2007 Jeep Patriot Consumer Review: Not what everyone else said

2007 Jeep Patriot - Consumer Review

Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual)

Not what everyone else said
By crashgordon on

2007 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After reading several reviews by other owners I'm reassured about my purchase decision. I bought my 2007 Patriot new in September 2007, soon after the lifetime warranty was offered. I opted for a manual transmission because I wanted the better gas mileage and was unsure about the CVT's. I wanted to wait until the CVT's had been in service for a few years before I bought one. Also, I was unimpressed with the CVT when I test drove one. With 65,000 miles I have had two warranty issues - the shift boot split and the switch on the cruise control needed replaced. NO other issues. I also bought a 100,000 mile service contract for the car, but have never used it. I have had no complaints.

I wanted a good, reliable and inexpensive "soft-roader" that got good gas mileage and that's what I have. I purposely looked for one with almost no options to keep cost and maintenance down. I have manual windows and locks and cloth seats and the standard low-end audio. The only options I got were a trailer hitch and cruise control. Maintenance has been a breeze and never had a problem. So far, in 4 years and 65,000 miles I have only paid for tires, wipers, spark plugs, filters, gas and oil (and a lift kit, and roof rack, and alloy wheels).

Underwhelming performance. I really wish the 2.4 delivered a bit more HP. I wish the car was a little better suited for off road. It sits way too low so I added an after market lift kit that raised it 2 inches. Much better. I can now back my boat trailer a little farther down the ramp with the car higher. The required tire size leave very few options for good all terrain tires. I wanted something more open than the OEM tires and only had a couple of options.