Used 2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Great budget crossover
By bryan

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Don't believe the less than stellar pro reviews, read the reviews by actual owners. It's not flashy, it doesn't try to be. If you're bent on luxury, this isn't it, but it's by no means uncomfortable or ugly. As far as crossovers go the mileage doesn't compare to the subarus or other japanese models, but this one will take you much farther into the woods than they will. It's not a full on SUV like a wrangler, but it's very capable in lighter duty applications where the rocks, mud, and water are less severe. This is so far the best vehicle I have ever driven on snowy, icy roads, and I drive big macho F-350 and 550 trucks all day. AWD (with a lock option) is far superior to 4WD on snowy roads.

Driving snowy, icy roads is a non issue, dare I say almost boring (the all terrain tires are a big help here). Great for lighter duty off road. Overall mpg with AWD is consistent 21 winter and 23 summer.

If the mpg could match the Japanese models that would be even better. Sometimes the power and throttle response are just adequate, but it's a 4 cylinder, it's no muscle car, it's not why I bought it. Hey jeep, how about a hybrid option for the liberty? Now we're talking!

Sky slider from h*ll
By CDigby

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Edition 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Jeep Liberty Dec. 2007 when sky slider had had just come out and I knew I had to have one! Only one on the lot was fully loaded and I paid almost $35k. Since I bought it I've brought it to the dealership at least 7 times for problems with the Sky Slider LEAKING! Each time they say they don't know why its doing that and each time they tell me its fixed when I leave but now I'm continuing to have problems with it leaking! Now that it has permanently ruined my interior roof cloth I am going to pursue Chrysler to take this nightmare of a car back because this was the biggest waste of money to have to worry every time it rains how wet the interior will get!

I love the outside body style! Real sharp looking. Driver and Passenger seats are very comfortable!

Fix the problems with the sky slider or stop making them!

Good, But Not Great
By Samuel

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Our 2008 Liberty Limited is our second Liberty. We traded in a 2003 Liberty Sport that we drove for 5 years and 50,000 miles without a single problem. We wanted a fully loaded Liberty and the end of year rebates plus lifetime powertrain warranty were too tempting to resist. The 2008 feels a little more "grownup" than our '03 and although it has the same engine does not feel as quick. The mileage, never particularly good on our '03, is even worse on the '08. It has been to the shop for minor things such as a 4WD warning light that wouldn't go off, a defective bow that caused a wind leak on the Skyslider top, and a hood prop rod that came off in my hand.

Skyslider roof is great on sunny days. MyGig entertainment system with navigation gives the driver a lot of listening alternatives. Winter traction with SelecTrac 2 is second to none.

Fuel mileage could stand some improvement. Quality control is not as good as on my '03 Liberty although I've only had minor problems so far.

Great milage
By Dan Jurewicz

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I get approx 15 mph in Chicago, But I get 23 to 24 (best I got was 24.6) on highway

More comfort in the front seats

Great Vehicle
By jj

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I was really apprehensive about buying a Jeep but looking at the Liberty with its features and price I decided to take the chance. Bought the 08 Liberty Sport 4x4 slightly used (2700 miles) and couldn't be happier. It was great on the snow this winter. Drove it 1700 miles cross-country. Comfortable drive even at 80 mph plus. Drove it off road on some of Arizona's most challenging roads. It performed well in all instances. No comments on reliability yet (still only have 6700 miles on it). But so far so good.

Fold flat front seat. Cargo cover. Easy conversion to full 4x4.

Fuel economy.