2009 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
Things to know
By herc on 04/17/14 13:39 PM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

People say they used to drive a crossover and don't like the Liberty ride. The first thing to know is that the Liberty is a real Jeep. It will not ride like a car based crossover. That said, it actually does pretty darn good on regular roads. Our Liberty has 90k miles and the drive train has been solid. No squeaks or rattles. Overall our Jeep has been reliable. We've owned Hondas and other brands so being objective here. Items that will likely be a problem sooner or later on the Liberty include automatic climate controller, trans cooler, and totally integrated power module (when this goes bad the car seems haunted). Wife loves driving the Liberty year round. We would buy another one.

Not my first choice...but ok
By rpsims82 on 02/26/12 09:23 AM (PST)

2009 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We got a good deal on it, first off. Bought it new with only 29 miles on it, and $5k less than book. Good running vehicle, but it's gutless, really. The 4x4 and traction control system are amazing! I've never had a vehicle with such an awesome system.....when they work. We've got 40k miles on it, and the transfer case control module has issues. The steering rack sprung a leak, rear tire pressure sensor went out causing everything to shut down. Couldn't use 4x4 with that out, and the rear hatch light comes on with the dome light at times. Rides like a rock, but turns on a dime. There is only a few inches of suspention travel, so don't get too crazy off road becuase it is not forgiving

problems
By southtowns62 on 02/10/11 07:23 AM (PST)

2009 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

my gate warning light came on 3 times interior lights also came on. they replaced switch 2 times in rear hatchback. im getting ice buildup inside drivers side door. they lubed area said they could do nothing more. i have to chip ice from inide door hindges. can anyone help

Red, Racy but Rough on the MPG
By D Cowan on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Reasonable cost to buy and maintain, but mpg is only 12.5 avg. spirited driving in town traffic. With care, can get 23 hwy. Visibility is great.

It's average
By adrian on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned it for more than a year and no problems with the powertrain. Little things break all the time, door molding fell off and roof molding which was held on by double stick tape.The truck squeaks like it's 20 years old and the dealer can't fix it been there 4 times for that and it wont start sometimes have to keep playing with key in the ignition.

Jeep
By Jeepers on 04/24/10 21:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in my 97 140k mile Grand Cherokee for the 09 Liberty. In the 140k miles I drove that car it had NO problems. Those who rag on the Liberty's gas mileage should go buy themselves a hybrid and keep moving.I was looking for an upper-teen's priced SUV that was fun to drive, dependable, and didn't look like a soccer mom drove it. The comparing cars (ie: Rav4, Forester, CR- V) looked and felt unappealing to me. The Liberty drives great and comes with some nice options like the 30GB multimedia storage for mp3s/jpegs, internal CD burner, usb port, voice command, bluetooth, satellite radio, sunroof, ect. The outside is stylish and the off-road capabilities are top of the line. Glad I went Jeep

My money pit of a car
By Lisa on 02/15/10 09:04 AM (PST)

2009 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2009 Jeep Liberty used 6 months ago. It was on a company lease program for 6 months before that. Since I have owned it the defrost as stopped, the back window gate latch broke and needed replaced and now the BIGGIE the transmission has gone!! and since I'm the second owner no life time warranty on it.... Fresh out of college and this is my first car. I researched this car it was my dream car I thought. I hate it....

Don't do it.
By not impressed on 01/19/10 14:49 PM (PST)

2009 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Folks got it as a B-day present for me. So it was free and I still don't like it. I drive in -40F temps, the heat often doesn't get the job done on the feet or the dash. I've actually had ice form on the inside of the windshield. Dealer says "Nothing they can do about it." So it's definitely not good for colder climates.

Buy a Jeep!
By atrometer on 01/15/10 21:06 PM (PST)

2009 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We have the two package and she tows our travel trailer great! (13-15 mpg) Mileage without trailer is 22 on the road as rated. We like this better than any vehicle we've had, and at 70 we've had a LOT!

A manly SUV
By mark on 12/24/09 12:51 PM (PST)

2009 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I was able to find a Limited 4WD with great end of the year incentives. I saved thousands and feel I got a great price for a reliable and quite handsome vehicle. I like the rugged looks of this vehicle as well as all of the amenities that come with the Limited package. It rides nice, is quite comfortable and looks so good! I only have two complaints: First, a very short dashboard. There's no room for paperwork, food, etc. A major complaint is the gas mileage. I know that this is an SUV, but 13mpg in the city and 17mpg on the hwy is pathetic. This is a midsize SUV. I don't beat on this car. I'm not fast on the accelerator and I even upgraded to synthetic oil at 3000 miles.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Jeep Liberty in VA is:

$129 per month*