Used 2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Jeep Liberty '08 and going strong!
By Diane K

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Every day I get into my 2008 Jeep Liberty and it's like a new SUV to me. I love the interior layout- easy to use iPod and sound system. Did not get GPS-- don't need it, so other features are housed there. Fabulous off road- after I upgraded the tires to the Firestone, Destination A/Ts. Now I have a lot more confidence. Use this for trailering, skiing, dog and vacationing- LOVE IT! Didn't listen to reviews- and glad I got it. It's been really fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Quick release seats that slide back when dressed up- easy exit. Huge sunroof (instead of Skyslider) and like the lift gate window release. Love the outlet- to charge phone and laptop and the laptop desk in the back of the passenger's seat.

Suggested Improvements

Button in dash for back window in tailgate to release. Replace stock tires ASAP- very slippery and not for off roading.

Flaking paint on door console
By Jeep Fan

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I had to have both door panel console parts that house the window controls replaced. They were actually peeling. My passenger window power switch has been replaced and I am hoping nothing else goes wrong. A sharp looking vehicle. My 2nd jeep - first was the redesigned Cherokee Limited

Favorite Features

Lots of room, flat folding rear seats, good visibility from drivers seat

Suggested Improvements

You gotta fix the power issues with the windows

Tough and Fun
By Sherri

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have taken this on really bad roads from sea level to over 8,000 feet in the same day. Been crawling over rocks. Used every off road feature and always came through. Wish it had better mpg, but this baby is tough, yet plenty fast with good braking. Had to ditch the Goodyears that came with it...had Discount Tire boost me up one size and I put on Yokohamas for an instant and huge improvement in handling, ride quality and quietness. JEEP needs to discontinue the Goodyears..I had to replace 3 of them within months. Thankfully, Discount Tire treated my prior two purchases as if I was coming in to buy only 2 more...not the 4 Yokos I was buying. So JEEP...great vehicle, but needs better tires.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive. Hill descent control.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better tires. More powerful stereo would be nice. Oh, yes, the headlights are completely inadequate. Upgrade to the Slyvanias...they only cost me 25.50 so how much can they cost JEEP?????

Crappy Skyslider
By NB

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I feel that the Liberty fits a niche between the cute small sport utes and the more expensive larger SUVs. It's kind of in a class by itself. Though I think usually classified with Rav-4, Escape, etc. Compared to them really only 1 choice if you want to ever haul anything or cruise down a trial in the backwoods. Wish they called it the Cherokee again. I'm somewhat of a redneck, but work downtown everyday in IT. This Jeep does great for both downtown tight driving/parking and also off road. HUGE HUGE complaint is the skyslider. Horribly designed. Broke immediately and Jeep won't stand behind it. I'm considering Lemon Law. It's been in dealership over 10 times for same problem.

Favorite Features

Off road and bad weather capabilities (great in deep snow), Lifetime warranty, Skid plate group with tow hooks, rear AC outlet (great for laptop when traveling for work), tow rating, lots of features that are usually only available on higher priced SUVs, front seat fold flat, rear seat decline.

Suggested Improvements

Wish you could completely turn off the traction control. Even in the "completely off" setting it will still kick in if the tires spin too much. Not good for climbing the sand hills at Silver Lake Sand Dunes. Skyslider seems like it will fly right off the roof at most times. Very poor engineering.

Love my Liberty
By Dennis Williams

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Edition 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned 3 other jeeps in the passed 15 years. I rank this jeep as the best yet. I really enjoy driving this car and I was pleasantly surprised with the fuel economy. I average 22.8 mpg on the highway and 19.5 in town. The only thing that I would change about this car is the shocks. The ride is a little stiff for a top of the line vehicle and would be better served if they were not so stiff

Favorite Features

Interior. The interior is well thought out with plenty of room for 4 adults. The interior finishes are top of the line The nav system works flawlessly.

Suggested Improvements

Six way power passenger seat,running boards, more power ports.