Great all-around small family SUV
By kal13 on
2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)
Great little family SUV if you need real off-road performance. Bought it used with 50,000 miles and now three years later with 107,000 miles have had to do nothing but routine maintenance. Just drove it across country (3,600 miles in one week) with no issues going 80+ mph. I change the oil & filter every 6,000mi along with tire rotation and alignment; all other fluids every 30,000 miles and it still drives and runs like new. Has plenty of power and even more torque, no problem passing when needed. Have used it off-road almost everyweekend for three years and always gets me there and back. Handles 12+ inches of snow or mud with ease and has no issues in two feet of water.
Favorite Features
Extremely solid build - feels much better built than my wife's subaru or my previous honda. Off-road and poor weather ability - I have no problem keeping up with friends in their Wranglers and FJ Cruisers. Great for snowy mountain roads and unmaintained forest roads. This thing is also at home on the beach in soft sand. Interior feels luxurious for a jeep, very soft yet durable dash and door trim. Have driven many other vehicles since purchasing this Jeep including BMW, VW, Chevy, Honda etc and nothing feels as solid, versatile, or simply fun to drive.
Suggested Improvements
More masculine styling; I did not even consider the liberty at first due to looks but my wife convinced me to test drive a renegade and it turned out to be a great choice. Bring back the solid front axle of the old cherokees - the independent front suspension has its limitations in regards to lift height and ease of home maintenance. could use more storage space up front for things like sunglasses, change, etc. The stock tires are horrible; Jeep should be ashamed to put them on a 4x4 - I recommend replacing them immediately with anything else. MPG of course; 15 city 18 hwy(75-85mph) I can get 22mpg w/ cruise at 65mph but cannot bring myself to drive that slow.