Used 2008 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Very Poor Defrost capability
By SC

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Because I have 250,000 on my 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport I bought another Jeep. I am disappointed about the defrost capabilities of this. The dashboard defrost only goes to the middle of the windshield leaving both the ends of the windshield hard to get and keep clear. When the semis pass you on snowing roads, keeping the windshield clear is essential. I drive 45,000+ each year and in the sub-zero temps in December, I was on the interstate with semis passing, because of the inferior defrost system, it was impossible to see. I actually had to pull over and scrape ice off the windshield. I am not an expert but I think the dashboard should be recalled. I had someone else drive it and he agreed.

Favorite Features

I like the square look

Suggested Improvements

Although the vehicle stays very hot, fix it so the defrost covers the entire dashboard.

Third Jeep
By Joe

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I like the performance overall, but acceleration from a stop is sluggish. Also lacks 'oomph' passing on upgrades. I do like the 6-spd manual. I like the looks inside and out (vast improvement over 2003-2007). I hate the instrument panel and controls. Those little lights are difficult to see in bright sun. The radio controls are complicated and poorly positioned, including the 'Set' button next to the first station button. Station buttons don't always work correctly. I hate that "Change Oil" message that's based on time and mileage and unrelated to actual oil changes. The vehicle seems rugged enough, but the springs squeak, even when you just get in or out.

Favorite Features

I like the looks (nicer than the Dodge Nitro), 6-spd manual transmission, ground clearance, seats (comfort and fold-down capabilities), and the return to a more masculine design.

Suggested Improvements

Try an AC control I can turn to 'on' instead of pushing the temp knob and getting an indicator light I can't see. Need a full overhead console with compass and storage for glasses. Need more power under the hood. Gas mileage is as advertised, but I'd sacrifice 2 mpg for a bit more pep.

Love It #2
By Matt

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This is our second Liberty. We gave our 2003 to our son. Only had it two weeks but so far we love it. I'm sure it's faster than the old one and I guarantee it is more comfortable. The transmission shifts a bit weird but I'm getting used to it. The 2003 did feel more rugged for off- road abuse, but for what most people use these for, I'm sure the new one will be just fine.

Favorite Features

Power, ultra-comfortable seats, sky- slider, stereo is a huge improvement, and I'm glad to be rid of that swinging rear door. That was not easy for unloading groceries in the garage.

Suggested Improvements

Add another gear to the transmission. More aggressive tires would be nice. No black leather option.

Slider roof noisy
By ahck123

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Do not buy with slider roof. Purchased vehicle on 1/1/09. During test drive I asked about the roof noise & was told it would be a minor adjustment that could be done the next day. As rebates were expiring that day I purchased the car. The next day they couldn't fix in a day and I would have to leave the vehicle. After a week, the dist mgr, and 2 serv reps drove the car all agreed the noise was excessive. A week later they replaced a part and have declared it fixed. The noise is unchanged. I have paperwork showing that a Chrysler engineer said the repair they were going to do would not fix the problem. Chrysler will not buy the car back and have said it is normal noise.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the roof noise. My car starts to be noisy at 35 mph and at 60+ you have to turn the radio way up and practically scream at people in the backseat or at least tell people that there will be this level of noise all the time

Amazing Jeep
By Michigangurl

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Well this is my very first SUV and my very first brand new vehicle. I had a 2004 Mazda3 and a 1999 Dodge Avenger before this Jeep. I haven't had it long but I absolutely LOVE it. We looked at several different SUV's before purchasing this one and we were definitely happy with this purchase when we drove it home. I have always loved Jeeps and I was definitely happy to finally own one. It doesn't even hesitate to go through the snow we have and I feel so much safer in it. My dad did own the old body style of the Liberty and I definitely love the changes they have made!

Favorite Features

4WD, the power, the interior, and the comfort of the ride. It is so roomy and nice inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

I guess my only complaint with this would be the gas mileage, but I can't really complain because it is a 4wd SUV and I knew it wasn't going to get the greatest mileage when I decided to buy it.