Used 2008 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

hate the skyslider
By steve

2008 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I sold my 2000 Cherokee which I loved. I wanted the new Liberty with skyslider roof. Just got it back from the dealership, they put the kit in it to fix wind noise from roof. At speeds below 45 I love the vehicle. On the highway it is so loud. It doesn't leak water or air, but you can't even talk with the passenger in a normal speaking tone. My advice buy something else.

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate the noisy skyslider

best car in the world
By jordan

2008 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Love this car it is fun and cool to get in to everyday... I have the sky slider roof and its so much fun. The car begs to be taken on vacation and very comfortable. Only problem is the mpg which is not that bad and driver feet space. Overall the car is great and you can tell Chrysler/Jeep put lots of effort towards designing this car.

Favorite Features

skyslider, my gig navigation, parking sensors, auto engine start without getting in to the car, great leather seating

Suggested Improvements

Mpg has to be improved and driver feet space it can get a little uncomfortable. Great car no matter what you have to get the sky slider

Great SUV (especially for $)
By JimM

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned the Liberty for about a month and love it! It is tight in its handling, rides smoothly, is quiet and is an absolute beast in the snow. I got an '08 with $9K off in incentives, total cost 15k and the dealer gave me a $1,000 over book on my '02 Jetta trade. Easily beats a more expensive Toyota or Nissan that would cost $5-6k more. And for what? The build quality and performance are certainly on par with a 4-runner or Pathfinder. So for the total cost of ownership (purchase, insurance and gas cost) this cannot be beaten. Good job Jeep!

Favorite Features

Ride and build quality

Suggested Improvements

Keep lowering the gas mileage. What about a turbo-charged 4 cyl.?

Sky Slider
By Lisa

2008 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

In general, I LOVE my Jeep the one thing I don't like is the Sky Slider. I wish I had just over looked it. Starting about 2 weeks after I got the Jeep, I found the highway wind noise to be unbearable. After 3 dealerships and 4 months, I found some guys that noticed that the weather striping had come up and they replaced it. That has helped the noise a ton but it is still pretty undesirable on the highway. No matter the weather, it seems like roof is just not well designed at all. The cross bars in the sky slider buckle with any amount of wind and sometimes if I attempt to close it while I am driving (even at 30 mph) I am scared the whole thing is just going to fly off.

Favorite Features

Love the MYGIG system, comfort, style, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously, fix the wind noise and Sky Slider. It makes me want to return the Jeep and buy something else. I would suggest that everyone with similar problems reports them to Jeep as often and as much as possible. I am praying for a recall that will fix what I was assured would never happen.

What's that noise?
By Claudia Patrick

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I've had the Jeep Liberty for about 2 weeks. Before this I had driven a Rodeo. It feels a little more stable than the Rodeo, but the Rodeo had a lot more leg room for both the front and back seats. When you sit in the Liberty, your legs go straight down--you have little room to stretch out your legs, which could be frustrating during a long drive. One of the first things I noticed was that it hardly has a dashboard. I also test-drove the Jeep Patriot, but that was a 4-cylinder and the steering wheel was disturbingly small. Between the Pathfinder and Xterra, the Jeep Liberty feels more like the Pathfinder. The Liberty drives more smoothly than the Xterra.

Favorite Features

It has a nice outer look. I'm really not bothered by the plastic inside. It has plenty of space in the back as well as a hidden compartment. I like that the spare is placed underneath as opposed to on the back of the vehicle. I also like that the back seat can be folded down in sections.

Suggested Improvements

At around 55-60 mph, there is so much wind noise it feels like I'm taking off in an airplane. The mpg is quite low. I'm used to having plenty of leg room and the Liberty doesn't. For such a large vehicle you'd think there would be more space for the people riding in it.