Used 2008 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

08 Liberty Limited
By silverado

2008 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Like the looks of it. Traded in a Honda Element for it, but not sure if it was such a good trade. Has been in the shop a number of times for numerous things: leaking back window, ticking steering wheel when turning it sharply, leaking skyslider roof, noisy skyslider roof, brake issues, transmission issues. If I had known all of this would not have traded in my Element....regret it. Will more than likely go back to an Element again soon.

Favorite Features

Remote start. Skyslider, but think the design of it was really poorly thought out....leaks all the time. Can't take it through a car wash and that's a problem in the winter with salt/slush issues.

Suggested Improvements

Many issues to deal with.....transmission problems, leaks, noises, brake squeal. Did a poor job on this one Jeep.

Still loving my Jeep
By C.SIMS

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my liberty back in oct 2007 as a brand new suv. I did a review of how much I loved it then, but we all know the true test is within that 1st year. Well I can tell you I still love it. It still drives well, it's still rugged and it still looks sharp. I keep it shiny. It's still a head Turner.

Favorite Features

The high sitting position, the sunroof,easy to get in and out of,the dealership does the oil changes quickly,the styling of it...etc.

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage,and a more powerful engine. I make sure I have the truck at a nice speed before trying to pass someone-if you don't-the horsepower is not strong enough to do it quickly.

Its a Jeep thing: Most don't understand
By motordude

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

First of all, this is the best vehicle I have owned and my 7th Jeep. Some vehicles just "fit" and some don't. This really fits well. The engineers did well with seat comfort, equalizing armrest height and control placement to make for a great experience. The best news: It looks like a Jeep, it drives like a Jeep and it feels like a Jeep, not a Lexus and fortunately not Toyota. I love the Skyslider, mine is quiet because they performed the TSB and installed a new bow. The ESP is amazing. I live in snow country in western New York and I rarely use the 4WD since ESP and all-speed traction control are so effective. I hope the Jeep brand and feel aren't diluted in the future.

Favorite Features

ESP, All speed traction control, SkySlider full-open roof, Seat Comfort, Control placement, Rugged feel. Reliability (I have had 7 Jeeps and have only had normal maintenance, not even a check engine light in any)

Suggested Improvements

Change the name back to Cherokee as this is much tougher looking than the old Liberty. Mopar needs more accessories. They don't have nearly as many as they once did. Sliding, not just reclining rear seats. Steering wheel audio control on Sport optional like old model. 8 way power pass. seat

Liberty Limited
By Thor

2008 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Compared to other small Utes, the Liberty Limited has them beat. Little things, such as: Memory Seating, easy exit, remote start. Put this rig above the rest. The V-6 is lack-luster and it doesn't get great mileage in town, but I got 23 MPG on a 2000 mile trip. The seats are very comfortable and even though the foot wells seem crowded, there is plenty of room and I'm a big Norwegian. I had a 4x4 Escape before and thought that was a great car, but the features, such as: 4 wheel disk brakes and real 4x4 put he Escape to shame. The Jeep didn't even cost any more than the Ford. It rides well and runs great. Looks good too!

Favorite Features

Remote start and memory seats. It is so nice to click the remote and have the seat and mirrors set. No one else at this price point has that feature. Remote start is great! The system locks the doors and starts. It will turn off after 15 minutes if you do nothing else. A pre-heated or cooled car.

Suggested Improvements

Change location of "U-Connect" answer button for the hands free phone option. It should be on the steering wheel.

I'm a convert!
By Snow Gal

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I live in a small town in Alaska where owning the right vehicle is a life or death matter. You don't want to lose it on some desolate highway, stuck in a snowbank, waiting for someone to drive by while your breath forms sheets of ice on the inside of the windows. Been there! I have driven this Liberty in the nastiest weather and it handles like it was made for snow. I recommend the Selec-Trac 4 wheel drive system over the optional Command-Trac, which is more like AWD with a 4 low option. Whether there's 6 inches of fresh snow on the road, slush, ice, or I'm just bouncing down the trail to my favorite fishing hole, this Jeep was made for Alaska!

Favorite Features

Selec-trac 4 wheel drive system, stereo, and outside temp gauge (handy for determining if that shine on the road is ice or water)

Suggested Improvements

Would prefer a swing-out tailgate for a rear-mounted spare. Spare under the rig can be a real hassle in most situations.