Used 2012 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

It's not a compromise
By jsib

2012 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Never a compromise, a pack leader. Show me another "comparable" vehicle that can tow 5000lbs, great 4x4 for my excursions and snow, looks like a royal and is a snap to clean up!?! I towed 3000lbs from Tulsa to Indianapolis at 19.1 mpg and 65mph. My friend has a V8 Tahoe and never gets better than 15 around town with some highway added in. Roomy, easy to use and a classic elegant design inside and out. Extremely happy with it and it kills me that the replacement is awful and ugly (2014 Cherokee). Jeep forums are filled with Jeep loyalist that actually love to help out. With the added benefit of a 7yr/100,000 mile warranty my boys will be driving this in ten years easy. If I am not.

The radio with UConnect is easy to use, good looking and works great. The interior may be "slabby and cheap" but the design makes it very easy to clean up. I have cleaned two milkshake bombs, one accidental one terrain assisted, like it was a counter top. No nooks to hide in and spoil. The interior is very spacious and kicks the old Liberty and a H2, CRV, Rav4 or Explorer's butt with size, ease and just plain good looks.

The engine. No not for more power just smoothness and the lack of ECO jerking. The four speed is actually a wonderful gearbox but a 5 or 6 would just add, once again, smoothness to the vehicle. A better bluetooth link with smart phones for bluetooth music streaming and do away with the VR button. There are other hard buttons that do it's job and the memo feature is under utilized to a point that the system can do without and no one would notice.

12 months and no regrets
By krisiam

2012 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

First and foremost I love this car because of the value -- an unbelievable deal at the time I got it at the end of '11 taking advantage of mfg. incentives left me with a 4x4 with popular option group for 22K. That's so low for a 6 cylinder 4x4 SUV it's unreal. Front seats are supportive and would be comfortable except for the placement of the driver's side seat belt the metal part digs into my hip and becomes painful on long rides. Stereo has decent sound and the output to hook up the mp3 player is a nice. Have had some electrical issues which affect the horn and audio controls, have had it in 4x for the same problem(s). Holding out hope they'll resolve it, want to keep it forever.

A true, rugged 4x4 -- no wanna be here. Powerful towing capability. Nice sound from speakers. Plenty of cargo space. Ample backseat space. All seats fold flat for hauling (very helpful!). Exterior appearance -- looks cool.

Have had it in 4x for wiring issue in the steering column, affects horn function (stops working altogether or blares continuously) and audio steering wheel controls (stop working). Drivers side seat belt receiver is painful as it digs into the hip on long rides. Would like the window controls back on the center console where my previous Jeep Liberty had them.

New Jeep Owner
By dvkiel

2012 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We've only had our 2012 Jeep Liberty Sport for about a month. So far I am very pleased with the overall performance of this vehicle. It is very solidly built and handles very well. I am a bit disappointed with the gas mileage (20 mpg) thus far, but with only 800 miles on the it I'm hoping it will get better. The overall interior, and exterior design are very nice. The media center with gps and satilite radio nice as well. The hard drive is an added bonus. I think the professional reviewers are selling this vehicle short. Hope to have it for a very long time to come. This is used as pleasure vehicle.

Heated seats, Hard Drive for storing music. Clean body style.

Better gas mileage.

All exellent consumer reviews Why do the pros not like this vehicle
By adrexel

2012 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 wrangler sport and just traded in a 2009 grand cherokee with a quadra trac 1. Living in maine I wanted a vehicle that was trail rated and could seat 5 and tow 5000lbs This liberty fit the order. My wife and I love it. I being older the crossovers do not appeal to me if I want a soft ride I would by a car. Great vehicle!

full fold rear seats including front passinger seat for long loads. Trail Rated for the back roads, 4 wheel anti lock disk brakes for great highway stopping, actually I like everything about the 2012 Liberty. Great Vehicle.

I think better gas milage would help it get better rating from the pros that rate vehicles.

The best vehicle I have ever purchased
By dealer7

2012 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Being 55 years old I have purchased many, many vehicles the Jeep Liberty is by far the best most logical I have ever purchased. The MPG is alot better than advertised, the ride is alot smoother than I expected ,the exterior and interior styling is great. This Jeep is built to last it will most likely last me the rest of my life. I test drove every mid size SUV on the market and found that no other manufacturer comes close to the Jeep Liberty. I let some friends take it for a trip they loved it and are now in the market for one. The Liberty was a great surprise and I am very happy I bought one.

The overall style inside and out. My surprise was how good it was on gas mileage 19-25.

none