Great budget crossover
By bryan on
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)
Don't believe the less than stellar pro reviews, read the reviews by actual owners. It's not flashy, it doesn't try to be. If you're bent on luxury, this isn't it, but it's by no means uncomfortable or ugly. As far as crossovers go the mileage doesn't compare to the subarus or other japanese models, but this one will take you much farther into the woods than they will. It's not a full on SUV like a wrangler, but it's very capable in lighter duty applications where the rocks, mud, and water are less severe. This is so far the best vehicle I have ever driven on snowy, icy roads, and I drive big macho F-350 and 550 trucks all day. AWD (with a lock option) is far superior to 4WD on snowy roads.
Favorite Features
Driving snowy, icy roads is a non issue, dare I say almost boring (the all terrain tires are a big help here). Great for lighter duty off road. Overall mpg with AWD is consistent 21 winter and 23 summer.
Suggested Improvements
If the mpg could match the Japanese models that would be even better. Sometimes the power and throttle response are just adequate, but it's a 4 cylinder, it's no muscle car, it's not why I bought it. Hey jeep, how about a hybrid option for the liberty? Now we're talking!