2009 Jeep Liberty Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2009 Liberty Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Sort Reviews by

terrible
By Jen Losurdo

2009 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2009 jeep liberty that I have owned for 2 years. The heater core is shot,the jeep squeaks like every day I drive it, the sunroof leaks and my head liner is completely ruined. This is a piece of junk! Bought it from Drivers Village in Syracuse, ny and they had it back there 3 times to fix all this and never did. They sell lemons don't go there!

Things to know
By herc

2009 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

People say they used to drive a crossover and don't like the Liberty ride. The first thing to know is that the Liberty is a real Jeep. It will not ride like a car based crossover. That said, it actually does pretty darn good on regular roads. Our Liberty has 90k miles and the drive train has been solid. No squeaks or rattles. Overall our Jeep has been reliable. We've owned Hondas and other brands so being objective here. Items that will likely be a problem sooner or later on the Liberty include automatic climate controller, trans cooler, and totally integrated power module (when this goes bad the car seems haunted). Wife loves driving the Liberty year round. We would buy another one.

Favorite Features

Looks like a Jeep should, very useful on or off road, decent towing capability (5000 lbs), and I like that the engine sounds just like the old Slant 6..an engine that almost could not be killed. Our Limited is pretty quiet inside especially for an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Like every other interior since almost the day Daimler bought Chrysler, the interior materials are cheap plastic in a lot of areas. Fiat is fixing that problem but unfortunately making Jeeps a lot less, well, Jeep-like.

Not my first choice...but ok
By rpsims82

2009 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We got a good deal on it, first off. Bought it new with only 29 miles on it, and $5k less than book. Good running vehicle, but it's gutless, really. The 4x4 and traction control system are amazing! I've never had a vehicle with such an awesome system.....when they work. We've got 40k miles on it, and the transfer case control module has issues. The steering rack sprung a leak, rear tire pressure sensor went out causing everything to shut down. Couldn't use 4x4 with that out, and the rear hatch light comes on with the dome light at times. Rides like a rock, but turns on a dime. There is only a few inches of suspention travel, so don't get too crazy off road becuase it is not forgiving

Favorite Features

Good traction control and amazing 4x4 on and off road....when they work. The jack and tire iron location is very discreet, secure, and organized. There is a trough for the oil to drain from the oil filter, which is nice.

Suggested Improvements

Tow hooks should be standard (especially on a trail rated vehicle), hook style rear wiper for easier replacement, more suspension travel, get rid of the Goodyear Wranglers as stock tires (they're junk). Do something different with the lug nuts because those caps fall off and the tire iron with the vehicle is useless on a cap-less nut. The oil filter is a royal pain to get to. I know there's a better way to do that.

problems
By southtowns62

2009 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

my gate warning light came on 3 times interior lights also came on. they replaced switch 2 times in rear hatchback. im getting ice buildup inside drivers side door. they lubed area said they could do nothing more. i have to chip ice from inide door hindges. can anyone help

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

rear hatch latch icing inside drivers door

Red, Racy but Rough on the MPG
By D Cowan

2009 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Reasonable cost to buy and maintain, but mpg is only 12.5 avg. spirited driving in town traffic. With care, can get 23 hwy. Visibility is great.

Favorite Features

Good looks inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

Standard backup sensors and camera.

It's average
By adrian

2009 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned it for more than a year and no problems with the powertrain. Little things break all the time, door molding fell off and roof molding which was held on by double stick tape.The truck squeaks like it's 20 years old and the dealer can't fix it been there 4 times for that and it wont start sometimes have to keep playing with key in the ignition.

Favorite Features

skyslider is great, drives really good on the beach and on rough terrain. Stereo cranks and overall layout of vehicle is great.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality needs to get better and don't use double stick tape to build a vehicle. Powertrain is pre-historic a twin cam engine with a 5 speed tranny would have been great.

Jeep
By Jeepers

2009 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in my 97 140k mile Grand Cherokee for the 09 Liberty. In the 140k miles I drove that car it had NO problems. Those who rag on the Liberty's gas mileage should go buy themselves a hybrid and keep moving.I was looking for an upper-teen's priced SUV that was fun to drive, dependable, and didn't look like a soccer mom drove it. The comparing cars (ie: Rav4, Forester, CR- V) looked and felt unappealing to me. The Liberty drives great and comes with some nice options like the 30GB multimedia storage for mp3s/jpegs, internal CD burner, usb port, voice command, bluetooth, satellite radio, sunroof, ect. The outside is stylish and the off-road capabilities are top of the line. Glad I went Jeep

Favorite Features

Multimedia Setup, Stylish Build, Easy Drive, Off-road ready, Roomy (I'm 6'0 185lbs), 5 Star crash rating, Suspension upgrade.

Suggested Improvements

Tweak the suspension a bit more for that super smooth ride on pavement, maybe include some bigger tires in a package

My money pit of a car
By Lisa

2009 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2009 Jeep Liberty used 6 months ago. It was on a company lease program for 6 months before that. Since I have owned it the defrost as stopped, the back window gate latch broke and needed replaced and now the BIGGIE the transmission has gone!! and since I'm the second owner no life time warranty on it.... Fresh out of college and this is my first car. I researched this car it was my dream car I thought. I hate it....

Favorite Features

It looks cool

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind the junk you build. Bigger dash..

Don't do it.
By not impressed

2009 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Folks got it as a B-day present for me. So it was free and I still don't like it. I drive in -40F temps, the heat often doesn't get the job done on the feet or the dash. I've actually had ice form on the inside of the windshield. Dealer says "Nothing they can do about it." So it's definitely not good for colder climates.

Favorite Features

Towing ability. This thing tows beautifully, only good thing I can say about mine.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel Mileage. Better placement of fans/heat on windshield & feet. Legroom is terrible.

Buy a Jeep!
By atrometer

2009 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We have the two package and she tows our travel trailer great! (13-15 mpg) Mileage without trailer is 22 on the road as rated. We like this better than any vehicle we've had, and at 70 we've had a LOT!

Favorite Features

Everything you want/need is standard, except for two package.

Suggested Improvements

None!