Used 2012 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Farmer Owned and Approved
By Aaron S.

2012 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I went from a Ford Truck to this 2012 Jeep Liberty 3 years ago because I wanted a reliable 4wd that could sit 4 people comfortably with a 5,000 pound towing capacity. I bought it a year old with 29,000 miles. I too was skeptical because of the expert reviews, however the customer reviews were very positive and I was impressed on my test drives.

Now that I have owned it for several years, this is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have towed extremely heavy trailers and put it in places that I should not have been able to drive away from. It has literally saved my life a time or two.

I have never had one thing go wrong with it. The 4 speed auto is ancient, but it is reliable. The 3.7 engine is the same way. Fuel mileage sucks, but you are paying for a capable SPORT UTILITY, not an SUV body on a Honda Fit. This was made to be a sport utility from the ground up.

Only complaints I have: The backseat leg room is somewhat cramped, the front foot leg room is cramped, and the trip button on the steering wheel oddly only works half the time, however i just use the other trip button on the dash. Also, the fuel mileage but as stated earlier, it is expected. Here are my fuel mileage numbers:

Average 17.04
Highest 21.81
Lowest 12.74

Overall, great vehicle for someone who wants a more capable sport utility that the status quo. Just understand what you are sacrificing in return.

Good Value
By Tami Ham

2012 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Recommend for smaller people, not very much comfort for a man larger than 5"9. The jeep is perfect for me, my husband is not very comfortable when going any distance. It is fun to drive and is a very snappy little car. It looks great and we have had 0 repair bills. We purchased extended and forever warranty but never have needed to use it. Not much room, but fantastic interior design it is as cute and would be perfect for 4 wheeling or for your go to vehicle for short trips. A perfect car for a young female driver.

First nice car for wife in a long while
By Pastor Bo Higby

2012 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We just bought a 2012 Trail Rated Liberty with the full sunroof about a month and a half ago. We are 2nd owners and we bought it with about 35k on it. We just drove it with our kids from Boise to San Diego (and all over San Diego for a week) and are now 3/4 of the way home. This thing is built solid. Drives smooth and has done decent on gas. Below 80mph increases the mpg's. Best we have calculated was just under 22mpg. The transmission in this thing is incredibly smooth. Edmunds says the engine is sluggish, but I think it just isn't as jerky as some other motor/tranny combos. We love the exterior design and the way it drives. The full sunroof is really cool and a neat feature. I will say this; I am 6' tall and weigh about 250 and the driver's compartment does feel 'snug', so if you are much bigger than me, ya might want something a bit bigger. Overall, we are thrilled with it. I'm 47 and my wife is 6 years younger. We have 2 kids (9 & 4) and all of us love this car, so far. Interior is a little chincey, but hey, it's a Jeep not some foo-foo high end suv. If you get one of these, I think you'll be glad you did, just like we are.

love my jeep
By latisia

2012 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great jeep just can't fit 3 car seats across the back. 3 people yes just not car seats.

Owners Review 3 years (35k miles)
By PAF20

2012 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Car review people don't know what they are talking about. They don't live in Colorado. The Liberty has adequate power to get you on I-25 on long on ramps. It is good in city traffic on acceleration. The 4 speed transmission may be outdated, but the newer 7 + speed transmissions on newer Jeeps like the Renegade or Cherokee (not the Grand) designed by Fiat have problems, beware. The 4 speed transmission on the 2012 Liberty is very reliable. Sure it is not a luxury vehicle, but you don't live in it. It is good overall despite it's fuel economy, but most 6-8 bangers don't get that well of gas mileage, especially the Toyota 4-runners, which the Jeep Liberties are supposed to be matched to, not like the Rav-4 or other wimpy crossovers that use 4 bangers. Car critics don't know what they are talking about because they don't own the vehicles they test. It is just their opinion. Talk to ones who own the Liberties and uses them. You will not find very many Jeep liberties on the used car lot. Many are keeping their jeeps.