2008 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
Expected a little more
By Liberty Limited on 10/18/08 19:57 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have very mixed feelings with my Jeep. Aesthetically it looks nice inside and out yet once you begin to familiarize yourself with the SUV you begin to notice the abundance of plastic both inside and out. Cheap plastic that scratches easily. The MPG sticker says 20 mpg on the hwy. True if you reset the gauge doing 55 mph on a flat low wind hwy. 16-17 mpg combined city/hwy is realistic. The drive train should have been updated with the rest of the Jeep. Same drivetrain as in the previous version/yrs. Normally this would be a good thing however the additional 200-300 lbs that the vehicle gained with the remodel has made it lethargic from a stop and forcing the trans to constantly look for a gear.

Liberty is under rated
By Dan on 10/13/08 19:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

It appears that the Liberty is under rated by most review sites and is a very good vehicle if it meets your needs. I drive dirt roads almost daily and not all vehicles can take that pounding. The car is functional, rides comfortable and can handle the back roads. Made sure to get the all terrain tires (all of the vehicles at dealerships were 4x4 but only a few dealerships had the all terrain tires) and the Jeep green color is nice as well. Ample storage space inside and fun to drive as well. Although gas mileage is below average the vehicles are selling well below the competition and that more than makes up the difference. Only down side appears to be a little too much wind noise.

made in Toledo Ohio
By Rob on 10/10/08 19:43 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Jeep is a great make. This is my fourth; had '94 and '96 Cherokees and a '98 Grand. My 2008 Ltd Liberty is the best. Driving position is excellent. Interior/exterior design is superb. Daily commute mpg is 19-20 mpg. Steering was a bit over-responsive at first, but I like it after 2000 miles. Get the cargo area plastic tray from Mopar; fits perfectly and it can be easily removed to shake out dirt/mulch. Braking is sure and even. Outside mirrors are overlarge - great for backing-up. Recommend the sun-roof, no problems with leaking in car washes. Sound system is best I ever owned. Get inferno-red, looks great! Transmission can be a bit growly when accelerating uphill, must be the gearing.

For The Love Of Liberty
By Robert Simmons on 10/07/08 13:18 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

After two Ford Explorer Limiteds that let me down big time, it was time to change, so I looked at X-terra, Toyota, and Jeep. Loved the new squared off styling on the Jeep Limited with the full size tire now underneath. The ride and comfort for my 6'1" frame has been superb with plenty of leg room and the handling has been great, plus it's quiet. The interior layout is ergonomically fantastic and well planned. The MYGIG radio system with Infinity speakers is the best sound system I have had in a vehicle and bluetooth phone connects are effortless plus the navigation system always guides me home correctly. I am so happy with this vehicle that I bought another one to keep at a 2nd home.

08 liberty rules
By jd on 10/05/08 20:58 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

the ride is nice, even at high speeds i have no probs with wind sound and i have the skyslider. works awesomely in the rain and snow in 4 wheel drive. if anyone else says otherwise, then they don't know how to drive :P

skyslider
By base on 10/03/08 09:31 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

08 liberty skyslider roof when closed makes so much wind noise when traveling at 55mph and gets worse as you go faster hope there is a fixed for this

Good entry SUV
By juggalonic on 10/01/08 18:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Overall I love my Liberty. For the money you can not find a better small SUV. The only negatives I have found: small-ish gas tank (roughly 300 miles to a tank); plastic trim pieces scratch easily (but are not too noticeable); sitting position takes getting used to in front seats (wide transmission tunnel, I heard that this actually better after the redesign). The exterior looks are aggressive and the 3.7 L engine has plenty of PEP. It did fine hauling 2 moto's on a trailer also. The basic options are better than the competitor's and the safety features are tops too. No small SUV holds value like a Jeep (and I am a Ford man!)

Better than my Aztek
By George on 09/30/08 10:36 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first non GM car ever. Traded in a 2000 Pontiac Aztek that my wife and I loved. This is a tougher car. It will go anywhere and it is a lot of fun to drive. I only have 2200 miles so far but no complaints. It is everything I ever wanted. It beats the Aztek and I didn't think I would ever find a replacement that I would say that about. Gas mileage isn't as good as the Aztek but I beat the EPA estimates. I am getting 20 mpg all around.

skyslider
By yank on 09/19/08 05:25 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

jeep rides great skyslider roof great one problem when closed noise wind start at about 55 gets louder at65 jeep says then are working on something to correct that problem we hope? antenna had to be change water was coming in.

Sky Slider does have wind noise
By Texas Man on 09/10/08 22:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle. I have only owned Toyotas in the past and my wife currently has a RAV4, but I am EXTREMELY impressed with my new Jeep. How can you pass up a Lifetime Powertrain Warranty for free, and a Lifetime Bumper to Bumper warranty for only $2400? I will never buy an over- priced Toyota again! I absolutely love the Sky Slider roof and always drive with it open, but when the roof is closed it does create pretty significant wind noise on the highway when driving 70-75 mph. Overall, I have only experienced minimal wind noise with the Sky Slider closed in the 60-65 mph range!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Jeep Liberty in WA is:

$142 per month*