2008 Jeep Liberty Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2008 Liberty Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Sort Reviews by

310,000kms
By dsantin

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Still going strong 310,000 kms. Live in heavy snow belt, rusty Ontario- rural. 4x4 excellent-- never stuck- plenty of confidence in snow and mud. Have used in mud, lagoons, ditches, snowy farmer fields, towing, fording water-- works well. Unexpected good manners and ride on highway. MPG fair. Roomy versatile interior. Starts/ runs very well-- NO RUST? Did not get skyroof-- you guys that got it and have problems- shame- This was a first year North American redesign-- ant1icipate problems with gimmicks. Some little things-- blower gone at 300,000- so what! Rear liftgate hinge thing- broke but found replacement at junkers for $400. Differential rear troubles after 180k

Favorite Features

Both off road and highway manners. Smooth engine. Good looks. Rust free- very unusual here! Great in deep snow. Towing, Large storage area. High driver position. Rescued a few drivers in snow banks. Fog lites.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior materials, better heater / defroster. The differential problems--- a macho Jeep-- come on Chrysler!!

I love my Jeep but there are a few character flaws
By drivenlp

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I actually built my Liberty up with a 3 inch lift kit, skid plates etc. and I believe it improved the exterior stance of the vehicle. Jeeps can get through anything (with the right tires, I highly recommend the BFGoodrich All Terrains) The interior is comfortable and there is A LOT of neat storage spaces, fold flat seats including the passenger seat. I have not had one mechanical problem. Very tight turning radius. What I dont like: I bought the skyslider and it is awesome for going to the beach etc, but it leaks water into my headliner which is now stained and starting to smell. Also this causes quite a bit of wind noise. I believe they fixed in 2009 a bit.

Favorite Features

-Well thought out interior storage spaces. -4 wheel drive is unparalleled. -tight turning radius makes off roading and parking lot maneuvering a breeze!

Suggested Improvements

Sky Slider roof was rushed to market. I love the feature but practicality for everyday does not work. I have had several people look at it, as well as numerous tests on it, and no one can tell where it is leaking into my headliner from. My entire headliner is now water-stained and if left in the sun it begins to smell musty. Wind noise at 70+ gets quite loud and whistles. (again the skyslider).

Loved Jeeps until I needed a replacement part!!!
By kareneileen

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I'm on my second jeep. Loved jeep and referred people to buy jeeps...but last week my 2008 Jeep had issues and needed to be towed. I has been 7 days and the jeep is STILL at the garage and the part is STILL on a national backorder list with no expected date in site! The National Chrysler/Jeep 800# has been absolutely no help...no timeframe, no help getting a rental car, NOTHING! So, I guess the new motto with jeep is that as soon as you buy their product, the hell with you! You are on your own! So, I guess I'm stuck making monthly payments on a vehicle that is sitting unusable at a garage! I am disgusted at the treatment I have been given by the Jeep Dealership/Jeep Garage and 800#.

Favorite Features

Loved it until I had to wait for a part that is apparently on a national backlog list. I'm at day #7 right now and can't even get an estimated date as to when the part will be available...and the vehicle is not able to be driven until it is fixed.

Suggested Improvements

Be able to back up the product you are putting out there!! I'm disgusted that I have bought a product that apparently cannot be fixed in a reasonable amount of time. It is not some rare vehicle, it is simply a 2008 Jeep Liberty. I cannot understand why this seems to be such a major issue or such a major back log! There are jeep liberties all over the place, why are there not parts available to fix them??? Very, very poor customer service at the national 800# and no help whatsoever to get a rental vehicle while waiting for jeep to get me a part! No end in site at this point for this MISERABLE situation!..and this may be my last chrysler/jeep product!

