Used 2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews - 124 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Solid as a rock
By E.Roberts

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I would like to say that we have owned our jeep for six years. We bought it with only 30,000 miles and it now has 112,000. We had to replace the heater core about 8 months ago, but this is about it. My wife travels a lot, and has not had any issues at all. This vehicle, has been a great purchase for us. I will say that the interior colors aren't the greatest because the seats are stained and will not come out. Other than that, no problems.

2008 Jeep Libert = My THIRD JEEEP
By Richard Harrison

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I read a lot of these reviews and find that some people should write on their maintenance reliability. If you take care of the vehicle as stated in the Manual, most Vehicles will go well beyond their manufactures warranties. My first 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, had 135,000 miles on it when I got it. I sold it with 280,000 miles on it. My 2nd 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee I still own and it's got 336,000 on it. This Jeep Liberty was very SUPRISING comfortable. Slips in 2 wheel drive too easily on wet pavement. However switch to 4x4 and no issues. Mileage I would have figured would have been better then my 96 Jeep but it was about the same.

Worst vehicle I've ever owned
By John

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Don't buy this car. There are too many quality cars available today to waste your time and money on this piece of garbage. The engine and 6 speed manual transmission are pretty reliable, although poorly suited to the car. The engine is not powerful enough, has a microscopic power band, and the ratios are just too long. Below 3000 rpm there's no acceration, and above 4000 rpm it's only good for turning gas into noise.

While the powertrain has been reliable, literally every other thing jeep attached to it has not been. 4wd has failed twice for electronics, wiper switches, window switches, door lock switches, airbag sensor, door sensors, gas tank won't fill (replaced twice), shift boot falls apart, seat trim falls apart, spare tire doesn't stay tight and knocks around, wheels seem designed to deliver pebbles to the brake pads, brake pads cannot be secured and rattle constantly, car won't restart when warm, exhaust flex joint cannot be secured and periodically disconnects, entire interior vent system had to be replaced when an internal seal melted and jammed the actuators, multiple hvac fans have failed (noisily), and the list goes on. And on...

I bought this car new with the lifetime powertrain warranty and lifetime maxcare. Even at $50 per work order and paying $35-$50/day for rental cars while the jeep is in service, it cost me $2000 this year to maintain this POS.

I just dumped the thing yesterday... I'd kept it for so long because I knew the warranty would protect me when something major failed... but eventually it bacame clear that the major expenses were not likely to fail, and the car was milking me dry, a few hundred dollars at a times. At one point this year, I had the car in for repair for three different unrelated issues in one week. Each time I picked it up, I couldn't even make it back to the house before something else crapped out. Another time it was in for service for two consecutive weeks, brought it home, and had something else fail the very next day.

To wrap this up - do yourself a favor and don't buy this car.

360,000kms
By dsantin

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Still going strong 360,000 kms. Live in heavy snow belt, rusty Ontario- rural. 4x4 excellent-- never stuck- plenty of confidence in snow and mud. Have used in mud, lagoons, ditches, snowy farmer fields, towing, fording water-- works well. Unexpected good manners and ride on highway. MPG fair. Roomy versatile interior. Starts/ runs very well-- NO RUST? Did not get skyroof-- you guys that got it and have problems- shame- This was a first year North American redesign-- anticipate problems with gimmicks. Some little things-- blower gone at 300,000- so what! Rear liftgate hinge thing- broke but found replacement at junkers for $400. Differential rear troubles after 180k but now is good. Lots little things beyond 200k but that's not an issue as it owes me nothing. Heating is disappointing. Overall, I can depend on it and I need all of its features as winter is brutal here.

The worst vehicle I have ever seen, bar none.
By sal42

2008 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Edition 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought it new in 2008 and it was the worse mistake my family ever made on cars, EVER. On the test drive the dashboard was literally coming out and you could see the wires and tubing under the dash. I pleaded with my father to not buy it, yet he was swayed by the exterior styling. During 3 years of horror (aka vehicle ownership), 3 of the window motors broke leaving the windows stuck in place, the plastics/materials are horrendous and the dashboard popped out twice. Besides that the seats were the most uncomfortable I have ever sat in, like sitting on concrete!!!!! The car is crampt, and the MPG figures are A LIE!!! The car barely got 10 MPG in the city, and maybe 16 or so freeway.

Although it was by far and away a total junk and a perfect example of why Chrysler went bankrupt, it actually could turn on a dime. Don't ask me why the turning radius was so good and nothing else, but it could make U-turns like nothing!

They should have never built this car, it really is that poorly designed and built. It really shows you why Chrysler went bankrupt. When you see cars this bad you feel like crying. If parts pop out on the test drive on a brand new car, you know it's bad. MPG figures given are a lie, the real MPG for the 3.7L 2WD is about 10 city/16 freeway, and that is no exaggeration. The car is a GAS HOG!!!!! And it's not a very big vehicle either, just goes to show you how Chrysler can't design an efficient and powerful engine if their lives depended on it. In general all Chrysler engines from that era were gas hogs and underperformed for their displacement. Dismal engineering.