4 in snow is the only way to go.

Can't think of one.