Flaking paint on door console
By Jeep Fan

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I had to have both door panel console parts that house the window controls replaced. They were actually peeling. My passenger window power switch has been replaced and I am hoping nothing else goes wrong. A sharp looking vehicle. My 2nd jeep - first was the redesigned Cherokee Limited

Favorite Features

Lots of room, flat folding rear seats, good visibility from drivers seat

Suggested Improvements

You gotta fix the power issues with the windows

Skyslide Help
By Scott Garmon

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this truck for long business travel and the awesome skyslide top. I love my Jeep. However, the wind noise is unbearable. It now "whistles" at 20mph. If your looking to buy wait for the next generation of the Skyslide roof. I love Jeep and would love to see this fixed soon.

Favorite Features

Skyslide Top!!!

Suggested Improvements

Skyslide Top!!!

Tough look but practical car
By J

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car for my wife. After looking at mom mobiles this one stood out as a much cooler ride that fit our needs of towing capacity, safety, and styling. She like that it was not too big and I like that it doesn't look like a space ship. The ride is much better than previous jeeps on the road and road noise is almost nil. The back seats have plenty of room and the roof rack is great for overflow luggage. Also discovered recently that the back seats recline which is a huge benefit since most SUVs this size make you feel like you are sitting in a church pew.

Favorite Features

Seats are very comfortable, standard stereo with 6 speakers is great, utility tray in back

Suggested Improvements

Blue tooth link in stereo, automatic headlamps, front passenger handle above door,hooks on tailgate for grocery bags

FAILS OFF ROAD
By Jack Kavanaugh

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

The "Trail Rated" designation for this vehicle is a joke. This vehicle is fine; in fact very good, on pavement but a complete dud off road. The Sky Slider roof is noisy at highway speeds but the dealer tells me that that can be fixed. There is no way to fix the off road performance even with lifters. The ground clearance is just inadequate; a moderate two track ranch road results in intolerable high centering. Jeep trails are out of the question.

Favorite Features

Nice interior finishes. Good paved road handling. Good high torque in low ranged performance on steep grades.

Suggested Improvements

It needs much higher ground clearance.

Great Vehicle
By D Ackerman

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

We love out Jeep Liberty. This SUV is so practical and fun to drive. It meets all our needs, fits great in the garage, has not had any problems and looks great. We are very happy with it. Would get another one.

Favorite Features

The way it drives and handles.

Suggested Improvements

Could get better gas mileage, but still better than a lot of other vehicles of this type.

Not everyone lives in the city.
By retired engineer

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

We needed a rugged vehicle to negotiate the gravel road and creek crossing into our place in the Ouachita Mountains. Also needed it to pull our 3500# 17' Casita travel trailer. With its 5000# tow rating, this Jeep Liberty Sport more than fills the bill on all counts. My wife, the primary driver of this vehicle, selected the Liberty Sport. She did well! Fuel mileage can't be compared to a RAV-4, but the Jeep will do things the Rav-4 wouldn't dream of. But,we got 22 MPG on the first tank of mixed city/highway and that ain't bad for a 3.7 L V-6 engine with automatic tranny. After 5 weeks and 2310 miles, we couldn't be happier with this car. It's our first Jeep product.

Favorite Features

1. Seat comfort. 2. Sliding glass sunroof. 3. Power!!! 4. Interior quality. 5. Fit/finish of entire vehicle. 6. Good ground clearance, entry/departure angles. 7. Space when seats are folded. 8. Hatchback design. 9. Spare tire placement. 10. Reasonable fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the cruise control location. Though quirky, it works well "as is" when one becomes accustomed to it. Not a real "biggie."

Still loving my Jeep
By C.SIMS

2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my liberty back in oct 2007 as a brand new suv. I did a review of how much I loved it then, but we all know the true test is within that 1st year. Well I can tell you I still love it. It still drives well, it's still rugged and it still looks sharp. I keep it shiny. It's still a head Turner.

Favorite Features

The high sitting position, the sunroof,easy to get in and out of,the dealership does the oil changes quickly,the styling of it...etc.

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage,and a more powerful engine. I make sure I have the truck at a nice speed before trying to pass someone-if you don't-the horsepower is not strong enough to do it quickly.