2008 Jeep Patriot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:
New 2014 Patriot and problems already
By frankie57 on 07/02/14 17:07 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My husband went golfing today in his NEW Jeep Patriot and when he started to come back home (less than 200 miles total on the car) the Jeep would not shift into first or second gears! Already we have had it into the dealership for repairs! Not at all what we expected when we bought a NEW vehicle from Jeep! It appears that the clutch cable 'came loose' and had to be reattached! HOW can that happen??? I hope this is NOT a pattern or we will be extremely unhappy - and since we are Jeep lovers, this would NOT be good! My son has 2 Grand Cherokees - VERY happy with them, and we also have a Jeep Liberty - which I drive and dearly love! PLEASE JEEP - keep our faith in your company! FIX IT!

Highly Defective Substandard Suv
By truth1hurts on 03/07/14 09:47 AM (PST)

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the 2008 Patriot new for $25k and within a few months endured unjustifiable anxiety for unrelenting warranty repairs on an inferior made cheap product. First and last time Jeep buyers, the 5-speed manual transmission went through 4+ major warranty repairs: clutch, transmission, defects, gear box, ball bearings, etc. It had to be towed a few times to the car lot. We lost value and money in a headache suv that was highly defective and unreliable and dismissed trips too. Very poor car, dealership, head office and managers. Stacks of warranty repair files amplifies our deserved poor rating of the car and all involved.

Terrible with a dash of confusion
By buckleyjohn on 02/19/14 13:31 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

First off, I have to agree with everyone here that this is a terrible Jeep. Now, I bought my 2008 Patriot 4x4 Sport with the automatic CVT and 2.4L in New Mexico used in 2010 with about 40k on it. Two days after I bought it, the transmission overheated. They tried to blame it on the fact that the tires didnt match. The front and rear were different profile sized. So, I called them retarded and made them service the transmission by changing the fluid and filter and give me a set of new tires. About 3 months went by. Same thing transmission overheated at 70mph on the highway in the middle of no where. Had to sit in the hot sun for about 3 hours for it to cool down.

do not buy
By jt9813 on 01/05/14 08:36 AM (PST)

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2008 Jeep Patriot with 58,000 miles. I have to replace the transmission and ball joints for total cost of $4700. The 2000 Jeep Patriot has a 5 year or 100,000 mile warranty but it is not transferable to this 2nd owner. I have talked to Jeep but with no success. If you check out the internet you will see that is a typical problem with the Jeep Patriot and Compass. Save yourself a lot of money and aggravation do not buy this vehicle.

Stay away from the cheap jeep
By alanhatesjeep on 01/02/14 17:11 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The most expensive car to maintain I have ever owned in 34 years. Like everyone, I have replaced tie rods, and ball joints continuously since I bought this jeep new in 2008. I also replaced the engine in 2012, due to a broken connecting rod, at 118,000 kilometers. Chrysler refused to warrant, as it was past 100,000 km. Thought I would just run it into the ground after I paid over $6,000 to have a used engine installed. Guess what? At a 130,000, a pin in the driver door snapped off and now the door will not close. Probably not a big repair, but enough is a enough. It is no longer insured.

JUNK CAR JUNK COMPANY
By kh0864 on 07/05/13 09:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I would like to add to my previous review... We went to the dealership and got our transmission looked at, and they confirmed at 100,000Km on a FIVE yr old car the transmission needs to be replaced... The best part.. the factory warranty is expired by TWO MONTHS and Jeep/Chrysler head office will NOT warranty it.. 2 [non-permissible content removed] MONTHS!!!!! Oh and the BEST part... They tell us it will be $5300.00 to replace...What a joke!!!! First and LAST time we ever buy an American car. Very disappointed, I really loved the looks of this car, too bad they can't get the CVT right.

CVT TRANSMISSION
By kh0864 on 07/04/13 15:39 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I just bought a 2008 Patriot, fell in love with it right away!! Loved the rugged looking exterior of an SUV/Truck with the gas mileage of a car! Unfortunately the love was short lived. ONE day after buying this Jeep it started to make a whinning noise which was coming from the front end.. We had a bad feeling it was the CVT transmission so we took it into the Chrysler/Jeep dealership and our suspisions were right.. It needs a new CVT Transmission!! a 5 year old car with 100,000KM on it should NOT need a new transmission!!! So to anyone looking to get a Patriot don't fall in love with the Exterior/Interior when what's under the hood doesnt stand up to par!!!

Loving it still.... 5 years in
By dbt1979 on 04/25/13 05:22 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2008 Jeep Patriot in August 2008. It was a daily rental return that just under 20,000 km on it. Almost 5 years later and I've had next to no problems with this vehicle besides wear parts. I got the extended warranty to 5 years / 100,000 km and the only warranty work that I needed was the fuel evap cannister that was hanging off (I probably ran over something) and there was minor work needed to be back end (sway bars and such) that was causing crunching noises when I went over bumps. Less than $600 warranty work in 5 years. I replaced the front brakes at 60 K and the back brakes (drums and all) at 95 K. 4 new tires at 60 K and I'll 4 new ones at 110K

I am done with Jeep
By suzib1 on 03/06/13 11:30 AM (PST)

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have replaced too many things on this vehicle to keep track. Ball joints (and I think they are bad again), transmission, tie rods, calipers, and assortment of belts, etc. I was hoping to have this vehicle for many years but it is becoming such an expense to upkeep that I may end up trading it in and dealing with a car payment again. I was looking for better gas mileage with 4-wheel drive than my Jeep Liberty, but the Patriot feels very cheap and apparently is made to break bit by bit. Even the dealership is stumped by the myriad of warning lights that turn on and won't turn off or simply stop working all together. Piece of garbage and don't waste your money and patience.

Poor Quality, Worse Company
By amricnsoldr on 12/21/12 09:51 AM (PST)

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the 2008 Patriot Sport 4x4 2.4L CVT automatic brand new. About a month into owning it we noticed water coming in and collecting in the front courtesy light lens after it had rained the night before. We realized this when we hit the brakes to stop and water poured out onto dash and soaked us both. Took it to the dealer and of course the dealer could not duplicate the problem. This was the first of 4 trips to the dealer for this problem. The 2nd time they said it was the sunroof leaking so they replaced it. The 3rd time it had to go back they FINALLY dropped the headliner and let a hose run on it all day to find the leak. still leaks to this day and now its out of warranty..

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.