2008 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
Third Jeep
By Joe on 01/23/09 09:05 AM (PST)

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I like the performance overall, but acceleration from a stop is sluggish. Also lacks 'oomph' passing on upgrades. I do like the 6-spd manual. I like the looks inside and out (vast improvement over 2003-2007). I hate the instrument panel and controls. Those little lights are difficult to see in bright sun. The radio controls are complicated and poorly positioned, including the 'Set' button next to the first station button. Station buttons don't always work correctly. I hate that "Change Oil" message that's based on time and mileage and unrelated to actual oil changes. The vehicle seems rugged enough, but the springs squeak, even when you just get in or out.

Love It #2
By Matt on 01/21/09 13:13 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This is our second Liberty. We gave our 2003 to our son. Only had it two weeks but so far we love it. I'm sure it's faster than the old one and I guarantee it is more comfortable. The transmission shifts a bit weird but I'm getting used to it. The 2003 did feel more rugged for off- road abuse, but for what most people use these for, I'm sure the new one will be just fine.

Slider roof noisy
By ahck123 on 01/19/09 17:31 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Do not buy with slider roof. Purchased vehicle on 1/1/09. During test drive I asked about the roof noise & was told it would be a minor adjustment that could be done the next day. As rebates were expiring that day I purchased the car. The next day they couldn't fix in a day and I would have to leave the vehicle. After a week, the dist mgr, and 2 serv reps drove the car all agreed the noise was excessive. A week later they replaced a part and have declared it fixed. The noise is unchanged. I have paperwork showing that a Chrysler engineer said the repair they were going to do would not fix the problem. Chrysler will not buy the car back and have said it is normal noise.

Amazing Jeep
By Michigangurl on 01/15/09 12:14 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Well this is my very first SUV and my very first brand new vehicle. I had a 2004 Mazda3 and a 1999 Dodge Avenger before this Jeep. I haven't had it long but I absolutely LOVE it. We looked at several different SUV's before purchasing this one and we were definitely happy with this purchase when we drove it home. I have always loved Jeeps and I was definitely happy to finally own one. It doesn't even hesitate to go through the snow we have and I feel so much safer in it. My dad did own the old body style of the Liberty and I definitely love the changes they have made!

hate the skyslider
By steve on 01/11/09 22:54 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I sold my 2000 Cherokee which I loved. I wanted the new Liberty with skyslider roof. Just got it back from the dealership, they put the kit in it to fix wind noise from roof. At speeds below 45 I love the vehicle. On the highway it is so loud. It doesn't leak water or air, but you can't even talk with the passenger in a normal speaking tone. My advice buy something else.

best car in the world
By jordan on 12/30/08 19:55 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Edition 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Love this car it is fun and cool to get in to everyday... I have the sky slider roof and its so much fun. The car begs to be taken on vacation and very comfortable. Only problem is the mpg which is not that bad and driver feet space. Overall the car is great and you can tell Chrysler/Jeep put lots of effort towards designing this car.

Great SUV (especially for $)
By JimM on 12/22/08 09:09 AM (PST)

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned the Liberty for about a month and love it! It is tight in its handling, rides smoothly, is quiet and is an absolute beast in the snow. I got an '08 with $9K off in incentives, total cost 15k and the dealer gave me a $1,000 over book on my '02 Jetta trade. Easily beats a more expensive Toyota or Nissan that would cost $5-6k more. And for what? The build quality and performance are certainly on par with a 4-runner or Pathfinder. So for the total cost of ownership (purchase, insurance and gas cost) this cannot be beaten. Good job Jeep!

Sky Slider
By Lisa on 12/05/08 12:53 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Edition 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

In general, I LOVE my Jeep the one thing I don't like is the Sky Slider. I wish I had just over looked it. Starting about 2 weeks after I got the Jeep, I found the highway wind noise to be unbearable. After 3 dealerships and 4 months, I found some guys that noticed that the weather striping had come up and they replaced it. That has helped the noise a ton but it is still pretty undesirable on the highway. No matter the weather, it seems like roof is just not well designed at all. The cross bars in the sky slider buckle with any amount of wind and sometimes if I attempt to close it while I am driving (even at 30 mph) I am scared the whole thing is just going to fly off.

What's that noise?
By Claudia Patrick on 11/14/08 08:39 AM (PST)

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I've had the Jeep Liberty for about 2 weeks. Before this I had driven a Rodeo. It feels a little more stable than the Rodeo, but the Rodeo had a lot more leg room for both the front and back seats. When you sit in the Liberty, your legs go straight down--you have little room to stretch out your legs, which could be frustrating during a long drive. One of the first things I noticed was that it hardly has a dashboard. I also test-drove the Jeep Patriot, but that was a 4-cylinder and the steering wheel was disturbingly small. Between the Pathfinder and Xterra, the Jeep Liberty feels more like the Pathfinder. The Liberty drives more smoothly than the Xterra.

2008 Liberty
By Roly Oliver on 10/22/08 16:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

We own a 2008 Jeep Liberty and found it to be one great vehicle. Suspension, power-rack & pinion steering, compass, temp are just a few of its attributes. We had a 2005 Liberty. This is heads above that one. We had a holiday into Muskoka and got 22 mpg. I am sure cruise control contributed to it. I must say headlight illumination is poor. One must dive on low beam and fog lamps. Consumer reports gave it a poor rating. They keep comparing it to a Nitro. It's not a Nitro. We like the plastic interior (it's not a touring car) It is easy to keep clean, not cheap. A "chatter" was found in the tail-gate assembly, the only fault. It is very stable on the highway and has good acceleration.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Jeep Liberty Suv in WA is:

$142 per month*