Used 2008 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

2008 Liberty
By Roly Oliver

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

We own a 2008 Jeep Liberty and found it to be one great vehicle. Suspension, power-rack & pinion steering, compass, temp are just a few of its attributes. We had a 2005 Liberty. This is heads above that one. We had a holiday into Muskoka and got 22 mpg. I am sure cruise control contributed to it. I must say headlight illumination is poor. One must dive on low beam and fog lamps. Consumer reports gave it a poor rating. They keep comparing it to a Nitro. It's not a Nitro. We like the plastic interior (it's not a touring car) It is easy to keep clean, not cheap. A "chatter" was found in the tail-gate assembly, the only fault. It is very stable on the highway and has good acceleration.

Favorite Features

Cruise, Compass, temp, tail-gate & spare underneath, stability control, abs, curtain airbags.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage of course, but at 22 mpg on the hwy I cannot complain.Better headlamps.

Expected a little more
By Liberty Limited

2008 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have very mixed feelings with my Jeep. Aesthetically it looks nice inside and out yet once you begin to familiarize yourself with the SUV you begin to notice the abundance of plastic both inside and out. Cheap plastic that scratches easily. The MPG sticker says 20 mpg on the hwy. True if you reset the gauge doing 55 mph on a flat low wind hwy. 16-17 mpg combined city/hwy is realistic. The drive train should have been updated with the rest of the Jeep. Same drivetrain as in the previous version/yrs. Normally this would be a good thing however the additional 200-300 lbs that the vehicle gained with the remodel has made it lethargic from a stop and forcing the trans to constantly look for a gear.

Favorite Features

Easy read display on Nav. Satellite Radio. It is easy to drive. Instrument panel is big, easy to read yet not obtrusive. Controls are logically placed. 4wd works well in snow. Remote start works well. Memory features are nice, when my key is recognized the seats adjust as do the mirrors, even radio

Suggested Improvements

Put a some hydraulic hinges on the hood. Heavy hood. By the way, changing the oil is a nightmare. Because of the position of the filter and drain plug there is no clean way to do it. More foot room. Foot well is "SMALL". Needs more torque/HP under the hood and definitely need another gear in the tranny.

Liberty is under rated
By Dan

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

It appears that the Liberty is under rated by most review sites and is a very good vehicle if it meets your needs. I drive dirt roads almost daily and not all vehicles can take that pounding. The car is functional, rides comfortable and can handle the back roads. Made sure to get the all terrain tires (all of the vehicles at dealerships were 4x4 but only a few dealerships had the all terrain tires) and the Jeep green color is nice as well. Ample storage space inside and fun to drive as well. Although gas mileage is below average the vehicles are selling well below the competition and that more than makes up the difference. Only down side appears to be a little too much wind noise.

Favorite Features

Off road ability but perfect for regular driving as well. Jeep green color. All terrain tire option with full size spare.

Suggested Improvements

Reduce wind noise and improve gas mileage. Put spare tire back on the back door to increase storage space in the back. Many components on the underbody are coated for rust protection but some are not. Had to require dealership to replace front struts before buying due to rust. Coated myself.

made in Toledo Ohio
By Rob

2008 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Jeep is a great make. This is my fourth; had '94 and '96 Cherokees and a '98 Grand. My 2008 Ltd Liberty is the best. Driving position is excellent. Interior/exterior design is superb. Daily commute mpg is 19-20 mpg. Steering was a bit over-responsive at first, but I like it after 2000 miles. Get the cargo area plastic tray from Mopar; fits perfectly and it can be easily removed to shake out dirt/mulch. Braking is sure and even. Outside mirrors are overlarge - great for backing-up. Recommend the sun-roof, no problems with leaking in car washes. Sound system is best I ever owned. Get inferno-red, looks great! Transmission can be a bit growly when accelerating uphill, must be the gearing.

Favorite Features

It's a Jeep thing - I am 56 and its been a very long time since I looked forward to commuting. Yeah I know that there are better mpg, but if I ever need to get the heck out of Dodge because of a hurricane or earthquake, I'd rather trust my Jeep than some glitzy foreign SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Get Car and Driver magazine to re-review the Liberty. They hated this great vehicle and I never considered buying it until I test-drove it. Sometimes I wonder if those writers understand Jeeps. Its not all about mpg, style and comfort, its about getting there and back when it ain't on the map.

For The Love Of Liberty
By Robert Simmons

2008 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

After two Ford Explorer Limiteds that let me down big time, it was time to change, so I looked at X-terra, Toyota, and Jeep. Loved the new squared off styling on the Jeep Limited with the full size tire now underneath. The ride and comfort for my 6'1" frame has been superb with plenty of leg room and the handling has been great, plus it's quiet. The interior layout is ergonomically fantastic and well planned. The MYGIG radio system with Infinity speakers is the best sound system I have had in a vehicle and bluetooth phone connects are effortless plus the navigation system always guides me home correctly. I am so happy with this vehicle that I bought another one to keep at a 2nd home.

Favorite Features

Instrumentation and displays. Quiet, peppy engine with acceleration when you need it. MYGIG radio/phone/navigation system is great! Seat fits me well with no low back pain and arm rests are just at the right levels. Excellent programmable electronics with controls on steering wheel. Ext. design.

Suggested Improvements

Slightly better gas mileage would be nice. Maybe one more lighter port for recharging cellphone and Ipod at the same time but, hey, ya can't have everything, and this vehicle has almost everything I need and then some.