Used 2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Most Helpful|
Pleased
By Rick

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I are very pleased with this Liberty Limited. It has all the options including sun roof. The MyGig Infotainment w/Nav and the Sirius system make this fun to drive. Evic lets you check tire pressures to keep them equal, which is important with an SUV. The chrome on the exterior makes the Black look sharp. It's not to big and handles and rides beautifully. We are very glad to own it. It will be one year old next month. A vehicle without MyGig Gps, siruis etc. and Evic sure would be dull.

Favorite Features

Clean Jeep style. Chrome. Heated power leather seats with lumbar support for the driver. Evic display to check things. Towing capacity for boat. MyGig means you load your CD's on the Hard Drive and leave them all at home. GPS will take you where you wish to go, find hotels, restaurants, police etc..

Suggested Improvements

Better gas milage.

Jeep Liberty '08 and going strong!
By Diane K

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Every day I get into my 2008 Jeep Liberty and it's like a new SUV to me. I love the interior layout- easy to use iPod and sound system. Did not get GPS-- don't need it, so other features are housed there. Fabulous off road- after I upgraded the tires to the Firestone, Destination A/Ts. Now I have a lot more confidence. Use this for trailering, skiing, dog and vacationing- LOVE IT! Didn't listen to reviews- and glad I got it. It's been really fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Quick release seats that slide back when dressed up- easy exit. Huge sunroof (instead of Skyslider) and like the lift gate window release. Love the outlet- to charge phone and laptop and the laptop desk in the back of the passenger's seat.

Suggested Improvements

Button in dash for back window in tailgate to release. Replace stock tires ASAP- very slippery and not for off roading.

3rd and Best Jeep I've had
By jnaper

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We've owned a 97 Wrangler, 99 Cherokee and now this completely loaded Liberty. Loved them all and this one is the best. We just had a huge snowstorm here near Chicago. My wife and I went out for a drive before our streets were plowed. No one else could make it except for other jeeps or serious 4wd trucks. Our Liberty went through 19-20 inches pf snow without a hiccup. Comfortable, functional, and very capable in deep sand or snow.

Favorite Features

Heated seats are my wife's favorite things. For me it's the MyGig with Nav and Bluetooth. Remote start is great, as is the great sound system with a subwoofer. This is Limited has the tow package, plus skid plates, and just about everything else.

Suggested Improvements

Original tires are not the best choice. Too slick for my choice.

Fun + Stylish + Touch of Luxury
By Joe D

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Got the 08 Limited Edition Liberty at fire sale prices in October. What a fun, fun car. We live in the Northeast and the car handled all the snowy weather beautifully. But the sunny days allowed that Sky Slider Roof to really brighten your day. The car came with Sirius radio free for 1 year (cool!), leather heated seat and factory installed remote start (again, think harsh PA winters). All the chrome makes the Liberty look cool and the two kids still in car seats still have a good amount of room.

Favorite Features

Sky Slider Roof, heated leather seats, remote start, great handling (much tighter turning than you would expect), cool looking

Suggested Improvements

Resale value of Jeeps seems to have plummeted with all of Chrysler's issues. Oh well, I plan on keeping this baby a long time!

The worst vehicle I have ever seen, bar none.
By sal42

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Edition 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought it new in 2008 and it was the worse mistake my family ever made on cars, EVER. On the test drive the dashboard was literally coming out and you could see the wires and tubing under the dash. I pleaded with my father to not buy it, yet he was swayed by the exterior styling. During 3 years of horror (aka vehicle ownership), 3 of the window motors broke leaving the windows stuck in place, the plastics/materials are horrendous and the dashboard popped out twice. Besides that the seats were the most uncomfortable I have ever sat in, like sitting on concrete!!!!! The car is crampt, and the MPG figures are A LIE!!! The car barely got 10 MPG in the city, and maybe 16 or so freeway.

Favorite Features

Although it was by far and away a total junk and a perfect example of why Chrysler went bankrupt, it actually could turn on a dime. Don't ask me why the turning radius was so good and nothing else, but it could make U-turns like nothing!

Suggested Improvements

They should have never built this car, it really is that poorly designed and built. It really shows you why Chrysler went bankrupt. When you see cars this bad you feel like crying. If parts pop out on the test drive on a brand new car, you know it's bad. MPG figures given are a lie, the real MPG for the 3.7L 2WD is about 10 city/16 freeway, and that is no exaggeration. The car is a GAS HOG!!!!! And it's not a very big vehicle either, just goes to show you how Chrysler can't design an efficient and powerful engine if their lives depended on it. In general all Chrysler engines from that era were gas hogs and underperformed for their displacement. Dismal engineering.