Used 2006 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Climate Problems
By Benjamin Hester

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

The Jeep Liberty (and other Chrysler family vehicles that share its components) is extremely prone to problems with the climate system. Multiple (FIVE) attempts to fix a problem common in this model where the air simply stops coming out of the vents (despite functional fan/cooling system) due to a faulty valve have been unsuccessful. Multiple Jeep dealers have failed to correctly identify or repair this problem due to the intermittent nature of occurrence (only occurs at high rates of speed, due to loss of vacuum pressure). Extremely disappointed in this otherwise excellent vehicle and in Jeep service - as this problem makes any use of our Liberty miserable in the Texas heat.

Not a positive word to say, regardless of other great features, since the climate control problem has been so persistent and makes owning the car a regrettable experience.

Take note of the horrible rating Consumer Reports surveys have given the climate control system for this vehicle and FIX the problem.

Windows Problem
By Diane

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned this Liberty less than 3 years. Since then 3 windows have stopped working: left rear window 2xs; left front window 1x. The left front is starting to go out again. When the vehicle was under warranty, Chrysler fixed the first 2 broken windows. I'm a high mileage driver: 25,000 miles/year. The vehicle is out of warranty DUE TO MILES and Chrysler will not cover fixing the third window. I would understand if the window had something to do with miles and it wore out. It's obviously a defective part & Chrysler won't stand behind their parts. Be prepared to pay appx. $450 to get the window fixed out of warranty. On a good note, the engine is great at 64,000 miles. No problems there.

The green color

Great Vehichle
By GreatJeepLiberty

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I too am shocked at all the bad reviews. I have had my Jeep Liberty since February 2006 and it has been totally great. The only 1 problem I have had is the back drivers side window fell and I had a friend lock it in place and needless to see other than it is locked in place that is the only thing I have had go wrong with this car. I have driven this vehicle over 65,000 miles and all I have done is change the oil and 1 set of tires. The brakes are original and this car is awesome. I look forward to driving this car for the next 65,000 miles...

I am SHOCKED!
By Lowgas627

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

After reading all of the horrible problems people have faced, I am SHOCKED! I have owned my Liberty since September 9th of 2006, and 34,700 miles later... have not had ONE problem! Maybe I am lucky, but I have adored this SUV. It is great in mud and snow, and I feel safe in bad weather. I have never had a window fail, though one did fall into the door, but the dealership replaced it with NO COST. I have gotten around 16 mpg (mostly city driving) through its lifetime. It's 3.7L is peppy and can pickup! The only thing that bugs me (I'm a clean freak) is the cloth seats are RIDICULOUS to get any kind of stains out (USE HOT SOAP WATER!) It has been a GREAT vehicle, and I recommend it!

Body Styling (2005-2007), feels safe!, quick and reliable engine, FUN TO DRIVE! Great little SUV.

Different cloth material for seats in Sport, gas mileage.

Jeep 06 Liberty
By Evelyn

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

My 2nd Jeep liberty, this one has problems onset, drive belt snapped within 6 months. Rainwater gets in the passenger side window even with Windows shut. Dealer will not fix window. Just reached 30k miles called dealer for the 30k service, they say its $575+ taxes. My local mechanic charged me half of that. If you can oversee the above problems and the 17 mpg fuel. Otherwise its a fun little suv to drive, but my next car will not be a Jeep liberty, unless Chrysler will make it more fuel efficient.

Fun to drive esp. for tailgate parties and lots of room for bulky stuff.

More fuel efficient, and fix the windows.