Used 2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

too many electrical issues!
By krystal

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Edition 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

the motor in the driver window gives out. I think I had it for about 2.5 years. then shortly after, there's a short in the rear window wiper. just starts wiping on it's own. I didn't turn it on and it wont turn off! I would have to pull over and turn off the car and turn it back on a few times hoping to get it to stop. then in late 2015 the cruise control, radio and all the door locks except the driver door stopped working! (including the hatch! can't open the hatch!) I cared for the car as well as I could. regular oil changes and maintenance. full tune up at 4 years. it was never taken off roading. used it to get to work and to home.

Jeep Jeep!
By KT

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

PROS: The '08 redesign was MUCH needed. VERY comfortable and fun to drive. Feels solid like a tank on the highway. Suspension is remarkable. TONS of storage room, compartments for all your shtuff, the radio sounds like a dream, feels powerful and strong yet safe like an American vehicle should!

CONS: Gas mileage isn't very good, but it has a very big gas tank so you don't need to refill as often. Also not very good at making quick sharp turns, feels like it's gonna flip.

Solid as a rock
By E.Roberts

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I would like to say that we have owned our jeep for six years. We bought it with only 30,000 miles and it now has 112,000. We had to replace the heater core about 8 months ago, but this is about it. My wife travels a lot, and has not had any issues at all. This vehicle, has been a great purchase for us. I will say that the interior colors aren't the greatest because the seats are stained and will not come out. Other than that, no problems.

2008 Jeep Libert = My THIRD JEEEP
By Richard Harrison

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I read a lot of these reviews and find that some people should write on their maintenance reliability. If you take care of the vehicle as stated in the Manual, most Vehicles will go well beyond their manufactures warranties. My first 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, had 135,000 miles on it when I got it. I sold it with 280,000 miles on it. My 2nd 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee I still own and it's got 336,000 on it. This Jeep Liberty was very SUPRISING comfortable. Slips in 2 wheel drive too easily on wet pavement. However switch to 4x4 and no issues. Mileage I would have figured would have been better then my 96 Jeep but it was about the same.

Worst vehicle I've ever owned
By John

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Don't buy this car. There are too many quality cars available today to waste your time and money on this piece of garbage. The engine and 6 speed manual transmission are pretty reliable, although poorly suited to the car. The engine is not powerful enough, has a microscopic power band, and the ratios are just too long. Below 3000 rpm there's no acceration, and above 4000 rpm it's only good for turning gas into noise.

While the powertrain has been reliable, literally every other thing jeep attached to it has not been. 4wd has failed twice for electronics, wiper switches, window switches, door lock switches, airbag sensor, door sensors, gas tank won't fill (replaced twice), shift boot falls apart, seat trim falls apart, spare tire doesn't stay tight and knocks around, wheels seem designed to deliver pebbles to the brake pads, brake pads cannot be secured and rattle constantly, car won't restart when warm, exhaust flex joint cannot be secured and periodically disconnects, entire interior vent system had to be replaced when an internal seal melted and jammed the actuators, multiple hvac fans have failed (noisily), and the list goes on. And on...

I bought this car new with the lifetime powertrain warranty and lifetime maxcare. Even at $50 per work order and paying $35-$50/day for rental cars while the jeep is in service, it cost me $2000 this year to maintain this POS.

I just dumped the thing yesterday... I'd kept it for so long because I knew the warranty would protect me when something major failed... but eventually it bacame clear that the major expenses were not likely to fail, and the car was milking me dry, a few hundred dollars at a times. At one point this year, I had the car in for repair for three different unrelated issues in one week. Each time I picked it up, I couldn't even make it back to the house before something else crapped out. Another time it was in for service for two consecutive weeks, brought it home, and had something else fail the very next day.

To wrap this up - do yourself a favor and don't buy this car.