IMO Best Compact 4x4 on the market
By jbusc on
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)
This is my third Liberty Limited all equipped with the 3.7 V6, automatic transmission and select-trac 4WD system. This Liberty is also equipped with factory navigation and a 6 disc CD changer. In my opinion the Liberty at least the 2002-2007 models are the most rugged compact SUVs available. Mine gets reasonable mpg's - 18+ overall and low to mid 20's highway. Much better than any of my Wranglers did. I find it very comfortable, and it meets my needs of a growing family perfectly. I find the styling attractive both inside and out. I love the heated leather seats and thoughtful touches such as the rear grocery bag hooks.
Favorite Features
The factory Infinity stereo system is superb. Practically instant heat (warms very qiuckly) in cold weather, great ice-cold AC in hot weather. The selec-trac 4WD gets through any New England snow storm I have faced (and I've found myself out in many without a worry). I find the selec-trac much more sure-footed than the command-trac that all 3 of my Wranglers were equipped with (although the Wranglers are very fun vehicles, just not as practical for a family). The factory navigation is a plus, and as mentioned I love the grocery bag hooks in the rear. Enjoy the sunroof too.
Suggested Improvements
Since all of my Libertys have been very reliable & trouble-free I can't think of anything personally. However reading about all those who have had issues with window regulators, I would say Jeep should recall & replace them with more durable regulators. (I hope I just didn't jinx myself). I did research this before I purchased my last 2 Libertys, and made sure I purchased an extended warranty that covers the window regulators until August of 2016 and up to 112,000 miles (although I hope I never have to use it). I am not a fan of the 2008 & up Dodge Nitro based Libertys. Definitely prefer the earlier model's styling which is why I went with a 2007. I hope it lasts me a long, long time.