2005 Jeep Liberty 2.4L 4-cyl. 4x4 6-speed Manual Consumer Review - Jeep Liberty 2.8 CRD

2005 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Review

Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4-cyl. 4x4 6-speed Manual)

Jeep Liberty 2.8 CRD
By James Collins on

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

As fuel prices started to rise I took the Liberty 2.8 CRD for a spin; after the test ride I traded my 2002 Renegade in for it. My last Liberty saved me from serious injury when I hit a deer head on at 60MPH and only did cosmetic damage to it. The diesel Jeep has as much power as the 6 cylinder. I average about 24 miles a gallon in mixed driving and it is one of the most fun cars I have ever owned. I'm 6'4" and it is a little tight but I have driven it all over the east coast with my wife and 3 kids. I am a law enforcement officer and I have to be able to get to work under any conditions and the Liberty has done that for me. The Jeep is a real 4WD and gets the job done.

Favorite Features

It has a very tight turning radius and is easy to park. The turbo diesel is very peppy in the low end. 500 miles between tankfuls is a pleasure. The car has no pretense; it is an easy to drive SUV that goes almost anywhere.

Suggested Improvements

A towing package should come standard with the car. Draining water from the fuel filter should be more straight forward. The in-car tire pressure monitor and control should come standard since the car is so capable off road.