Used 2012 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2012 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Good Value
By Tami Ham

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Recommend for smaller people, not very much comfort for a man larger than 5"9. The jeep is perfect for me, my husband is not very comfortable when going any distance. It is fun to drive and is a very snappy little car. It looks great and we have had 0 repair bills. We purchased extended and forever warranty but never have needed to use it. Not much room, but fantastic interior design it is as cute and would be perfect for 4 wheeling or for your go to vehicle for short trips. A perfect car for a young female driver.

First nice car for wife in a long while
By Pastor Bo Higby

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We just bought a 2012 Trail Rated Liberty with the full sunroof about a month and a half ago. We are 2nd owners and we bought it with about 35k on it. We just drove it with our kids from Boise to San Diego (and all over San Diego for a week) and are now 3/4 of the way home. This thing is built solid. Drives smooth and has done decent on gas. Below 80mph increases the mpg's. Best we have calculated was just under 22mpg. The transmission in this thing is incredibly smooth. Edmunds says the engine is sluggish, but I think it just isn't as jerky as some other motor/tranny combos. We love the exterior design and the way it drives. The full sunroof is really cool and a neat feature. I will say this; I am 6' tall and weigh about 250 and the driver's compartment does feel 'snug', so if you are much bigger than me, ya might want something a bit bigger. Overall, we are thrilled with it. I'm 47 and my wife is 6 years younger. We have 2 kids (9 & 4) and all of us love this car, so far. Interior is a little chincey, but hey, it's a Jeep not some foo-foo high end suv. If you get one of these, I think you'll be glad you did, just like we are.

love my jeep
By latisia

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great jeep just can't fit 3 car seats across the back. 3 people yes just not car seats.

Owners Review 3 years (35k miles)
By PAF20

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Car review people don't know what they are talking about. They don't live in Colorado. The Liberty has adequate power to get you on I-25 on long on ramps. It is good in city traffic on acceleration. The 4 speed transmission may be outdated, but the newer 7 + speed transmissions on newer Jeeps like the Renegade or Cherokee (not the Grand) designed by Fiat have problems, beware. The 4 speed transmission on the 2012 Liberty is very reliable. Sure it is not a luxury vehicle, but you don't live in it. It is good overall despite it's fuel economy, but most 6-8 bangers don't get that well of gas mileage, especially the Toyota 4-runners, which the Jeep Liberties are supposed to be matched to, not like the Rav-4 or other wimpy crossovers that use 4 bangers. Car critics don't know what they are talking about because they don't own the vehicles they test. It is just their opinion. Talk to ones who own the Liberties and uses them. You will not find very many Jeep liberties on the used car lot. Many are keeping their jeeps.

It's not a compromise
By jsib

2012 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Never a compromise, a pack leader.
Show me another "comparable" vehicle that can tow 5000lbs, great 4x4 for my excursions and snow, looks like a royal and is a snap to clean up!?!
I towed 3000lbs from Tulsa to Indianapolis at 19.1 mpg and 65mph.
My friend has a V8 Tahoe and never gets better than 15 around town with some highway added in.
Roomy, easy to use and a classic elegant design inside and out.
Extremely happy with it and it kills me that the replacement is awful and ugly (2014 Cherokee).
Jeep forums are filled with Jeep loyalist that actually love to help out.
With the added benefit of a 7yr/100,000 mile warranty my boys will be driving this in ten years easy.
If I am not.

The radio with UConnect is easy to use, good looking and works great. The interior may be "slabby and cheap" but the design makes it very easy to clean up. I have cleaned two milkshake bombs, one accidental one terrain assisted, like it was a counter top. No nooks to hide in and spoil. The interior is very spacious and kicks the old Liberty and a H2, CRV, Rav4 or Explorer's butt with size, ease and just plain good looks.

The engine. No not for more power just smoothness and the lack of ECO jerking. The four speed is actually a wonderful gearbox but a 5 or 6 would just add, once again, smoothness to the vehicle. A better bluetooth link with smart phones for bluetooth music streaming and do away with the VR button. There are other hard buttons that do it's job and the memo feature is under utilized to a point that the system can do without and no one would notice.