2006 Jeep Liberty Consumer Review: Love everything about this car

2006 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Review

Love everything about this car, except the mileage!
By derrtydave on

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've been a Jeep owner for many years. After my 3rd Cherokee started showing signs of old age, I traded it in for a pre-owned 2006 Liberty Limited. When the Liberty's first came out, I didn't like the design, but it has grown on me. (I still compare the Liberty to the Cherokee, as you'll see). Everything seems intended specifically for convenience and space efficiency, well done Jeep! I also test-drove the new 2008 body style which I didnt feel was built as solidly as the original Liberty body style-- somehow felt cheaper and flimsy, like a bad rental car.

Solid. Feels like I would survive even the worst collision. Love the way they moved the vehicle's center of gravity (compared to the Cherokee) so the thing seems more stable, and the body design is such that the driver can see more of their road surroundings from the driver's seat. The rear seats have more room than the Cherokee's, including a split rear seat-back so you can fold down part of it and still seat a back passenger. Cargo bay has the same storage capacity with the seats down, as the Cherokee did, very efficient design. Handles extremely well, small turn base, responsive, what you'd expect from a Jeep.

The only thing I dont like about this is the mileage. I can pull about 20mpg on the highway, a mix of city/suburban driving gets me around 14mpg, and all-city driving gets me 12mpg if I'm lucky. You would think that they'd have figured out a way by now to get better mileage without sacrificing power/pickup. My Cherokees used to consistently get 15mpg city and sometimes 21mpg on the highway.