Used 2006 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

most unreliable suv ever owned, death trap
By v

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I was a jeep lover until I bought this jeep. Slows down from 55 , jerks stutters will not accelerate. Acts as if its going to just stop. Took it in for recall of tow hitch and catching on fire. Who wants a car that hesitates, will not accelerate without reason. More people will get killed. Had to wait for engine code replaced coil pack, tuned up, engine light comes on then drops code. Abs anti skid, eps warning lights on, replaced radiator. Cooling fan, brales, tires. Sensors. Over $2500 in a month. Scared to drive it I've replaced the regulator and the other replaced before I bought it.

Still in love
By rachmox

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my Liberty in Feb '07 with 54 miles on her. She's now at 162K miles, and I've only had to replace a rear control arm and the right rear passenger side window motor up until recently. The left rear window just crapped out a couple of months ago, and I'm about to replace my water pump and fix a leak in the evap system, but after 6.5 yrs, I can't complain. She's been the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. Took a hit from a light rail train that clipped my driver's side sideview mirror. It didn't even take the arm off, only the mirror itself popped out! A freaking train! I was in an accident in Dec and begged my insurance not to total her. So yeah, I love my Liberty.

I love that the window controls are between the seats, and not on the doors. No worrying about the dogs stepping on the button and choking themselves. Plenty of room for 5 people. All around fun vehicle to drive!

Better motors for the windows, since that seems to be a major issue with a lot of Liberty owners.

Not Good
By jillcurry5

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my Jeep Liberty for 5 years, I have had to have my air conditioner fixed 3 times. The windows have dropped 5 times, there was a recall on some jeeps in 2006, bad luck for mine did not make that cut, I now have 2 windows broken and don't have 700.00 to fix them.Too bad say's Jeep, The back seat is covered in stains,because of a the type of material used . I will never buy another car from Jeep, and very sorry I bought the one Im stuck with.

When you make a product that is just not good, take responsabily and fix the problem...

Jeep Liberty
By bailey26

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this vehicle for 3 years, in that time I have spent over 5,000 dollars just in repairs. The rear windows both have fallen off, that is about 350. each time. I have had the air conditioning, heat, transmission, misc electrical and switches fixed. The fabric that they use for the seats is horrid. It stains instantly, even if you drip water on it you cant get the stain out. The seats are uncomfortable and there is not much backseat room.

I do like the 4 wheel handling, it's great in the snow. It is fun to drive and turns on a dime.

Better built engine system, upholstery needs changing, fix the window problem. There just seems to be a need for quality control or rebuilding of the vehicle.

Bad Idea
By bmd3

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I owned my 2006 Jeep Liberty for 4 years and I had nothing but problems. I just sold it and have never been happier to be rid of it. It saw the garage once a month. It is very hard on brakes, tires, the calipers continually seize and I can't tell you how many times I've driven around with a smoking wheel and the smell of burned rubber in the car. It blew fuses, had to have the back springs replaced, it sometimes will not start.....never, ever again.