Defective Drive Train
By doodlebugger on
2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)
Have driven this vehicle for 3000 miles to date and have found the vehicle to have a defective drive train. Only on the 4X4, there is a power surge in the cruising range of 60 mph. Have been to 3 dealer service departments...none have offered a solution other than don't drive in the 60 MPH range. Two of the service department refused to acknowledge there is a problem. Typical manufacturer denial. The problem appears to be in the computer/torque converter and is much more pronounced on concrete roads than on asphalt roads. One service manager suggested it was caused by the road surface, not the Liberty.
Suggested Improvements
Don not buy a 4X4 Liberty until such time as Chrysler/Jeep comes up with a "fix" for the problem. This problem dates back at least one year and know Chrysler/Jeep is aware, but still no solution being offered.
By jsib
on 08/15/13 06:10 AM (PDT)

Did you buy it used for the problem may be u-joints and a gas heavy first owner. There is surge while cruising true but an annoying surge can be resolved with going 62 and setting the cruise.

By kimberlyh59
on 08/21/13 06:10 AM (PDT)

I have a 2012 Jeep Liberty as well. I have the same problem. My vehicle vibrates terribly and makes a very loud droaning noise. First time in they said there was no problems with it.... I refused to accept...they then decided it was the torque converter. Replaced it gave it back with still the very distinct vibration and noise. They 'CONSULTED" the in house Chrysler Engineer...who never drove it...just listened to the inadequate description of the problem from the "transmission specialist".... The answer was "this is characteristic of this vehicle....just accelerate through it till it stops"... I'm like WHAT????? Anyhow, all the "technicians" that have driven it say it's not normal....but they REFUSE to fix it...I'll never be able to ever sell this vehicle... or trade, as it is not intermittent it is constant. So, unless I don't let a person drive in the 40-55 mph range I'm good! Who in their right mind would expect a person to pay that kind of money and have to deal with this? I have a vehicle with 18k miles on it that is basically a piece of crap!