Used 2006 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Beware of 2006 Liberty
By MJ

2006 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Very nice SUV for the size and price range. However, there have been several recalls and it is hard to schedule the time to get them all fixed. Also, had to replace all four tires and front and rear brakes and rotors at 32,000 which is ridiculous in my opinion. Keep looking unless you are ready to handle the maintenance and have a second car to tide you over during its down time. At this point, I find the car hard to trust.

Love Love Love this car
By Nicole

2006 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Started leasing this car almost 3 years ago, and couldn't be happier with it. Only problem I ever had was the back wiper stopped working twice when I first got the car. I also had to get new brake pads and rotors but that was according to STS so who knows if I actually needed that done. SO much fun to drive, lots of power, love the available 4WD for when it snows. Mileage, of course, could be better. The lease is almost up and my dad is pushing me to get a dodge...I cried all the way home tonight thinking of how much I will miss my Jeep if I go through with the dodge deal :( I would love to have this car forever and ever and ever if I could.

Optional 4WD (I feel very safe), love the power, SO comfortable, very very reliable I feel like it won't let me down. Great sound system considering it's standard. Love the amount of cargo room. Design is top-notch, love the trunk space, I like to just sit in the trunk with the door open.

Better gas mileage. That's it.

Buyer Beware
By Lamont Johnson

2006 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Have the 2006 CRD model w/tow package. Pros: Small size, good acceleration and towing capability. Fuel mileage in town is acceptable. Cons: High maintenance vehicle. Numerous recalls and limited engine part availability causing more delays w/service. Have had to replace EGR valve ($230.00 dealer part) twice (once was under warranty). Local dealer (San Angelo, TX) and manufacturer support and service is substandard. Overall, could be a good "project" vehicle but be prepared to invest time and money to get it to its full potential. Highly advise researching the Jeep forums to learn of other "issues" before buying.

With the diesel engine, it could be a good durable long term vehicle if maintained. Has good towing capability for a small SUV.

More competently dealer trained service and parts personnel and part availability. No reasonably priced DIY service manual commonly available. Due to the extra weight of the diesel engine, need to upgrade to front suspension. OEM Goodyear Wrangler tires are "soft" and it needs a true truck tire.

Not Jeep Quality
By john

2006 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Thompson Jeep/Chrysler does fantastic work, however it seems Jeep quality continues to become worse and worse. This is the second Jeep I've purchased. The first was a 2005 Wrangler. I couldn't take all the problems and issues. Now my Liberty is causing me time from work. Every other week it something else going wrong. It's still under warranty and thank goodness I purchased the extended warranty. Page after page I keep reading about more and more Jeep Liberty problems, especially window regulator issues.

Style and looks. Excellent handling, great power.

Wish the Liberty had manual windows. Instead of changing the style to a wanna-B-Commander they could have improved other items.

Never Buy Another One
By Geraldine Ahrens

2006 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I probably won't buy any Chrysler product again. The windows of this Jeep have been fixed 5 times, (I see many other people have the same problem) and the car only has 15,000 miles on it. The panel for adjusting the mirrors keeps falling inside the door panel and has to be fished out. The dealership is good about fixing the windows, but what happens when the warranty runs out? The Jeep handles well on the road, the stabilizing feature works well, and overall I like driving it. This was my first American made car in years, (I have had VW, Nissan and Hyundai) but I am very disappointed in the craftsmanship of the quality of the Jeep.

A better built mechanism for the windows.