2008 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
Pleased
By Rick on 03/26/09 13:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I are very pleased with this Liberty Limited. It has all the options including sun roof. The MyGig Infotainment w/Nav and the Sirius system make this fun to drive. Evic lets you check tire pressures to keep them equal, which is important with an SUV. The chrome on the exterior makes the Black look sharp. It's not to big and handles and rides beautifully. We are very glad to own it. It will be one year old next month. A vehicle without MyGig Gps, siruis etc. and Evic sure would be dull.

Great New Liberty
By JeepinMatt on 03/25/09 07:36 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I grew up with a Cherokee and wanted another Jeep for myself. We still have the Cherokee with almost 130,000 miles. This 08 Liberty is my first truck - a great 4WD, go anywhere vehicle. Already have over 3000 on it. Was great in the snow this past winter - looking forward to taking it out west this summer.

love my Jeep
By G. Carter on 03/22/09 07:24 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I've had the Liberty for 1200 miles and so far really like it. We've had 3 major snowstorms in Maine recently and the Jeep performed as though there was no snow on the roads. It's comfortable, handles nicely and forward visibility is great. I like that Jeep has removed the spare tire from the rear door which opens vertically with a pop up window. There's plenty of space for storage when you fold down the rear seats and with my model the right front seat also folds flat for longer items. All in all it's a great vehicle especially with all the incentives and financing available.

Not everyone lives in the city.
By retired engineer on 03/17/09 19:18 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

We needed a rugged vehicle to negotiate the gravel road and creek crossing into our place in the Ouachita Mountains. Also needed it to pull our 3500# 17' Casita travel trailer. With its 5000# tow rating, this Jeep Liberty Sport more than fills the bill on all counts. My wife, the primary driver of this vehicle, selected the Liberty Sport. She did well! Fuel mileage can't be compared to a RAV-4, but the Jeep will do things the Rav-4 wouldn't dream of. But,we got 22 MPG on the first tank of mixed city/highway and that ain't bad for a 3.7 L V-6 engine with automatic tranny. After 5 weeks and 2310 miles, we couldn't be happier with this car. It's our first Jeep product.

08 Liberty Limited
By silverado on 03/07/09 14:08 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Like the looks of it. Traded in a Honda Element for it, but not sure if it was such a good trade. Has been in the shop a number of times for numerous things: leaking back window, ticking steering wheel when turning it sharply, leaking skyslider roof, noisy skyslider roof, brake issues, transmission issues. If I had known all of this would not have traded in my Element....regret it. Will more than likely go back to an Element again soon.

Still loving my Jeep
By C.SIMS on 02/28/09 07:57 AM (PST)

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my liberty back in oct 2007 as a brand new suv. I did a review of how much I loved it then, but we all know the true test is within that 1st year. Well I can tell you I still love it. It still drives well, it's still rugged and it still looks sharp. I keep it shiny. It's still a head Turner.

Its a Jeep thing: Most don't understand
By motordude on 02/20/09 12:35 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

First of all, this is the best vehicle I have owned and my 7th Jeep. Some vehicles just "fit" and some don't. This really fits well. The engineers did well with seat comfort, equalizing armrest height and control placement to make for a great experience. The best news: It looks like a Jeep, it drives like a Jeep and it feels like a Jeep, not a Lexus and fortunately not Toyota. I love the Skyslider, mine is quiet because they performed the TSB and installed a new bow. The ESP is amazing. I live in snow country in western New York and I rarely use the 4WD since ESP and all-speed traction control are so effective. I hope the Jeep brand and feel aren't diluted in the future.

Liberty Limited
By Thor on 02/10/09 17:14 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Compared to other small Utes, the Liberty Limited has them beat. Little things, such as: Memory Seating, easy exit, remote start. Put this rig above the rest. The V-6 is lack-luster and it doesn't get great mileage in town, but I got 23 MPG on a 2000 mile trip. The seats are very comfortable and even though the foot wells seem crowded, there is plenty of room and I'm a big Norwegian. I had a 4x4 Escape before and thought that was a great car, but the features, such as: 4 wheel disk brakes and real 4x4 put he Escape to shame. The Jeep didn't even cost any more than the Ford. It rides well and runs great. Looks good too!

I'm a convert!
By Snow Gal on 01/26/09 08:20 AM (PST)

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I live in a small town in Alaska where owning the right vehicle is a life or death matter. You don't want to lose it on some desolate highway, stuck in a snowbank, waiting for someone to drive by while your breath forms sheets of ice on the inside of the windows. Been there! I have driven this Liberty in the nastiest weather and it handles like it was made for snow. I recommend the Selec-Trac 4 wheel drive system over the optional Command-Trac, which is more like AWD with a 4 low option. Whether there's 6 inches of fresh snow on the road, slush, ice, or I'm just bouncing down the trail to my favorite fishing hole, this Jeep was made for Alaska!

Very Poor Defrost capability
By SC on 01/25/09 16:51 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Because I have 250,000 on my 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport I bought another Jeep. I am disappointed about the defrost capabilities of this. The dashboard defrost only goes to the middle of the windshield leaving both the ends of the windshield hard to get and keep clear. When the semis pass you on snowing roads, keeping the windshield clear is essential. I drive 45,000+ each year and in the sub-zero temps in December, I was on the interstate with semis passing, because of the inferior defrost system, it was impossible to see. I actually had to pull over and scrape ice off the windshield. I am not an expert but I think the dashboard should be recalled. I had someone else drive it and he agreed.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Jeep Liberty Suv in NJ is:

$195 per month*